Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Article exposes the "dark side" of DDR
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rampage
Administrator
Administrator

0. PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Article exposes the "dark side" of DDR Reply with quote

This is kind of old news to some, but an entry on the BoingBoing Blog links to a story in Kansas City's The Pitch music magazine highlighting the escapades of a local player's obsession with the game and the things he did to support his habit.

Our friends at DDRKC were quick to reply with a rebuttal and noting how this article went to great lengths to blow everything way out of proportion.

Some interesting reading here.

Coming soon: FOX Presents: When DDR Players Go Bad #2.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
Project: J-ko
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting read.

I didn't really have any sympathy for the guy, since he was stealing and all, but then...

Page 6 of that article wrote:
He grabs the bar behind him and takes three giant steps up the side of the machine, kicking off and landing back on the pad.

Matrix walking, hm? Screw him. No wrecking the machine! This dude loses.

Sad, really.
DDR_Manga
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely asinine read.
This isn't the dark side of DDR... This is dark side of anything. If people react to this poorly, they might as well step off and stop doing whatever they're doing. I mean, this happens with any interest, with any group. With car enthusiasts, TCG enthusiasts, and especially in businesses.

It's dumb to even think that this article says anything other than "Yeah, there was someone who was a dumb buttocks who plays DDR." That's all I really got from it.
Du5k
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im still trying to fig out what this article is about? DDR? Or this losers life.

Last time I checked. You dont get sex after DDR.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Black Lab
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

4. PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the first page describes almost exactly what some former CVGL employees did two summers ago. They got busted, the employee involved fired, and 4 people that pushed the stolem tokens fined. I chuckled when I read that.
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The saying "too much of a good thing is bad" is true for anything. Hey, one glass of Beer can be heathy, but many glasses will make you do thing that you may regret. We should be careful on how much we do something we like.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope nobody's stupid enough to paint all DDR players in this light. There's always going to be one bad apple in a bunch, but let's not let the few ruin it for the many.

~Avatar Z
View users profile Send private message
radicalfaith360
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDR players going bad...that's a new one on me. peoples.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
DaBesDiabetic
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was it me or is this article about a dumbass who just happens to play ddr?
Catastrophe
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Dumbass Reply with quote

Dumbass who happens to play DDR.

He's lucky he never had to pay for anything he stole. That article makes it look like he got away with the theft even after getting caught. (Besides the XBox.)

And was his freestyle routine supposed to be his exit to DDR or something?
View users profile Send private message
robbiej
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDR was not in Lost In Translation actually. In the movie, they focused on people playing Pop N Music, Guitarfreaks, and Taiko no tatsujin. You can see the blue light of an IIDX machine flashing somewhere in the background but never do you see DDR.

Seriously, that magazine has lost any credibility it once had just with that article. Any article that references Biker Boys is well.. just rediculous. And what 'freestyle' setting can you pick on DDR? He raises his middle finger toward the screen? Give me a fucking break. As if some 'internet star/high roller' ....ugh, you know what? I'm not even going to finish this. There's no point. This person is obviously so dillusional that its just not worth it to spend the time and energy to explain what everyone in this thread I'm sure, already knows and feels.
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people at aracades steal tokens all the time to play their games and not just for DDR. This article seems like an excuse to bash DDR. Where's the article about how this one guy almost stole a Capcom vs SNK 2 machine?
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and he thinks hes all good because he was one of the best at ddr in his areea, I think we should all go own him in it and show him he really actually sucks at ddr and life.
Dur'rian
Basic Member
Basic Member

13. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read some of the quotes in this article.

"It was like second nature," Giles says. "If you do something wrong too much, it doesn't even feel like it's wrong anymore."

In every arcade, we have what's called a fan club," he says. "A group of girls, normally underage, that are just desperately, madly obsessed with us."

Do those sound like things somebody would actually say? These "quotes" are the type of thing these reporters would dream of kids saying. They scream criminal. Come on. Read some other Pitch articles. You get the idea of what type of journalists these people are.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Zantetsuken
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word of the day... is "libel".

Can you say "libel", kids? *crowd of players screaming "The Pitch!"* I knew that you could.

I'd write a letter to the guy myself, except the KC players are the ones who truly deserve to express their indignation.
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find it obsurd to think that someone would have the ignorance to pull a stunt like that... guess like the people above me said, "there's always one bad apple in the bunch"...

that's just another thing to give DDR players a bad name... thank god he got caught, i find it childish to pull the crap he did... it's a privelage to work in an arcade... and he abused that privelage... so i feel no sympathy whatsoever...

and about that matrix walk, gg kid, lol frust.gif

gamertag: shadowedeclipse
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
VashTheStampede579
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Scum Reply with quote

He's scum. A bad example of a DDR player. Of course here in newnan we got some pretty bad people who play here too, but they don't steal tokens!
Lenoh
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg, he's a goddamn college dropout goth kid that just so happens to play DDR.

And he Matrix Walked, then flipped off an inanimate object.

That stupid article that needs to be hacked wrote:
99 percent

NO AAA FOR YOU
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Misaki's Midnite Blaze
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that guy should be banned from all DDR Owned Arcades frust.gif

I mean what kind of idiot does something like that? Stealing Tokens, stealing prizes, stealing everything!!!! GEEZ!!!! I mean sure DDR is a popular and addicting game but man learn how to control yourself!!!!

I'll be willing to admit I have a problem with DDR being so into and making going crazy about it, but I learn how to control myself and never let things like this happen. I'm sure all of us have that same problem too but know how to not let it errupt themselves...I mean it is just a "GAME"

Seriously that article.... boom.gif

WTF? That article makes DDR look bad....I mean if your going to write an article about DDR...do us a favor as players.

DON'T MAKE US LOOK BAD!!!!!

I never want to be interviewed for "ANY" untrustable media type people. Unless I know they can be trusted, like TechTV for instance. I can definately trust them cause they're all for people like us.

I hope that guy gets sent to jail...and soon...otherwise he's going to make all of us look bad frust.gif

Osaka wants some love tooooooo
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
IguanaGrrl
Staff Member
Staff Member

19. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

∀ЯR0G∀NT B∀ST∀ЯD wrote:
omg, he's a goddamn college dropout goth kid that just so happens to play DDR.

Hey now, there's nothing wrong with being a college dropout goth kid that just so happens to play DDR.

We're not all bad. E10.gif
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: