Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Karaoke Revolution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theguru1974
Trick Member
Trick Member

40. PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. Do the vocals play as you sing at the same time? I would think the songs would play without vocals so you can karaoke without distraction.

Eric
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
zaphod
Trick Member
Trick Member

41. PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I've played the game a bit and I have some details.

The game does sing the lyrics over you as you sing. Yes, this is distracting, but it helps you pick up the song too. that's why the game does it. And, as we will see below, in fact the game MUST do this.

2) i hummed a scale, and discovered that if the notes they want are outside of your vocal range, you must drop or rise by TWO octaves, not one. (my scale went from bottom to middle) If you try being off one octave, you may find you are nowhere near the mark. This should not be a problem if you can carry a tune, but see my next point.

3) most of the songs are covers. If you try and match the radio version (which may or may not have been pitched up by the station) you may find you are slightly above or below the right pitch the entire song! To score in the game, you have to match the pitch of *their* versions, not the version you may know. US liscencing laws are to blame for this. Be thankfull you are able to buy the game at its current price.

4) That said, the covers aren't bad, but are simply for the most part different enough from the real song that if you try to sing along to what you hear in your head, you will get MURDERED by the game's grader at the higher difficulties, even if you can sing and know the song. I didn't figure this out at the time, because the covers are close enough to be confused with the real song in many cases.

On the positive side.

1) there is a good variety.
2) The game does recognize a wide variety of octaves, so most people can find an octave they can sing at for any song that will work. Even if it feels weird singing girls just wanna have fun as a guy, it can be done without going outside of the typical male vocal range. E1.gif
3) There are a fair number of songs there.
4) the presentation and gam eengine are very solid.

This *is* a good game, and if you can carry a tune (or wish to learn to!) you should pick it up. Just keep in mind my octave warning, and the fact that you need to sing to their version, and you'll have fun. E1.gif
theguru1974
Trick Member
Trick Member

42. PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm musically stupid. Can anyone explain or point me to a beginner's guide to octaves, reading music, etc? I can do alright on Medium difficulty on the 1 or 2 microphone songs but level 3's like Billie Jean murder me, the range is all over the place. Celebration also is incredbly tough when your voice cracks at high notes.

Eric
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
zaphod
Trick Member
Trick Member

43. PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. here we go.

You know a basic scale right?

do <--start of the scale
re
mi
fa
so
la
ti
do <--end an octave higher.

Now you have to do "girls just wanna have fun", but you can't sing that high. You can get by by singing much deeper, as long as you sing the same notes. Just keep dropping your voice until the arrow gets to where it needs to be. But if yo uthink you're singing it right, and the arrwo is nowhere near it, you need to drop your voice lower.
Krye
Basic Member
Basic Member

44. PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theguru1974 wrote:
I don't get it. Do the vocals play as you sing at the same time? I would think the songs would play without vocals so you can karaoke without distraction.

Eric

While you're playing you can also change the volume of the singer, music, and yourself. So you can mute the singer and just listen to yourself sing.

But as mentioned, yes, the songs are a *little* different than the radio versions. So you do have to adjust for that. Once you realize it though, you'll have a blast.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: