Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

PS2 Online Play+DDR Freak mentioned in EGM!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rampage
Administrator
Administrator

0. PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: PS2 Online Play+DDR Freak mentioned in EGM! Reply with quote

As featured in the Feburary 2004 issue of EGM in its "Ultimate Video Game Countdown" article, re-printed here for your convenience.

A very special thanks to Nekura for letting us know about the article and for providing a scan of it, available here.

Here's the article text:

Dance Dance Revolution (Series)
PS2, XB, Arcade * Konami --
Oprah doing the macarena? Swing craze? Riverdance? Nope, it took a videogame to turn a legion of career wallflowers into hip-shakin', dancin' idiots--er experts. The DDR phenomenon may have started in arcades, but its combination of no-look dance routines and profuse sweating has since migrated to your living room, and even into some school PE classes. It's the new Jazzercise.
Ultimate moment: Seeing a West Side Story-style DDR ``gang,'' complete with matching satin jackets, file into the arcade and commence to steppin'. (Hit ddrfreak.com for your DDR voyeurism needs.) Those about to dance, we salute you.

What's next?
New PlayStation 2 and Xbox Dance Dance Revolution installments are scheduled for the future, in addition to downloadable song packs for Ultramix (XB). And if fans cotton to Ultramix's online play, the feature may even turn up on a DDR for PS2.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the PS2 does gain online capactities for the DDR series. That would rock. That would actually get me a reason to go and buy a Ps2 adapter thing-a-ma-bobber.

Hopefully. It will happen!

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
eryk
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS2 Online? Ha! I'd like to see that. But seriously, they couldn't haeve DLC because of those tiny 8mb memory cards and such.
View users profile Send private message
eryk
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS2 Online? Ha! I'd like to see that. But seriously, they couldn't haeve DLC because of those tiny 8mb memory cards and such.
Shen
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaKa wrote:
If the PS2 does gain online capactities for the DDR series. That would actually get me a reason to go and buy a Ps2 adapter thing-a-ma-bobber.

Ditto.

What's DLC?
rampage
Administrator
Administrator

5. PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shen wrote:
BaKa wrote:
If the PS2 does gain online capactities for the DDR series. That would actually get me a reason to go and buy a Ps2 adapter thing-a-ma-bobber.

Ditto.

What's DLC?

Downloadable content
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
nekura
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloadable content would very much be possible with the soon-to-be-released (well, in March) PS2 hard drive. Other games (such as Socom II, I believe) are also planning to offer downloadable content when the hard drive arrives as well.
Basic Member
Basic Member

7. PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PS2 hard drive was supposed to come out a while back, and it was said that FFXI could not be played without it. Sony's very behind on their projects. They put a lot of time into the PSX and that didn't turn out half as well as expected.... Microsoft knew what they were doing when they built a hard drive into the Xbox, and while Sony is still struggling to get that implemented before the PS2 is old news, it's safe to assume the PS3 will incorporate a hard drive... if it doesn't, well... it won't be worth picking up. Until the day that the PS2 HD comes out, there will be no DLC and i'll be content to spend more time DDRing with my Xbox and PC than my PS2. E4.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nekura wrote:
Downloadable content would very much be possible with the soon-to-be-released (well, in March) PS2 hard drive. Other games (such as Socom II, I believe) are also planning to offer downloadable content when the hard drive arrives as well.

It seems like DLC is the way to go. With the hard drive coming out soon and broadband connections becoming more of a norm, it's something that seems likely to happen more and more. E1.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would need to make some sort of a patch to download on the hard drive to be able to play MAX, MAX2 and soon hopefully Extreme ONLINE. If this is going where I think it is going, Extreme for PS2 will BE online to begin with, and that would be like a billion times better than Ultramix. In fact if PS2 ever has a DDR Online I will record myself cracking the Ultramix CD in half and put it all over the internet laugh.gif
Basic Member
Basic Member

10. PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL obviously you're not a fan of Xbox--but I have no hope for a good English DDR for PS2... online or not... if you compare songlists from 6th mix to MAX, 7th mix to MAX2, and in the near future 8th mix to EXTREME... it's just no contest... the US releases are terrible bastardizations of their japanese counterparts and PS2, Xbox, whatever... will have to try a whooole lot harder to make them worth paying for, DLC or not. Like I was playing Ultramix at my church lock-in last night, and while it does have a few decent songs, and the first DLC pack has like 2 good ones... why can't it be like the Japanese release of 6th mix with only a few that are not good or Japanese 8th mix with more than 60 songs? When I can afford it I'm modding my PS2 -_-
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

11. PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seifex wrote:
LoL obviously you're not a fan of Xbox--but I have no hope for a good English DDR for PS2... online or not... if you compare songlists from 6th mix to MAX, 7th mix to MAX2, and in the near future 8th mix to EXTREME... it's just no contest... the US releases are terrible bastardizations of their japanese counterparts and PS2, Xbox, whatever... will have to try a whooole lot harder to make them worth paying for, DLC or not. Like I was playing Ultramix at my church lock-in last night, and while it does have a few decent songs, and the first DLC pack has like 2 good ones... why can't it be like the Japanese release of 6th mix with only a few that are not good or Japanese 8th mix with more than 60 songs? When I can afford it I'm modding my PS2 -_-

DDR American releases are meant for American audiences.
Those games are designed for American games.
And why is the general public content with it? Because they do not know about the japanese games.

Remember, DDR is not just for us. It's a game, for any who wish to try it to enjoy.

They are not bastardizations because they're not meant to be the same game. That's why there has NEVER been 'mix' in any title's (besides Konami and Disney's Mix, but you know, MAX2USA isn't 7th mix, etc.).

American DDR games are an independant line of games. Basically like the Dancing Stage series.

If you compare the games, of course American versions will not be as good as the Japanese versions. That's because we expect to have everything Japan players do. However, license issues, preferences, etc. keep that from happening.

Amusing Pictures: lolddrfreak | Road of LoQ
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Xbox Live Gamertag
Seifex
Basic Member
Basic Member

12. PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad part is you're exactly right... but it's not fair. Life's not fair. BUT DAMMT I WANT BETTER MIXES!! Oh well disgust.gif
Basic Member
Basic Member

13. PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I thought that MAX and MAX 2 on the PS2 rock!!! They both have great songs, and both have over 65 songs!!! Why are you all so Pessimistic? I have played every mix both american and Japanese, and MAX and MAX 2 are some of my fav's.
Administrator
Administrator

14. PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seifex wrote:
The sad part is you're exactly right... but it's not fair. Life's not fair. BUT DAMMT I WANT BETTER MIXES!! Oh well disgust.gif

...buy the Japanese games then?
Basic Member
Basic Member

15. PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Boss Mastuh Spike Suh, some of us can't afford to risk modding our PS2's or buying a premod.
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what they made Stepmania for.
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seifex wrote:
Mr. Boss Mastuh Spike Suh, some of us can't afford to risk modding our PS2's or buying a premod.

http://www.ps2cover.com/

That's what I use, and it's cheap. It does void your warranty, though.
Seifex
Basic Member
Basic Member

18. PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have SM, and a PS Joy Adapter but because I just recently turned 16, I don't have a ton of money at my disposal and the computer I want to build still needs about 400 dollars to be completed, and until then the only computer near my DDR pad is running USB1.1 and so the PS Joy converter doesn't get all the juice it needs and will randomly cause me to miss steps when I play. So I play PS2. But like I said, I don't like the American mixes, and I don't want to risk ruining my PS2 like my friend did trying to solder in a chip, and I don't have the money to buy a premod.
Basic Member
Basic Member

19. PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at that PS2 cover thing... I have a question about it, though it intrigues me... um... how the hell does it work? If it lets me play imports without frying my PS2 then I would love to have it but I'm having trouble putting 2 and 2 together on this, even after looking over the site.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: