Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Taiko no Tatsujin for the US
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Dogg
Administrator
Administrator

0. PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Taiko no Tatsujin for the US Reply with quote

Namco is releasing Taiko no Tatsujin for the US, which will be called Taiko Drum Master. The interface and game play seems to be the same as the Japanese version, and includes songs such as Beethoven's 5th Symphony, and the Soul Calibur II main theme.
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. We need more music games that aren't just dance-related.

Right, Konami?
PenguinMan
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, I did not see this coming. Now I have two drum-type rhythm games to get. E1.gif
"You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy." - Psalm 30:11

XBL GamerTag: PenguinMan26
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Spike
Administrator
Administrator

3. PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this be in the arcade or for home with some fancy controller?
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

4. PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Taiko no Tatsujin for the US Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it's a PS2 game.

J Dogg wrote:
includes songs such as Beethoven's 5th Symphony, and the Soul Calibur II main theme.

:O~
View users profile Send private message Send email
Noobus Kahn
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of this game before, is it like Drummania?
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
enossel
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noobus Kahn wrote:
I've never heard of this game before, is it like Drummania?

No, and yes. It is the same as drum mania as in it uses drums, but this one uses two big drums instead of an actual drum set.
View users profile Send private message
[TeamSubClub]SuperFred 2k
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only played TnT on PS2 so I don't know for sure but the PS2 controller is just a round drum with two sensors on the front (left and right, no visible line just split in two halves), and two sensors on the upper corners.

Arcade is totally different, it's got two huge drums and looks effing awesome. Tell me J Dogg, did they cut ot the uber-cute voices they used in the japanese ps2 version to replace them with american voices? And is there still the two characters I loved so much?
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
sherl0k
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

8. PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What 2 characters are you talking about? Because there were some characters in the demo, I just didn't know what to refer to them as.

The game plays just like its Japanese CS counterpart, by the way.

[quote:ed1f6848c5=\\\"jaeness\\\"]get your change from obama, he apparently has tons of it.[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Rabby250
Basic Member
Basic Member

9. PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dong and Katsu - the drum bros., I suppose?

For those who never heard of the game:
Introducing the in-game screen!

Top-left: Life Bar. Starts with zero.
Mid-left: Beat Zone = Step Zone.
Bottom-left: Notes.
Top-right: Norma (Normal) Indicator. A course will be cleared if the player's life level is above the indicator, or failed otherwise.
Norma Indicator's position may vary according to the difficulty chosen.
Mid-right: Score.
Bottom-right: Song Name and Course. Will be shown alternatively.

About the notes:
Red: A hit on the middle of the drum required.
Blue: A hit on the side of the drum required.
Yellow: Continuous hit on either the middle or the side.
No life will be taken for missing yellow notes, but how many times hit will affect score.
Giant Red/Blue/Yellow: Same as their mini (?) cousins, but requires more powerful hits.
Balloon: Indicates a number , and requires that much hits on the middle before the next note comes up.

Especially when they put wax on arcade panels.

Last edited by Rabby250 on Fri May 14, 2004 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total
Larrikin
Contributor
Contributor

10. PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got mixed feelings about this. Its cool that a new music game is coming to America, but in the short time I played it in the arcades I was already up to some of the hardest songs so its really easy and im not sure if i wanna spend money for it at home.

EDIT: Also I find it odd theres no mention of Donkey Konga. It has Sing Sing Sing, which is easily one of the best drum songs you could have,
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larrikin wrote:
Ive got mixed feelings about this. Its cool that a new music game is coming to America, but in the short time I played it in the arcades I was already up to some of the hardest songs so its really easy and im not sure if i wanna spend money for it at home.

EDIT: Also I find it odd theres no mention of Donkey Konga. It has Sing Sing Sing, which is easily one of the best drum songs you could have,

but buying it anyway might increas the chance of konami noticieng that we americans buy music games (not to mention that if it has a sweet enough price point)
Basic Member
Basic Member

12. PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larrikin wrote:

I am not sure whether to agree or not......

A month or two after I start playing, I can play almost any song in hard course (except KAGEKIYO...... tell me that's not a 7), so I advanced to oni course and got stuck till now.

Maybe it's an easy start for DDRers (the only challenge is that colors no longer indicate beats), but to master, practices are still required. That's my point.

Especially when they put wax on arcade panels.
KitsuDeXstrosity
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to the DDR Freak boards.

Anyway, I was following TnT for a long time (albeit I never really played it before, always wanted to) and I'm really excited about the US release. One thing kind of bugs me though, this game is heavily based on Japanese culture and tradition. For sure I'm going to enjoy it, but I'm not completely sure about the popularity in the US. Hopefully it does well and we get as many sequels as the Japanese counterpart.

-~-Evolved Spirit KitsuDeXstrosity
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Junior Asparagus
Administrator
Administrator

14. PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from the songlist, everything (the graphics, etc.) is EXACTLY like the Japanese versions. It has the little drum dudes and everything. It was really loud though, so I couldn't tell if the cute sounds were the same. I would assume so.
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

15. PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the E3 demo might have been a very early build of the game, as there was still a lot of japanese text in the actual in-game mode. In fact, it felt no different at all to me than the TnT games I've played on import PS2, with the exception of the song select screen, which was totally different than any TnT game I've played... you switched to seperate screens to scroll through the list... there wasn't one screen with 5 boxes that scrolled or anything like that. Most likely because there were only a few songs in the demo.

Ya know, I could see a possibility that a lot of the game could stay in it's original form to add to the "culture" of the game as referenced in an earliler post.

I'm just glad Namco is willing to take a chance on it E1.gif
Contributor
Contributor

16. PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skie wrote:
I've played... you switched to seperate screens to scroll through the list... there wasn't one screen with 5 boxes that scrolled or anything like that. Most likely because there were only a few songs in the demo.

That sounds similar to the first arcade one I played, I think. It was a while ago but I think thats how the TnT I played was setup. It also only had a few songs and one was by the Village People.
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

17. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm really excited on the the TNT coming to america. i have the 2nd taiko for ps2 and i love it. will the same drum be used to play? will it be different? hurry hurry more news!
Administrator
Administrator

18. PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSP wrote:
i'm really excited on the the TNT coming to america. i have the 2nd taiko for ps2 and i love it. will the same drum be used to play? will it be different? hurry hurry more news!

It's the same drum.
Basic Member
Basic Member

19. PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the ps2 drum anywhere near as good as the arcade machine's drum? I can't find any in arcades and i've been addicted since I visited japan! Must have Tnt fix.....
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: