Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

24 Hour DDR Marathon for Charity

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Dogg
Administrator
Administrator

0. PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: 24 Hour DDR Marathon for Charity Reply with quote

The Dance Dance Revolution Student Organization (DDRSO) at Ferris State University In Big Rapids, MI, will be holding their second annual 24-Hour DDR Marathon for Charity today. All proceeds go to benefit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Their charity event last year benefitted the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

They will be dancing outside in the Campus Quad for 24 hours straight, starting today at noon (Friday, April 16th) and ending tomorrow (Saturday, April 17th) at noon. Donations of any size will be accepted. Please help the DDR club show that Dance Dance Revolution can make a positive difference in the community.

If you'd like to make a donation to this cause, please send a paypal to ddrso@fsuimail.ferris.edu. For more information, email ddrso@fsuimail.ferris.edu or mattkuspa@hotmail.com.
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a cool idea! I wish I had a paypal.. frown.gif
Basic Member
Basic Member

2. PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Maesce wrote:
Wow, what a cool idea! I wish I had a paypal.. frown.gif

Thanks for the thought, anyway!

To everyone else: we'll be accepting donations for the next week or two, because we got a late start on collecting them. Pics afterward, if we can get a hold of a digital camera. E1.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
eryk
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people are in this organization? Sounds like fun!
View users profile Send private message
kmfdm
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting next fall I'm starting a DDR club at my college (Stony Brook University) and that sounds like a GREAT IDEA! How are you guys doing it? PS2 and Ignitions? Or did you raise enough cash to get a machine?
rouge_the_bat
Basic Member
Basic Member

5. PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: if it wasn't for cheezy poofs we would all be lame! Reply with quote

this has to be the LAMEST thing i ever heard of. what ever happened to just playing a round with your buddies, drinking some coke, eating a burrito or two(or 18 in david's case) then falling asleep on the couch. now everything has to be good for the community.

why is this a bad idea? because whenever you try to help anybody you get shnit shovled in your face. plus there's always some kind of a deadline hanging over your head, and if you can't make it you're a slacker. it's just a bad idea... at least where i live.

jeez, what next, christian Ska bennifit dinners? an american ddr that can hold a candle to it's japanese brethren? this is just a dumb idea to me. you can like it, but i think it's dumb. meaning... if you flame me, then you're against freedom of speech, also meaning... you are a nazi.
Ian2K3
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: if it wasn't for cheezy poofs we would all be lame! Reply with quote

rouge_the_bat wrote:
this has to be the LAMEST thing i ever heard of. if you flame me, then you're against freedom of speech, also meaning... you are a nazi.

At least some people will try to benefit for a good cause and not for themselves

nono.gif on the nazi name calling
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to hear things like this, especially in a society which unfairly portrays video games, as well as those who play them, in a negative light.

Video games are all too often judged as anti-social and desensitizing, and are often used as scapegoats for unfortunate events. Society also tends to lump *all* gamers into the same group, with the same misconceptions.

This DDR-athon for charity will help break down these prejudices and more. Kudos to the DDRSO for that!

~Avatar Z
ddrso
Basic Member
Basic Member

8. PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: if it wasn't for cheezy poofs we would all be lame! Reply with quote

kmfdm wrote:
Starting next fall I'm starting a DDR club at my college (Stony Brook University) and that sounds like a GREAT IDEA! How are you guys doing it? PS2 and Ignitions? Or did you raise enough cash to get a machine?

We're all pretty crazy about DDR, so we've got a plethora of PS2s available, as well as one member who has a Japanese PS2 (Extreme! w00t!) Last time I counted, we've got 5 cobalt fluxes available between all of our members. It got pretty big, considering this is only our second year.

We meet once a week, and just hang out and play DDR. For the most part, it's pretty unorganized, except for the campus events we've been invited to (and, of course, the DDR marathon).

rouge_the_bat wrote:
this has to be the LAMEST thing i ever heard of.

If you don't want to be flamed, why post flame-bait? E19.gif

By the way, the only reason I'm posting this right now is because we got rained out after 18 hours and had to retreat to the lobby in my hall to finish. frown.gif It's all good, though.
J Dogg
Administrator
Administrator

9. PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell us how much money ras raised?
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: if it wasn't for cheezy poofs we would all be lame! Reply with quote

rouge_the_bat wrote:
this has to be the LAMEST thing i ever heard of. what ever happened to just playing a round with your buddies, drinking some coke, eating a burrito or two(or 18 in david's case) then falling asleep on the couch. now everything has to be good for the community.

why is this a bad idea? because whenever you try to help anybody you get shnit shovled in your face. plus there's always some kind of a deadline hanging over your head, and if you can't make it you're a slacker. it's just a bad idea... at least where i live.

jeez, what next, christian Ska bennifit dinners? an american ddr that can hold a candle to it's japanese brethren? this is just a dumb idea to me. you can like it, but i think it's dumb. meaning... if you flame me, then you're against freedom of speech, also meaning... you are a nazi.

Might I point out that flaming can be put under the "free speech" concept. So you're contradicting yourself on that one. Free speech doesn't literally mean you can say whatever the hell you want. You can talk as long as you aren't slandering, endgarering national security, or infringing on someone else's rights.

The whole "Free Speech, man" idea is taken way out of proportion.

Anyways, I think it's a great idea. A donation is a donation. There is nothing wrong with trying to run an event to help a noble cause. If you're gonna play DDR and you can help contribute to a cause like this, then you get two birds with one stone and everyone is a winner.
DBack
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of your opinion about a 24-hour danceathon for charity, look at what this event has done already. It's raised awareness about a terrible disease, or at least a foundation that aims to end this disease, on one of the most popular DDR sites on the web.

"if you flame me, then you're against freedom of speech,"
oh
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, donate lots E1.gif. My bro has CF. It sucks.
V~forVampy~
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this has to be the best thing I have ever heard of!

I'm am definately going to donate, once my paypal account starts working again. I hope there's going to be one next year? E1.gif Too bad I missed it this year.

As for the other dude: Ok, you don't share all our thoughts and opinions, but it's your choice. I think its an excellent idea. frown.gif
Basic Member
Basic Member

14. PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Co-Creater of the DDRSO Reply with quote

Hello,

I co-created the DDRSO last year at FSU before i graduated. It was originally my idea to do the 24 hour charity event for Leukemia. The original idea was to do two things, raise more awareness of DDR to the people at a college where it isn't popular, and to give 100% of proceeds to a very good cause. The whole point of the club was getting together to play as a group and get more people to know about the game FOR FUN.

I just want to make a point that the idea behind doing a charity event was completely our own, any deadlines were added and completed by our own choice. We asked for any help as simple as dancing a set for free as a donation. As far as getting something shoved back in my face when helping someone? Asking people for donations for a cause as large as either Leukemia or CF should not be looked at as a chore. I originally chose Leukemia because I watched my mom suffer from this disease only to pass away after fighting it for nearly 3 years straight. If doing something I enjoy and giving money to support something besides myself makes me lame, well yea you get the idea.

As for anyone else who is interested in starting their own college organization, it's a great idea. Feel free to copy the idea of the 24 hour dance for charity.

It was also asked how much we raised. Last year we raised over $500 for Leukemia and this year we raised over $450 for CF.

I want to also mention I really appreciate all the positive comments I've read. Eventhough I graduated after last year, from what I hear as long as the club is still in tact next year (and I beleive it will be) I beleive the event shall continue as an annual event (as long as there are people to help dance for 24 hours). I drove up from Kalamazoo to help out this year at 1 A.M.

Thanks again and remember, no donation is too small biggrin.gif

-Mike-
Spike
Administrator
Administrator

15. PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: if it wasn't for cheezy poofs we would all be lame! Reply with quote

rouge_the_bat wrote:

People wanted to do some GOOD? Is it really bad that people wanted to do a good deed? GOD FORBID.

Quote:

Most things in life have a "downside." In other words, THIS WORLD IS NOT PERFECT. Such is life. It really isn't that hard to meet a deadline. I also like how you say it's a terrible idea, then admit that it's bad in your area, but still think it'll be the same everywhere else.

Quote:
jeez, what next, christian Ska bennifit dinners? an american ddr that can hold a candle to it's japanese brethren?

Is there a problem with that? God forbid people raise money for a good cause sarc.gif

Quote:
if you flame me, then you're against freedom of speech, also meaning... you are a nazi.

Wow, now THAT'S ignorant. First, you don't have freedom of speech on this privately owned website. You should read the FAQ. Second, you making this comment shows that you're AGAINST freedom of speech, because you're trying to tell people not to speak their mind. Oh, and the final nazi comment is so incredibly ridiculous it does this.

I think it's a great idea that they're raising money, and your entire post was pointless.
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Spike.

*shrugs*
Some people are so cynical that they simply can't make sense of a situation where someone does good deeds without selfish motives.

~Avatar Z
malictus
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm extremely excited that you guys did a fundraiser. Here in Indiana, we just completed our third annual DDR-A-Thon, with all the money going to Riley Hospital to Children. DDR and charity = a great combination! I hope everything went well!
ddrso
Basic Member
Basic Member

18. PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Cool Reply with quote

Glad to see we're not the only ones who thought of the idea of DDR for charity, malictus. Seems like your doing better than we are in terms of organization. Oh well, next year we hope to get a better website up and and have a little more publicity. E1.gif
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: