Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

DDR makes the news!
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IguanaGrrl
Staff Member
Staff Member

0. PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: DDR makes the news! Reply with quote

Once again, DDR has made the news with this article on Yahoo news. The article focuses on the positive health benefits of DDR and includes a doctor's perspective on the game.

Thanks to JaKa and Remy for the link.
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article has also been in several printed newspapers. The Anderson, SC newspaper had it on the bottom of the front page this morning!
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
THE RidGE
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Every time... Reply with quote

Every time I see these stories, I think I should start playing for the excercise... but always fall short.

This time, I'm starting again and asking all of you ddrtists to join me.

I'm going to play every day at 12:00 noon east coast time. Join me and let me know you're doing it too. Together we can all be happier.

IM me on AOL @ The oRidGEinal
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
JMB.
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The home version, which costs about $40 for a game and $40 for a flat plastic dance pad

As opposed to a pointy sharp dance mat?!? laugh.gif
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

4. PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egon Spangler wrote:
The article has also been in several printed newspapers.

That particular feed on Yahoo News is Associated Press, which is a newswire that many different newspapers use and publish stories from. So I'd anticipate that this article (or portions of it) will appear in many newspapers over the next few days. That will be a lot of exposure for DDR E1.gif

On a completley different note, I'm always fascinated by some of the things that people actually write in the "Yahoo Talkbacks" on the usual Yahoo news articles, and this article is certianly no exception. peoples.gif
Staff Member
Staff Member

5. PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skie wrote:

On a completley different note, I'm always fascinated by some of the things that people actually write in the "Yahoo Talkbacks" on the usual Yahoo news articles, and this article is certianly no exception. peoples.gif

I'm waiting for someone to figure out a way to blame Bush. E10.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yahoo Talkbacks/Forums are truely the most disgusting cesspool of the internet.

Not only will they find someway to attack Bush, but also argue about the liberal-Jewish-Kenyan-Hindu-feminist that really created the game instead of the Japanese.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
skie
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

7. PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IguanaGrrl wrote:

I'm waiting for someone to figure out a way to blame Bush. E10.gif

Funny, I was waiting for "AL GORE SAYS HE INVENTED DDR"
Staff Member
Staff Member

8. PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courtesy WrathX: http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/fun.games/05/24/video.game.diet.ap/index.html

Appears this story made it further through Associated Press than I thought! E1.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good way to make a comeback to the boards E1.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldnt you also thank/mention Str0ngbad? he has a link in the "OMG I SAW DDR" forum posted at 3 am. Just a thought
Same
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those curious, that machine is the DDR Extreme at Magic Mountain East here in Columbus. We had the actual journalist come to MME to do the interview and what not.

Just a bit of FYI.
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lessee...

Offensive stereotype at least two decades out of date...overgeneralization about the music and difficulty...obligatory mega-lame crack at what people look like playing it...fixed prices with no corroborating data whatsoever (List price? Retail? New or used?)...no reference to "Bemani"...not a single mix, song, or difficulty named...

Yep, this is a DDR article, all right. E15.gif

Seriously, what I always wonder is why mainstream news outlets never focus on any of the other arcade exercise games out there. Namco has released an entire line of them, and I've never seen one get a mention. Heck, Drummania gives me a brisk workout more often than not, it's been released stateside, and I've never seen it covered. What is it about this one game?

(Don't even get me started on that other dance game, the one with the diagonal arrows. I've started too many flame wars already. E4.gif )
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Catastrophe
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Mainstream Reply with quote

DKW wrote:
Lessee...

Offensive stereotype at least two decades out of date...overgeneralization about the music and difficulty...obligatory mega-lame crack at what people look like playing it...fixed prices with no corroborating data whatsoever (List price? Retail? New or used?)...no reference to "Bemani"...not a single mix, song, or difficulty named...

Yep, this is a DDR article, all right. E15.gif

Well, if it wasn't distorted and misrepresented then it wouldn't be mainstream news, would it? E15.gif I just hope nobody thinks that you HAVE to be overweight to enjoy DDR or that it always costs $40 + $40 to play at home. "If you can't afford it, you shouldn't do it." My ass.

And what pad costs $40 anyways? Last I checked the only pads available in retail stores were either the cheap $20-25 ones or Ignitions, besides the bundles.

Drummania actually hasn't been released stateside. They made about 5 units of GF USA but no DM. PIU, DMX, and any other game that might make you sweat will never get as much attention as DDR unless it also has some popular home versions too.
View users profile Send private message
radicalfaith360
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This same article is being shown at CNN.com
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

15. PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MASTER OF DARKNESS wrote:
This same article is being shown at CNN.com
Really?
Six posts above yours, IguanaGrrl wrote:
Courtesy WrathX: http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/fun.games/05/24/video.game.diet.ap/index.html

Appears this story made it further through Associated Press than I thought! E1.gif
Wow. I guess you're right.

Slashdot is also carrying an AskSlashdot discussion tangentially to this AP article.

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
DJ XEROIC of AIM
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article is featured on the welcome screen on AOL. I was like...cool.

Intellectuals solve problems: geniuses prevent them." -- Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel laureate (1879-1955)

Burt, you're shouting again...
RedChucksNeedsMoreRanch
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, man, i had like 39!!!! IM boxes open yesterday and like...when i signed off the local news called, 2 stations, lol, i was all..i'm not here, i gotta go play my precious 7th mixes!!! ohh yeah i'm Matt Keene, lol THIS IS CRAZY!!! You know what would be cool though, if you guys like took a picture of the news paper article or something if it's different, i'ma make a scrap book cause i only get 15 minutes of this!

Proud Member of TSSF
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
J Dogg
Administrator
Administrator

18. PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whee, looks like it made slashdot! Too bad they didn't link DDR Freak in the article frown.gif
Staff Member
Staff Member

19. PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Dogg wrote:
Whee, looks like it made slashdot! Too bad they didn't link DDR Freak in the article frown.gif
Twice even. Once in AskSlash, and again today in the regular section. And DDRFreak is mentioned in the AP article (and several times in the comments).

But tell me, J Dogg...do you really *want* to be Slashdotted? E15.gif

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: