Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

New RedOctane Pad Tryout in Northern California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mastapopo
Trick Member
Trick Member

60. PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i gather, the red octane pads seem to be able to compete with the highly fabled and praised CF pads. The only thing is, the durability hasnt really been tested, we'll truely see how good it is once its been around the block a few times, with some PA stompers. If it seems to last, i'll def buy 2 of them especially since theyre $100 less apiece.
Makou
Trick Member
Trick Member

61. PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only one thing left that's keeping this from being a must-buy item for me: What's the weight limit?

I weigh around 300 pounds, admittedly, probably a bit less than that. Reportedly, the Cobalt Flux pad could handle my weight and not break. Can RedOctane give me the same durability with their pad? This thing looks really nice, and these early reports show they are comparable to the CF. The weight limit is my only issue. E2.gif
Shinmizu
Staff Member
Staff Member

62. PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frosty wrote:
Durablity: 8/10
It started missing after awhile, it didn't miss much and didn't occur that often. So yay.

If I had a pad that started missing the first day I played on it, I'd hardly give it an 8.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Ike Pie
Trick Member
Trick Member

63. PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinmizu wrote:
Frosty wrote:
Durablity: 8/10
It started missing after awhile, it didn't miss much and didn't occur that often. So yay.

If I had a pad that started missing the first day I played on it, I'd hardly give it an 8.

Oh yeah, one thing to mention is that according to the peoples at redoctane was they were playing with the pad(as in dismantling it and screwing around with it) before us testers came and played on it. So it probably had something to do with the results.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
blue-kun
Administrator
Administrator

64. PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the random misses: Check out WrathX's explanation about what had happened to the pad.

Eugene
Schmuck
Trick Member
Trick Member

65. PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue^ wrote:
About the random misses: Check out WrathX's explanation about what had happened to the pad.

How does that explain the misses?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
blue-kun
Administrator
Administrator

66. PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schmuck wrote:
blue^ wrote:

How does that explain the misses?

Basically, the 9-pin D-sub male connector that is used to attach the pad cable to the control box (with Start/Select buttons) got smashed, so they had to transplant another connector (9-pin D-sub male) from their old prototype pad in a hurry, and that replacement connector was not in a good shape to begin with; the screws that attach the connector to the control box were missing, so the connector couldn't be firmly tightened into place. alanj happened to play before the problem was fixed (by taping the connector to the control box) and during his play the connector came loose several times. Hence random misses.

About Frosty's case, however, that's a different story. The pad started moving around a while after he got onto the stage, and he happened to play Heavy songs too, so he got out of center during his play and missed some of the arrows (for example, instead of hitting left/right arrows he hit the edge of blank panels below them).

Yeah, the pad does move quite a bit, and that's one thing that certainly needs improvement. (That should answer one question posted above; yes, the chair mat mod would indeed be a good idea.)

Eugene
300 Pound Man
Basic Member
Basic Member

67. PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Makou. I weight around 330 pounds, and have had a red octane ignition 2.0 pad for about 6 months and it is wonderful. There is abosolutely nothing wrong with it and it hardly moves at all. It is a must buy for any DDR fan that is overweight. The inch of padding really helps on the knees too. Hope I could help. also sent you a pm, don't know if you got it though.
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
LEM
Basic Member
Basic Member

68. PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im about 200 pounds last time i checked but our scale is poopy after i cropped it once or twice riiight.gif but neways I got BNS a while back not even 6 months and it got poopy like a month back the back arrow and left arrow stuck and i was failing songs like Rythem and Police in heavy disgust.gif. I've been reading what youve guys had said i was gonna get a RO metal one but i think im gonna get a CF now. SO i guess what im saying is dont get a BNS cause they SUCK. i still need like 80 bucks any donations can be sent to the lem fondation for good causes E4.gif
Nicotine
Trick Member
Trick Member

69. PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my one question is, why are all these n00b members getting chosen, rather then them picking people like 8ball, etc...people who KNOW about pads.

me on the other had....

I had an ignition 2.0..for a softpad, it rocked my world..... so when RO came out with their metal pads..i thought, poopy... might as well! it's gonna be a quality product....it's gotta be better then the cyphergames garbage my friend bought..

well, it arrived, and in 30 days, all the arrows had HUGE cracks in them (i am not a stomper..VERY light on my feet), it was un responsive, stuck arrows, would randomly STOP working during songs for no reason, and just felt flimsy.

at that rate, I wish I had bought a cyphergames pad ! at least i KNEW i was gonna get garbage then, rather then be misled....

either way. I'd rather spend the $600 canadian after shipping for a Flux, then $400 canadian for a RO....

once bitten, twice shy....
blue-kun
Administrator
Administrator

70. PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicotine wrote:
my one question is, why are all these n00b members getting chosen, rather then them picking people like 8ball, etc...people who KNOW about pads.

If 8-ball and other people only applied at all... frown.gif (There's only one person in the so-called `top tier', who didn't show up... Damn you chubs XD)

Nicotine wrote:
me on the other had....

I had an ignition 2.0..for a softpad, it rocked my world..... so when RO came out with their metal pads..i thought, poopy... might as well! it's gonna be a quality product....it's gotta be better then the cyphergames garbage my friend bought..

well, it arrived, and in 30 days, all the arrows had HUGE cracks in them (i am not a stomper..VERY light on my feet), it was un responsive, stuck arrows, would randomly STOP working during songs for no reason, and just felt flimsy.

at that rate, I wish I had bought a cyphergames pad ! at least i KNEW i was gonna get garbage then, rather then be misled....

either way. I'd rather spend the $600 canadian after shipping for a Flux, then $400 canadian for a RO....

once bitten, twice shy....

The metal pad RO has been selling was a sort of stopgap. It wasn't really RO's own product but rather a 3rd-party pad that RO put some modification in. Means, its base design is the same as crappy 3rd-part metal pad.

However, this new RO metal pad has been built from ground-up. For example, it's much thicker than the previous one and the frame is more reinforced with metal bars.

IMO, RO should not have sold the 3rd-party metal pad at all, which ruined RO's reputation and is backfiring now that they are selling this new metal pad of an excellent quality...

Eugene
Taric25
Trick Member
Trick Member

71. PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 things this pad needs:
1) Two back arrows (like Cobalt Flux's)
2) Start and select arrows in the front
3) A doubles kit
4) Lights

1 thing the Cobalt Flux's needs:
1) Lights

Taric25
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Syxx
Trick Member
Trick Member

72. PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taric25 wrote:
1 thing the Cobalt Flux's needs:
1) Lights

2) Brackets
Sanguinus
Basic Member
Basic Member

73. PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm debating buying either the RO pad, a CF pad or doing (read *finishing*) my homebuilt arcade pad... which would people recommend?

In addition, has anyone tried this pad with a USB converter? I'm using stepmania at the moment (since I have a non-modded ps/ps2) and I would definately consider usb-nonfunctionality to be a huge minus... whats the story there? (I doubt it'd make any diifference, but I'm curious to find out)

feel free to IM me with responses, but posting them is preferable as it'll help the "masses" who come afterwards (IMing + posting is no complaint from me either!!)

~ Sang
JonR28
Basic Member
Basic Member

74. PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one of these bad boys and it is awesome! Only problem is I live in an apartment and the lady downstairs came up to complain that I was shaking her whole appartment. Well excuse me! So if u live in an appartment make sure people downstairs are cool with it. I have to play while she is at work!
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: