Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Why isn't StepMania illegal?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

60. PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that you saw where those documents were linked means that you also saw where our designated location for legal pontification is.

In other words, don't talk about that here. We already have a thread for that.

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Laundry
Trick Member
Trick Member

61. PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00t

Last edited by Laundry on Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Linglingexe87
Trick Member
Trick Member

62. PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why you'all hating on stepmania? fat people that cant dance on the d-pad can play stepmania(one of those fat people was me im on standard)
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
heavymaniac
Trick Member
Trick Member

63. PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: SM vs. Konami Reply with quote

Okay, so I have been reading most of this thread and it seems like all of you beleive that stepmania isn't taking away from counsle sales, which must be wrong.

I mean, My main idea when getting really into DDR was that I would try to get any Konami dance game available.(it felt like the US versions sucked and I wanted as many songs available at home)

So what did I do? My idea quickly changed when Ii found out I could download every game of DDR ( including arcade and jap versions) I didn't waste all my money buying the counsle versions, instead I went out and bought the best pads I could afford, then plugged into my computer.

Whether or not Konami THINKS that SM might be helping their counsle sales, it seems like that couldn't possibley be the case.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
kamron_1
Trick Member
Trick Member

64. PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: The real reason... Reply with quote

Mint Blancmanche wrote:
ddR MiDNiGHt wrote:
Yeah. Isn't it illegal for DDR machines to be in america? It says somewhere in DDR, I forgot, "This game is for use and sale only in Japan" or something like that.

At this point, I don't think Konami cares. It's getting them home-version business.

even if Konami doesn't care, sometimes they can't do anything about it
example: went to vegas last week, and i learned that all the hotels there are considered private property, meaning that the Arcades are also considered private property. Legally they can't do anything about the hotel's DDR machine since it is privately owned.

at least this is how i understand it

on a sidenote: Someone tell me why Roxor hasn't gotten sued yet, i went to Gameworks Las Vegas and i saw an ITG machine and it was running on a DDR cabinet (it still had the DDR decals on the speakers), i know this might completely contradict what i stated above, but is this legal?
Trick Member
Trick Member

65. PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like people are saying that they did get sued, its all kinda blury at this point, could someone please link us to information about the related lawsuits if there actually is any?
Rychan
Contributor
Contributor

66. PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heavymaniac wrote:
seems like people are saying that they did get sued, its all kinda blury at this point, could someone please link us to information about the related lawsuits if there actually is any?
Actually there's a really nice FAQ titled The Case Against Roxor: A Brief Overview of Civil Litigation I hope that helps.
Trick Member
Trick Member

67. PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if stepmania is legal, or at least still being allowed to download, why isnt stepmaniax? or is it just more rare because not that many people mod there xbox's?
Klayton_123
Trick Member
Trick Member

68. PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.... Japanese mixes for consoles are SUPPOST to be only for Japan. But I have all of em cause of my mod chip. This is ILLEAGLE because of copyright and bull crap that america has. That is why you need a mod chip, because american consoles are made to only play NTFS not NTFS-J.

On the topic of Stepmania being illeagle.... If it was so illeagle why wasnt stepmania shut down from the start. They PROBABLY got permission from Konami to use all their songs.

Now... On the topic of stepmania being for fat people. I use my metal pad on stepmania, thats why there is a config key/joy option. It very well have been disigned for "Fat people" when it was first starting. highly doubt it though.
Where there is impossibility there is possibility, and where there is possibility there is impossibility; It is because there is a right that there is a wrong, It is because there is a wrong that there is a right.
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
heavymaniac
Trick Member
Trick Member

69. PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: pretty please Reply with quote

answer me!
kamron_1
Trick Member
Trick Member

70. PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klayton_123 wrote:
K.... Japanese mixes for consoles are SUPPOST to be only for Japan. But I have all of em cause of my mod chip. This is ILLEAGLE because of copyright and bull crap that america has. That is why you need a mod chip, because american consoles are made to only play NTFS not NTFS-J.

er... i think you mean NTSC-U/C and NTSC-J

NTSF is the windows file format

anywho, JP mixes are totally legal to own and use, so long as it's not in use publically, or resold, because importing the music on your own is fine, if you're nor making a profit.

but that's a different topic....

personally, i think Konami should ask the SM dev team to change their license from MIT to a GPL or something of that nature, to prevent another Roxor from coming because of the sm code
Trick Member
Trick Member

71. PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klayton_123 wrote:
On the topic of Stepmania being illeagle.... If it was so illeagle why wasnt stepmania shut down from the start. They PROBABLY got permission from Konami to use all their songs.

Now... On the topic of stepmania being for fat people. I use my metal pad on stepmania, thats why there is a config key/joy option. It very well have been disigned for "Fat people" when it was first starting. highly doubt it though.

Stepmania does not use Konami's songs. If you use Stepmania to play Konami's songs, that's your own LEGEL (note spelling) issue. Konami would not say "Oh yes, you can use our songs for your similar dance game."

Stepmania is not "for fat people." It has nothing against fat people, but it's sugarfree and tastes a bit gross. Definitely doesn't pander to the fat market.
kamron_1
Trick Member
Trick Member

72. PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, one month bump, but yes, CreenyNogat is right (and your name BTW makes me hungry). legally if you were to consider Stepmania a backup copy of your song (which is a streach to begin with), you'd have to make the backup yourself for it to be completely legal. the thing is, Stepmania isn't DDR, it's simply a simulator, which means that Konami could send a C&D order any time they'd like, but they don't, since in reality they don't mind.

Nintendo spells this out very clearly here
Trick Member
Trick Member

73. PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh... Nintendo's site on the legality of emulators, and rom copiers is slightly misleading. There was a website that disproved some of the things said, but I can't find it (it was old).

Roms on the other hand: illegal mostly except for homebrewed and public domain. Sad and annoying but true. frown.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
paranoidmaxxmachine
Trick Member
Trick Member

74. PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if stepmania becomes illegal, ill STILL play it :x
Trick Member
Trick Member

75. PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creemy▶◀Nougat wrote:
Klayton_123 wrote:

Stepmania does not use Konami's songs. If you use Stepmania to play Konami's songs, that's your own LEGEL (note spelling) issue.

It may even be your own LEGAL issue...
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
zaphod
Trick Member
Trick Member

76. PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God you people are silly sometimes.

That "authorized for use only in blah blah blah" is boilerplate slapped on every arcade game, and is basic CYA stuff. it's extra neccesary on DDR because of the fact that the liscenses that were accquired only permit usage in japan, and different people own the songs in the different countries. Konami has no problem with the legit games out there, but they officially can't support them, and must pretend it's not allowed to prevent attack from song copyright owners. This is also why they've actually placed such screens on their home versions, which is usually considered unneeded. the music issue. But again, they are wisely having a don't ask, don't tell policy here.

Bottom line is unles someone does something really silly and actually TELLS them about it, and the ddr machine is actually in a public establishment, then it may get removed. but as long as Konami doesn't know where it is, they don't care. And many places are private establishments, which is how people usually sidestep being sued over this.

Now lets see Stepmania. they are clearly violating patents, but because they themselves are not profiting, and not really hurting Konami any, they are being left alone. I suspect DanceTrax will liscense the ddr gameplay patents if konami wins the suit. A lot rides on the outcome of this suit. if those patents turn out to be enforceable, then Stepmania is illegal. It still will probably be ignored, but any commercial ventures using the patented gameplay elements will be attacked. If they turn out to be unenforceable, then it's open season.

CHangin the theme will not completely clear yourself of the gameplay patents. Neon FM changed enough thet they slipped by, but i suspect they didn't get all of the patents covered. Dancetrax is definitely as infirnging as stepmania is in this regard.
Tsukasa_
Basic Member
Basic Member

77. PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to assume for a few minutes several things about how you are viewing this forum.
1. You are using a computer to view this forum.
2. You are using some sort of internet browser to access this page.
3. You are accessing this browser using an operating system other than a Mac OS(Let me know if this is wrong for the majority of you.)

These 3 assumptions are where I will start my argument

3. Apple tried to sue Microsoft over the feel of the windowing operating system that they had "created." Apple failled and we are now stuck with the Windows' series operating systems. Also for the linux users x-windows or some other version of a windowing operating system or windowing fall under this category. This means that the feel of a software packege is not copywrited. Hell I even use a Mac OS theme on my Windows XP box

Therefore even if one software package behaves or appears similar to another software packege it is not violating any copywrite laws based on this precident.

(Due to the fact that 75% of most of the Windows OS is now blaintantly stolen in one form or another from one source or another (mostly IBM and several Linux items), I'd almost believe it's not wrong to steal code inorder to complete a project.)

2. Unless you are using the first version or a direct dirivative there of made by the initial programmer or programming company of Mozaic or a product creted under direct licence from either of those sources, your use of this browser constitutes the same issues that I used in the previous argument.

1. Well....I certainly am. And I'm not using an MITTS, the first personal computer. The same argument for software patents can be applied to hardware patents. It can be disgned to behave in a similar way to other hardware, but must not be identicle in design. Therefore we have so many legal supplers of the hardware that we can run StepMania and other DDR derivatives on. Personaly I use an AMD machine and enjoy playing StepMania using a PS2-USB addapter.

StepMainia copies the feel and look of DDR.
It, however, doesn't break the copyrite.
View users profile Send private message Send email
M3wThr33
Trick Member
Trick Member

78. PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StepmaniaX is illegal because it needs to be compiled with the XDK, a stolen Developer Kit from Microsoft.

I can't say much about the rest, but rest assured, Stepmania and ITG aren't going anywhere. E13.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ryustarmine
Basic Member
Basic Member

79. PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh so thats why it isnt illegal i get it now =)

View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: