Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Article exposes the "dark side" of DDR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGB
Trick Member
Trick Member

20. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I popped into the DDRKC forums, and i noticed a strong sense of unity. All I can say is I smell lawsuit.

Not to mention, this story looked like it was written by a high-schooler.

-Jon
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
devilon
Trick Member
Trick Member

21. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning everyone.

Guess who?

If anyone would bother to check their own forums every once in a while, I do believe I talked about that article when it came out... or that might have just been Bemanistyle. In any event, that was all over the net a while ago, so good job for getting it right after it's completely died.

In other news, I know a few of the admins/mods know this, but Wayne Giles == Devilon. Yeah, that was me.

Around 75% of that article was complete and total BS, made up by the author to make it a more tantalizing story. Those who were around when the article was written know that I wrote an editorial response to the letter that was printed two weeks later in the same paper.

I've been done trying to respond to people's questions, defending myself, or doing anything involving this article for a while now. It's old, dead news, and I really do not appreciate it being brought back into the limelight like this.

Anyways, rampage/J Dogg/another admin, do me a favor, one of you msg me on AIM, because I would like to talk to you about this.

As for the rest of you, lemme clarify a few small things:

Quote:
Matrix walking, hm? Screw him. No wrecking the machine! This dude loses.

The machine was already shot, and besides, it wasnt a true Matrix walk, I dont even really touch the screen, I actually hit the left select button.

Quote:
and he thinks hes all good because he was one of the best at ddr in his areea, I think we should all go own him in it and show him he really actually sucks at ddr and life.

*defends ego* check my NNR records... I AM one of the best in my area, and within the top 30 in the country, if you wanna get technical. It's quite funny how you can flame a faceless being with no problem, but when they step up in your face, things change.

Quote:
omg, he's a goddamn college dropout goth kid that just so happens to play DDR.

I'm NOT a goth kid, thanks.

- Wayne Giles
3. When I'm proving them wrong in a hilarious belittling fashion.

I've been here longer than most of you.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Syxx
Trick Member
Trick Member

22. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you people know who this guy is? nono.gif And you're just bashing him just from some article you read?

EDIT: NM
moojoe
Trick Member
Trick Member

23. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
Matrix walking, hm? Screw him. No wrecking the machine! This dude loses.

The machine was already shot, and besides, it wasnt a true Matrix walk, I dont even really touch the screen, I actually hit the left select button.

it doesnt matter, you still dont do that poopy on a machine, not matter how bad it is, and hitting the button still hurts it

and nontheless, stealing is still extremely wrong
Trick Member
Trick Member

24. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devilon wrote:

*defends ego* check my NNR records... I AM one of the best in my area, and within the top 30 in the country, if you wanna get technical. It's quite funny how you can flame a faceless being with no problem, but when they step up in your face, things change.

Welcome to the Internet. :-p <3.

I suggest threatening a lawsuit for libel. From what I was reading on your forums, a lot of thier actions were indeed libelious (sp?), and basically defaming yourself and your community. The media can twist things, but only so far. This is an instance where it was twisted too much. Far too much.

-Jon
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Syxx
Trick Member
Trick Member

25. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On top of that ddrfreak shouldn't have dug this crap up and posted it on the main page.
Fr0sty
Trick Member
Trick Member

26. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say we all flame this dude. I mean, even if we don't like the guy portrayed in the article, the author had NO REASON to bash DDR players. They could've mentioned it here and there, but they completely FLAMED us. It makes you wonder, who does the author hate more? The one theft or the DDR community? We can't let this dude get away with this, it's this BS that kills games. You get enough of these articles and DDR WILL be seen as the game for nerds, druggies, pedophiles, etc.

So fellow DDR players, flame the **** out of him!
View users profile Send private message
eddi.
Trick Member
Trick Member

27. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syxx wrote:
On top of that ddrfreak shouldn't have dug this crap up and posted it on the main page.

yeah, i didn't see a point to posting this on the main page other than to stir up flames and controversy
bad ddrfreak!
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
rathstar
Trick Member
Trick Member

28. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't too responsible for DDRFreak to post this article in its context; however, some good can come of this.

Looking on the DDRKC forums, it seems that many local players expressed their anger in the form of a letter to the editor. Imagine if people around the world all did the same? That guy would be gone so fast...
J. S. Mill
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

29. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't just smell lawsuit. Time to do something.

If you are John Bonfillo or have some way of reaching him please contact me at Kiba@s2ki.com if you would like to pursue legal action against this newspaper. There will be no charge, details to be given upon receipt of email.

If you are directly involved with this article and are interested in legal action against this newspaper please send me an email at the same adress.

I am not at home right now, when I get home I will send a message through the DDRKC system.
Trick Member
Trick Member

30. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEE I TOLD, THE DDR GAME DOES IT TO YOU.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
NegativeSpace
Basic Member
Basic Member

31. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing died,and blew over,no one got in trouble and no one cares about it anymore,I think I can speak for John (Axiom) and Wayne (Devilon) when I say they just want to forget about this,they are both fine,and everyone else is fine.We want this to die,the guy who wrote it was a complete douche who simply failed to see the community aspect of the game.But that's fine,not everyone can,the only thing he found interesting was drama,but this is dead,and we want it to stay that way.No lawsuits,nothing,we moved on.

Oh yeah,We (most of ddrkc),have all already sent out letters to the editor,and to Mr. Ben Paynter about this.We let him know how we felt,and that's all we needed I think.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
J. S. Mill
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

32. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NegativeSpace wrote:
This thing died,and blew over,no one got in trouble and no one cares about it anymore,I think I can speak for John (Axiom) and Wayne (Devilon) when I say they just want to forget about this,they are both fine,and everyone else is fine.We want this to die,the guy who wrote it was a complete douche who simply failed to see the community aspect of the game.But that's fine,not everyone can,the only thing he found interesting was drama,but this is dead,and we want it to stay that way.No lawsuits,nothing,we moved on.

Oh yeah,We (most of ddrkc),have all already sent out letters to the editor,and to Mr. Ben Paynter about this.We let him know how we felt,and that's all we needed I think.

Understandable and very respectable. If you are ever interested in pursuing anything, I will be available to help. If not, I applaud your patience and your positive attitude.
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

33. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NegativeSpace wrote:

Understandable and very respectable. If you are ever interested in pursuing anything, I will be available to help. If not, I applaud your patience and your positive attitude.
Trick Member
Trick Member

34. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Head bowed, he kneels on the makeshift dance floor. When the techno beat drops, he's on his feet. He takes a few steps and then jumps 180 degrees to face forward. He crosses his arms in front of him while high-stepping, boy-band style, and then drops back to the floor to pound arrows with his palms. He grabs the bar behind him and takes three giant steps up the side of the machine, kicking off and landing back on the pad.

Sheesh, couldnt you think of something better to do than look like an idiot? You have to look at least a little bit attractive and G.... And you wonder why people throw "empty soda cans" at you.
Trick Member
Trick Member

35. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPF5.Kiba wrote:
If you are John Bonfillo or have some way of reaching him please contact me at Kiba@s2ki.com if you would like to pursue legal action against this newspaper. There will be no charge, details to be given upon receipt of email.

He can be contacted at the DDRKC Forum here's the link to it

http://www.ddrkc.com/boards/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=163&sid=9004f9628b204c1da82a473dda79c8cf

Now as far as this article is concerned...the e-mail of the guy who wrote the article can be reached here Ben.Paynter@pitch.com

Who's up for some flaming? laugh.gif

Osaka wants some love tooooooo
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
rampage
Administrator
Administrator

36. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys obviously didn't read what I wrote. For one, I put forth a very sarcastic slant in the headline. Secondly, I linked to the rebuttal and even made it a point to say how ridiculous and blown out of proportion this story was.

Just because it's old news to the DDRKC crew, it's new to a lot of us.

The story is a bunch of sensational nonsense, but it is press about DDR, and that's newsworthy in itself.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
AxioM
Trick Member
Trick Member

37. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everyone. =)

Yeah, at the time, I went through a big fiasco trying to straighten my position out after this was written. I can tell you myself that a very big majority of what went on in that article was just the authors bias opinion. It's more than obvious how he feels as he shines a more than just a bit degrading light on our friends, and fellow players.

Oh well, we're all entitled to opinion. We got duped, and we learned our lesson: "Don't trust the media with anything you want portrayed positively." E10.gif

Like NegativeSpace said, the DDRKC community had already forgotten about this, it's old news, and we'd appreciate it if it wasn't made to be a big deal anymore, because at this point in time, no one really cares anymore.

I know what I believe, and what is truth. I have alot of fun with my friends while I participate in community related activities, and the illegalities mentioned are the choice of an individual, not the community. People do things that public would construe as "bad" anywhere. We simply made the mistake of hoping for a bit of positive publicity and got screwed over.

So in summation, I'm long over this, and I hope everyone who's reading it here will let it go as well. Thanks all.
xdamienx
Basic Member
Basic Member

38. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm the 14 year old they are referring to in that article. (Damien = DMAN on NNR http://nnr.ca/DDR/profile.php?UserID=525 , and DamienDMAN on AIJ)

Basically...I'm going to just agree with what Anthony (Negative Space) and John said, it's dead, and we want it to stay that way. No one got in trouble, Wayne is ghey (<3 Wayne), and my legs flow like mercury laugh.gif

So yeah, everyone stfu about it...thx =)
View users profile Send private message
Tsuka18
Trick Member
Trick Member

39. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NNR records dont mean anything to players who are awesome at DDR yet have no idea what that is. Most of those players dont even speak english, so before people starts spreading bullshit on "I R0X0R THE NNR R3c0rDZ LOL!!!!", remember that. I didnt know there was such a thing until today, and I've been playing since 1998, when Paranoia was the Paranioa Survivor Max Oni. Kansas is fairly close to where I live now, Bartlesville, Oklahoma. Perhaps we should set up a tournament there. The only DDR machine here is in Washington Park Mall in Cyberstation. Lets go.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: