Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

RedOctane opens GETUPMOVE.COM
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VxJasonxV
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: RedOctane opens GETUPMOVE.COM Reply with quote

RedOctane has just launched GETUPMOVE.COM as part of a new promotional campaign, "Get Up and Move!", aimed at introducing DDR to the public as an exercise tool. The retailer has commissioned Tanya Jessen of Seattle to help promote the site, aiming for a similar ad campaign to Subway's ads featuring Jared Fogle.

"I was unhappy because I was overweight. But DDR changed that for me because it is such an active game thatÂ’s really fun and easy to play for hours on end," says Jessen. GETUPMOVE.COM details Jessen's story about how she lost 95 pounds using primarily DDR, and also features information to help new people get started with dancing their way to fitness and a happy life.

(News and article provided by Cutriss)

Amusing Pictures: lolddrfreak | Road of LoQ
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Xbox Live Gamertag
Agilab
Contributor
Contributor

1. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....now we're going to have commercials promoting DDR on TV? This should be interesting....
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what I really think about that, but I do agree that it will be interesting to see DDR being marketed to the public as more of an exercise tool then a video game.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
YmkFX
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was created after seeing how MTV took the idea of DDR in their top 15 games list wasn't it. MTV seemed to primarily focus on the weight loss aspect (Treating it almost like a documentary), I guess RedOctane saw that as a good implementation.

As long as they pull it off right.
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainstream DDR, I dunno if I'd like it. I sorta like it being semi-underground in its current state. But if there really would be TV commercials, I'd make sure to get myself a veiwing. Should be fun.
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

5. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YmkFX wrote:
This was created after seeing how MTV took the idea of DDR in their top 15 games list wasn't it. MTV seemed to primarily focus on the weight loss aspect (Treating it almost like a documentary), I guess RedOctane saw that as a good implementation.

As long as they pull it off right.
From the information on the GU&M website and from comments left on the two recent Slashdot articles mentioning DDR, it looks like the MTV spot did quite a bit to boost DDR's popularity. I've actually heard a couple of people talking about DDR, saying that they'd heard about it on MTV, indicating that they never knew about it before.

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Sinistar
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is pretty cool, but Red Octane's execution of it really stinks. The whole site reads like one huge infomercial. I half expected quotes from Ron Popeil.

So, yay for DDR getting known for exercise (I know people fear it becoming mainstream, but if it gets big, that means lots more mixes stateside) and a big boo for Red Octane managing to make their product sound more crucial than DDR itself.

CF cbox mods and more at the 'Pad'
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Sinistar
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutriss wrote:
I've actually heard a couple of people talking about DDR, saying that they'd heard about it on MTV, indicating that they never knew about it before.

I have some family members who now want to try out my setup since seeing it on Mtv. Before the Mtv thing, it was just that weird dancing thing I do in the basement. But now it's exercise, so now they're interested.

If it means more people willing to jump on a pad and go a few rounds, I'm all for it.

CF cbox mods and more at the 'Pad'
Illusion Bomb
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully DDR won't become the next fad for everyone to obsess over for the next few months. Though, since I already play, I could be a God among Insects! laugh.gif

Just Kidding! E13.gif thumb.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be willing to bet it would get more support from the Bemani community if it weren't named after such a crap song. E13.gif
DoesNMatter
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I guess this is good.........

Playing DDR at Frys was sorta like I was demonstrating how fun it is.......

Now commercials, hm......

Hey didnt they have one commercial with a DDR freestyler?????

Dont remember what that was about........

Well Ive seen people at Frys buying it and ask me what pad to buy or how do you play........

Hm..... i wonder if there will be anyone good at frys from now on.........

Blow My Whistle You Little B!tch From My Healing Vision About My Midnite Blaze Named Candy!
View users profile Send private message Send email
Catastrophe
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: getupmove.com Reply with quote

I was impressed by the testimonials on this site! And the rest of the site has more information and a good layout too. thumb.gif

Illusion of Team Infinity wrote:
Hopefully DDR won't become the next fad for everyone to obsess over for the next few months. Though, since I already play, I could be a God among Insects! laugh.gif

Just Kidding! E13.gif thumb.gif

I'm not worried about fad status. DDR had an underground phase before KDEA released DDR USA and during that underground phase the game acquired alot of diehard fans. When MAX1 was released DDR appeared briefly on CBS and was gaining more popularity by word of mouth and through random appearances, like the Sketchers (shoe) commercial. Its been almost another year and half now and this recent publicity spike is just like the the others. Though I'm always ecstatic when it happens! biggrin.gif (Doesn't that make you want to look at other games that are still in their underground phase?)

Sinistar - I assume thats because RO seems to be sponsoring this site.
View users profile Send private message
DJTyrant
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

12. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Healing Vision wrote:
Hey didnt they have one commercial with a DDR freestyler?????

Sketchers commercial with Just Jaye.
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.getupmove.com/media.html

Just want to note that on that section of the site the links to MTV and one other site are incorrect (At least for me). They try to simply add the new URL to the existing URL.
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should make another site where people can post AAAs using Ignition 2.0 pads.
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about enoon? didn't he lose alot more than 95?

whatever happened to him?
Mysterio
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that they are trying to get the word out, but they way they are doing it is vomit inducing.

"Lose weight today using our Igniton 2.0 Dance Pad (tm)" Ugh.

Also,

Sinistar wrote:
it was just that weird dancing thing I do in the basement.

The way you said that is funny.

...but Rhythm and Police is no longer crazy!
IguanaGrrl
Staff Member
Staff Member

17. PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Snag) Jin to fa wrote:
what about enoon? didn't he lose alot more than 95?

whatever happened to him?

He's still around, though work and school are taking up a good majority of his time. He is still much lighter than he was when he first played DDR. E1.gif

I think that this is a great idea. As I said in faerielink's journal in response to a troll, the more advertising done for DDR, the more people that will play. The more people that will play, the more copies of DDR that will be sold. The more copies of DDR sold, the more friendly Konami of USA will be to making us plenty of new DDR mixes.

DDR may be dying slowly in Japan, but it's still just getting a good start here in the states. With the obesity rates growing and growing, kids and parents alike are looking for good alternatives for exercise. While it is extremely high impact, DDR is excellent cardiovascular exercise.

thumb.gif Good show, RedOctane!
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDR is still quite an underground thing here in the states, and to me, despite all of the hype it's getting as a weight loss tool, it all seems so one-sided. i can say good things about DDR being a weight-loss tool, seeing as how i've used it to keep my 6'2", 175 pound build, and that my legs have never felt this good, but in my opinion, i think there should be more focus on other aspects of DDR, ya know. sure it's good to stay in shape, but what about the overall fun-ness of the game? what about the competition aspect? it's all a big part of the game, probably moreso than working out.

but i guess it's good that DDR is getting more publicity. more people'll start playing, and while that means longer lines at the arcade disgust.gif , more people'll be able to appreciate DDR for what it is, rather than just look at it and go "what the hell?".

Illusion of Team Infinity wrote:
Hopefully DDR won't become the next fad for everyone to obsess over for the next few months. Though, since I already play, I could be a God among Insects!

chances are it probably will. i get the feeling DDREX will do even better than MAX and MAX2 did. and well, for us already in on the DDR Underground, we'll just hafta show them newbies how it's done. riiight.gif

but if one of 'em passes Paranoia Survivor MAX Oni before i do, then there's definitely something wrong disgust.gif
"No man, that's BS. Come on. If you broke my copy of Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike and you told me 'Don't worry, man. It's just a game. Play Mortal Kombat instead', I'd be like 'hell no, man. Give me 3rd Strike!'"
"...... you just reached me in a way I never thought possible."

http://www.atlantabemani.org/
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Syxx
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She might have lost 95 lbs... but I lost a lot of money playing DDR. :'(
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: