Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

TV commercial for Nike Monster Shox
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Dogg
Administrator
Administrator

60. PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OATWHEELS wrote:
Thank you for warning me and not the legions of drones that posted retarded shit before me. Sense is blasting into my brains out of the computer screen as I type this and I have found new meaning, which is to love DDR no matter what because I'm too obsessed with Japanese people and a video game's release date to notice how flawed the game and it's horrible community is.

You're welcome. You flamed, you get a warning. You flamed again, you get another warning. You are 1 point away from a ban. I suggest you stop posting for the rest of today before you get yourself banned.
Trick Member
Trick Member

61. PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark_keeper wrote:
Konami hates US DDR? Really. Why did they make 2 ps2 games and pads for it, as well as an xbox version with extra downloadable content? Why are they making 2 more US versions if they hate it? That's gotta be one of the dumbest things I've heard. Plus it's creating Konami paychecks; I don't think any company "hates" games that make them money.

There's a slight difference between their AM division and their CS division, sure their CS division has been going nuts with the new DDREX and DDRUM, but have you seen their AM division flinch any? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think DDR USA was the last one they made specifically for us.

But my small view on this, is that Konami is losing out on a fanbase that wants their product. Andamiro recognizes this and jumps at the opportunity.

You can compare it to this. Nokia never made flip phones because they were so against the idea and thought they would never do well, in comes Motorola, Samsung, Sanyo - all companies with small wireless divisions - and start making flip phones themselves, the phones are a hit and Nokia lost the market for those phones. Granted, they are big enough to sustain the loss and look like nothing hurt.

But a great business is always striving to get that next customer, and Konami is writing the book on how not to do that. Andamiro is there, and whether you like it or not, people now know that there is another out there, and with enough push, PIU will do more than well in the mainstream US market and Konami will have their heads up their asses wondering where the hell they were.
Trick Member
Trick Member

62. PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konami doesn't even HAVE an AM division in America anymore, and they aren't the only company. You know why? American arcades are doing crappy. PIU may sell some more cabinets here and in Mexico, but Konami is selling a heck of a lot more IIDX, PNM, GF, and DM cabinets in Japan, where arcades are actually a good industry to get into.
s7yl33
Trick Member
Trick Member

63. PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anybody actually tried these shoes? jus curious if i should buy em or not... cuz i need some new shoes biggrin.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
DizzyBum
Trick Member
Trick Member

64. PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shox are retarded. Don't buy them. Instead, buy shoes that look decent and are comfortable.
sfetaz
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

65. PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal Preference is New Balance. You can and will find a shoe perfect for your foot with them. I have 12 and a half, 4E shoes designed for flat feet.
View users profile Send private message
natedawg
Trick Member
Trick Member

66. PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Personal Preference is New Balance. You can and will find a shoe perfect for your foot with them. I have 12 and a half, 4E shoes designed for flat feet.

I agree to this. I have flat feet and have been wearing new balances for years. Even though I buy a new pair every year, I haven't had to get rid of my old ones. They take a beating and don't fall apart.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Clay0K
Staff Member
Staff Member

67. PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a ko-wink-ee-dink that they used the original Winter song. It got my attention.

Commercial = success.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Bania
Trick Member
Trick Member

68. PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this thread today...I was in the commercial, but only one of the shadowers / the challenger's "posse." I personally think the commercial sucked relative to the amount of (and quality of other) footage they got.

For the curious ones, I'm in the orange tank top, and show up best right at the end patting the challenger on the back.

They didn't have to pay anything to use Winter; it's public domain, but yeah. Really weak commercial. They just had the two main dancers running around the pad in the same manner cuz while Brian (challenger) fit the bill for their character, he wasn't as good as Ryan (champion) at pump. so yeah, that's all i got...

EDIT: the Shox are really nice to DDR in. I've done my best on So Deep, Stoic, and Twilight Zone (only 3 i could think of off the top of my head) with them, but they are a bit slippery compared to the vans I use as well. Shox are way hella lighter, but almost too springy.
DDRmaniacplayer
Trick Member
Trick Member

69. PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really hate the commercial as most of the people in this thread do. I actually think its pretty cool to actually a a Bemani game in a commercial. As for V, or Winter, I think thats pretty cool to. I mean, just because they don't use DDR doesn't mean that its not as successful.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
GeeForce
Trick Member
Trick Member

70. PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that people are going to see this commercial and say "oh look it's that dancing game I saw in the mall!" Yes, someone already posted that, but I'm too lazy to do the quote or look up who it was. I agree with you man. Besides, IMO, the clip of them actually playing was like one sixteenth of a second, and people who don't play DDR or PIU aren't gonna notice the difference.

As for the shoes, I really like the Nike Shox and those new ones they came out with because they're really light. I used to have Reeboks and it would take me like 2 songs at the arcade to get used to the big weights on my feet after practicing at home in my socks. Shox good! thumb.gif

Other opinions:
-I think they picked the song because IMO it goes really good with the theme of the whole commercial.
-I kinda like the "Asians are good at DDR" stereotype, even though I know several Mexicans who can kick their asses.....
-Oatwheels, I like your idea, I think you have a good point, I agree with you, but you need to take a chill pill. Seriously. Go to CVS and get some. If you didn't have such an attitude more people might have taken you seriously, and you wouldn't have been warned.

Tassadar wrote:
MinsiKid wrote:
is just a good feeling.

Have you considered heroin?
GeeForce
Trick Member
Trick Member

71. PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post. Sorry riiight.gif

Tassadar wrote:
MinsiKid wrote:
is just a good feeling.

Have you considered heroin?
DDRtimmyDDR
Trick Member
Trick Member

72. PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO ROFL did anybody see the pump it up pad made out of crates when the guys mom is talking its hillarious~~~ its near the beggining in the background standing up i just found that funny
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Bania
Trick Member
Trick Member

73. PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDRtimmyDDR wrote:
LMAO ROFL did anybody see the pump it up pad made out of crates when the guys mom is talking its hillarious~~~ its near the beggining in the background standing up i just found that funny

To clarify, it's not a pad, and the one he's dancing on isn't metal. The one standing up is a home-made display that lights up, and the dude is supposed to follow the patterns as the milk crate thing lights up by dancing on the one below him (made of wood, with hollow PIU buttons that have squeaky toys in them...).

Why do they have squeaky toys underneath the pad arrows??? Who fuk'n knows...damn Belgian directors, I swear they were the weirdest two ppl I've ever known...
Super Sapien
Trick Member
Trick Member

74. PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have New Balances, they have served me well and earned my a few AA's in my time. I've only been playing for 2 years, but that's long enough to know what light or comfortable shoes feel like... and size 13's can be mighty hefty.

Haven't tried Shox though, so I can't really say. I'd like to try them though.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Protocol
Basic Member
Basic Member

75. PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think it was that bad of a commercial, and was quite amused.

Also, did anyone else notice that "The Challenger" had his side on a speed multiplier? At first, I thought he had it on a lower level, but then realized his arrows were just scrolling faster. Maybe THAT helped him win. laugh.gif E13.gif
jennythecat
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

76. PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry double post. ):

Last edited by jennythecat on Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total
jennythecat
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

77. PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Look, i got 2 answers from the people doing auditions.
Reason #1: Konami doesnt want the Nike name tied to them.
Reason #2: Licencing $$$$$ and Konami hates US DDR

The people who came out from NY to do the casting calls knew both jack and sh*t about DDR. They were just some folks subcontracted from the company that made the commercial for the sole purpose of doing the casting. So I highly doubt they would know the "real" reason that they chose PIU over DDR. Besides, don't those sound like pretty idiotic reasons anyway?

My guess is with Konami not having an American arcade division, they had a hard time finding anyone to contact about using the game in the commerical, so they went with what they thought was the next best thing. The average shoe buyer isn't going to know DDR from PIU, they'll just recognize it as "that dancing game."

I'm not a fan of the commercial though. Here's some trivia tho: you know Brian, the hometown hick, er, hero in the commercial? The lady who plays his mom in the commercial is his real mom. I thought that was pretty cool.

Jen

www.arcadejapan.com
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

78. PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Pump It Up used because it's the dancing game in USA and DDR is the dancing game in Japan?

Anywho, I went to the site and watched it. It was dumb but I really like the song Winter. It reminded me of V so much, probably because they soung alike. =P

Anywho on un-related news, isn't V and Winter songs from the same composer?

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
davidbrit2
Trick Member
Trick Member

79. PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

St00pidBaka wrote:
Anywho, I went to the site and watched it. It was dumb but I really like the song Winter. It reminded me of V so much, probably because they soung alike. =P

Anywho on un-related news, isn't V and Winter songs from the same composer?

Uh, Pump it Up's "Winter" and DDR's "V" are remakes of the exact same song. I think they're based on "Winter" from Antonio Vivaldi's "Four Seasons". Right?

Last edited by davidbrit2 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: