Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

New RedOctane Pad Tryout in Northern California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diabloslayer469
Trick Member
Trick Member

40. PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the people who were chosen very good at DDR (can get good grades on 10 footers)? I would like to know how the pad is on 10 footers.

Last edited by diabloslayer469 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message
mintsauce
Trick Member
Trick Member

41. PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinmizu- shipping to the UK is not $300. Bizarrely, it's around $40- i checked by putting one in my basket and having it calculate shipping. I don't know why it's so cheap, but if it's not a mistake then i'll certainly be ordering one. E1.gif

(sorry, bit OT there frown.gif )
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website MSN Messenger
WrathX
Trick Member
Trick Member

42. PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diabloslayer469 wrote:
Are the people who were chosen very good at DDR (can get good grades on 10 footers)? I would like to know how the pad is on 10 footers.

Heya,

I chose people of various skill and backgrounds. The goal is to get the opinion of everyone, not just the super good people. E1.gif
Administrator
Administrator

43. PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gogo wrote:
Relevance is arguable. I'm suggesting people don't buy because of the company selling, so it does not relate to these pads, just the builder. If someone posts about CypherGames I make sure to tell them that those tend to die fast, and if people post about RedOctane I mention that they shaft tournaments. I'd say the company making a product is relevent, you might not think so.

As far as customer service goes, I agree. They have great customer servive. I bought two ignition pads from them before this whole tournament thing happened to me and they only sent one carrying case for both pads. When I e-mailed them they sent me the other one right away. However, tournaments are not CUSTOMERS.

As I did note in my post, RedOctane ignored both the pad winners. I know that these people E-mailed RedOctane about the situation. I also know that RedOctane didn't do anything to correct there 'mistake'. I did not E-mail them becuase I was neither the pad winner nor the con-chair. The con-chair didn't get involved because she didn't know enough about DDR to be informed. Before I started dealing with the tournament she still thought they had sent the upper pads, not the lower pads.

However, I hoped that was an isolated instance. I came on these boards and asked others about there experiences (and I actually expected people to defend RedOctane at that point, not confirm my instance). Other tournaments had been shaftted too. No one told me RedOctane had given their tournament exactly what they promized (actually, quite a few people noted they rented/bought from RO and they had good customer relations, but this was not a point I wasn't aware of already).

Its one thing to not sponser tournaments, but it's just nasty to say you'll send Ignition pads and then skip out after the tournament has already shared the prize news. It's not something a member of the DDR community should tolerate.

(Comments below are made without my DDR Freak administrator's hat; they are my personal statement.)

You admit that RO's retail department does have excellent customer relation, which is precisely what matters when people buy new metal pads from RO. To `the DDR community', it's a plus to have such great vendors.

If you are not satisfied with their business practice about tournament sponsorship, discourage the fellow DDR players (notably tournament organizers) from asking for sponsorship from RO. That obviously does help the community, because it will prevent similar incidents as yours. However, by urging people not to buy products from RO, you are harming not only RO but also the community because that way you are harming one of the great DDR-related resources (not RO's tournament sponsorship but RO's retail department).

Yes, I can see how you feel frustrated about RO, but the way you are taking a revenge against RO isn't in the right direction for the community.

My $.02,

Eugene
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Shinmizu
Staff Member
Staff Member

44. PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintsauce82 wrote:
Shinmizu- shipping to the UK is not $300. Bizarrely, it's around $40- i checked by putting one in my basket and having it calculate shipping. I don't know why it's so cheap, but if it's not a mistake then i'll certainly be ordering one. E1.gif

It's a mistake, unfortunately. The software they use isn't able to deal with automatically figuring shipping for overseas. $47.99 is the shipping for the US. It's all done by UPS domestically (I don't know about overseas, but it's probably still UPS).

http://www.cobaltflux.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143

Back on topic, I'd chose a majority of better players, since by a certain point you can really tell if it's you or the pad that screwed up.
Gogo
Trick Member
Trick Member

45. PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue^ wrote:

(Comments below are made without my DDR Freak administrator's hat; they are my personal statement.)

You admit that RO's retail department does have excellent customer relation, which is precisely what matters when people buy new metal pads from RO. To `the DDR community', it's a plus to have such great vendors.

If you are not satisfied with their business practice about tournament sponsorship, discourage the fellow DDR players (notably tournament organizers) from asking for sponsorship from RO. That obviously does help the community, because it will prevent similar incidents as yours. However, by urging people not to buy products from RO, you are harming not only RO but also the community because that way you are harming one of the great DDR-related resources (not RO's tournament sponsorship but RO's retail department).

Yes, I can see how you feel frustrated about RO, but the way you are taking a revenge against RO isn't in the right direction for the community.

My $.02,

Eugene

Points well taken. Some of them really made me look at my position a second time. I'm still drawn back to the conclusion that despite RO's good retail record, it is still RO that is screwing tournaments.

I am aware that my comments on RO's policy probably do hurt them, and that does not bother me (actually, it was my intention all along). I feel that as a member of the DDR community, I should not support a company that screws the DDR community (even a small part, such as tournaments). I also feel that other players should not support such a company either.

I also don't see RO leaving the playing field as a negative option. Buynshop.com makes very nice 'ignition' pads at half the cost. The only disadvantage to BNS pads is the vynl top (something that is fixed with socks). BNS pads even seem better made. They're easier to put inserts into. I currently wouldn't be recommending RO ignition pads purely because I think BNS has a better product/cost, if RO leaves I still recomend the same BNS pads to people.

Thanks for the alternate perspective. It defintly made me think quite a bit. But in the end, who would buy a product from someone who punched them in the face? Who would buy a product from someone who punched their friend in the face?

Dance Masters: JPMax Single-Light. USMax Single-Light, Single-Standard. JPMax2 Single-Light.

Onis: USMax Lesson Oni. JPMax2 MoreLight, BeForU,
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
matt4596
Trick Member
Trick Member

46. PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gogo wrote:

The tournament I was involved in running last year got <CENSOR> by RedOctane. We were told that we were getting a pair of Arcade Pads and a pair of Ignition Pads. Well, RedOctane sent us miswired Arcade Pads and those cheap $20 flat pads. The con head went with what RedOctane said and gave those pads as first place... Even though they were only cheap pads.

boo frick who. sorry red octane was even nice enough to sponsor your torney and give out free prizes.

on topic:
these pads look pretty nice.. i might get one. depends on what i hear about them first though.
View users profile Send private message Send email
blue-kun
Administrator
Administrator

47. PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gogo wrote:
I am aware that my comments on RO's policy probably do hurt them, and that does not bother me (actually, it was my intention all along). I feel that as a member of the DDR community, I should not support a company that screws the DDR community (even a small part, such as tournaments). I also feel that other players should not support such a company either.

I also don't see RO leaving the playing field as a negative option. Buynshop.com makes very nice 'ignition' pads at half the cost. The only disadvantage to BNS pads is the vynl top (something that is fixed with socks). BNS pads even seem better made. They're easier to put inserts into. I currently wouldn't be recommending RO ignition pads purely because I think BNS has a better product/cost, if RO leaves I still recomend the same BNS pads to people.

One thing. The more players in the field, the less chance someone will monopolize the market. Actually, I find RO releasing a new metal pad a desirable situation in that sense; given it's got the quality (I'll find out later today), it should give CobaltFlux a second thought.

Gogo wrote:
Thanks for the alternate perspective. It defintly made me think quite a bit. But in the end, who would buy a product from someone who punched them in the face? Who would buy a product from someone who punched their friend in the face?

There are two choices if you find someone who is aggressive, disgusting, etc. but nonetheless got something that you wanted from him. One is to shun him totally. The other is to face him deliberately to get what you want without hurting yourself and your friends. Yes, it's an individual choice that counts here. Personally I would go with the second approach; I tend to be practical in that sense.

Again, my personal $.02.

Eugene
MegaBeatManMania
Trick Member
Trick Member

48. PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been reading alot of "unhappiness" about this new pad coming out. i myself have had no problem with RO considering i dont do very much interaction with them. but is any one really happy that their coming out with a new pad? im leaving around 3:40 and im goin to tajke some pics. so if you have any ideas on what i should take a pic at nows ur chance to tell me. hopefully RO wont be like "WHAT?! CAMERA??! NO! NO CAMERA!!!@$!$!" or something like that. any ways ill check the post again before i leave.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
MeltyKiss
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

49. PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gogo wrote:
I'm sorry but your post has no relevance in this topic. RedOctane (like any other companies) makes mistakes, but when they made theirs, it seems as if you didn't even bother contacting them (maybe you left that detail out). Regardless, I've done business with RO before and they have excellent Customer Support... You just have to contact them and tell them your story instead of going on a message board and complaining.

Relevance is arguable. I'm suggesting people don't buy because of the company selling, so it does not relate to these pads, just the builder. If someone posts about CypherGames I make sure to tell them that those tend to die fast, and if people post about RedOctane I mention that they shaft tournaments. I'd say the company making a product is relevent, you might not think so.

As far as customer service goes, I agree. They have great customer servive. I bought two ignition pads from them before this whole tournament thing happened to me and they only sent one carrying case for both pads. When I e-mailed them they sent me the other one right away. However, tournaments are not CUSTOMERS.

As I did note in my post, RedOctane ignored both the pad winners. I know that these people E-mailed RedOctane about the situation. I also know that RedOctane didn't do anything to correct there 'mistake'. I did not E-mail them becuase I was neither the pad winner nor the con-chair. The con-chair didn't get involved because she didn't know enough about DDR to be informed. Before I started dealing with the tournament she still thought they had sent the upper pads, not the lower pads.

However, I hoped that was an isolated instance. I came on these boards and asked others about there experiences (and I actually expected people to defend RedOctane at that point, not confirm my instance). Other tournaments had been shaftted too. No one told me RedOctane had given their tournament exactly what they promized (actually, quite a few people noted they rented/bought from RO and they had good customer relations, but this was not a point I wasn't aware of already).

Its one thing to not sponser tournaments, but it's just nasty to say you'll send Ignition pads and then skip out after the tournament has already shared the prize news. It's not something a member of the DDR community should tolerate.

Then it's just a matter of experience, as RO gave me pads when they sponsored my tournament. When they even gave me the wrong pads, they told me to 'keep those' and still send me originally what they wanted to send me.... for two seperate tournaments.

[edit: forgot to edit the quote tag out]
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
IcyStaticBlast
Trick Member
Trick Member

50. PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just one question.... what happened to square and triangle?

I know they are not really useful... but would it really have beed that hard to tack them on there? E19.gif E19.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
DDRevolutionaire
Basic Member
Basic Member

51. PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: My one true passion has been taken away from me! Reply with quote

OMG! I was hospitalized for 3 days for an abnormal heart. disgust.gif disgust.gif hey told me I'm fine but Ican't do extreme exercises so Ican't play DDR! Grrr! Who feels my pain? [/img]
Ike Pie
Trick Member
Trick Member

52. PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheeeeeeee. I'm back from the testing place. Mmmm, they served free cookies.
Anyways....

What I thought of the metal pad

Appearance: 10/10
It was very nice and shiny. There's not much to say here.

Durablity: 8/10
It started missing after awhile, it didn't miss much and didn't occur that often. So yay.

Other Stuff I should mention: The pad is FLAT. It was all one flat surface, there was no raised buttons or anything. So it was easy to hit the metal parts. And the pad does slide just a tiny bit after a while of playing.

I'm not good at this kind of reviwing stuff, so I won't finish. E10.gif Let other people tell you about it now.[/b]
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
alanj
Basic Member
Basic Member

53. PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got back from the RedOctane offices, posted my review of the metal pad in the DDR Console forum.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
MegaBeatManMania
Trick Member
Trick Member

54. PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im back from testing. i had fun. got a couple of sodas, and sweated like freak as always. anyways, i like the pad. E1.gif

the pad moved very little. i was doin Exotic Ethnic, Orion Civ. mix, and healing vision angelic mix with very little movement from the pad.

i dont have much to say about the design. except that the control box i think is a good idea. u conect the box to the ps2 and the pad to the box. i like it at least. E1.gif

and the fact that its flat i think is good too. this way ur shoes dont get caught on the metel plates that hold the arrows down.

also the plastic for the arrows are said to never break. it suposed to be ome unbreakable plastic i forget the name for it.

Nelson told me that they dont know who much wieght it can actually hold yet. he said that a 200+ lbs guy was supposed to come in today.

in conclusion i like that pad, maybe some of you will agree maybe at least the ones who tryied it today if not then oh well. ill think about buying it once i get money E2.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
WrathX
Trick Member
Trick Member

55. PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great turnout! A few cancels and one no-show, but other than that, we had alot of great feedback and a pretty damn good time. Thank you all to those who made it! biggrin.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

56. PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anybody take some pictures? Can you post them?

Last edited by diabloslayer469 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total
Arcangel
Basic Member
Basic Member

57. PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: RedOctane Metal DDR Pad Reply with quote

Frosty,

I saw you snag all those cookies... E15.gif

Anyways, I got back from the Metal Pad Testing and I had a chance to meet up with EJ and some of the people who compose on DDRFreak.com. I had a pleasant time and we all finally got to see the RedOctane metal pad in action. I have a Cobalt Flux myself, so the comments will be somewhat of a comparison to the Flux itself. After each section, I'll give my own personal opinion on which pad seems to have the advantage. So let the comments flow...

Appearance: I remember giving this 4 out of 5. I liked it. I was a thick pad, metal-like. However, I didn't like the buttons. They feel like they have a slippery feel to it. One thing to note is the surface is not flush like the Cobalt Flux and it has a disadvantage where the buttons weren't raised. For those beginners, this might take awhile to get used to. Most of the players who tested it out were very experienced. For those who are discouraged that there are NO square or triangle buttons, you have to remember that this is modeled after their Ignition 2.0 pad design, so the arrows are positioned just like their other pads. So that means that the diagonal buttons function as your Triangle and Circle buttons. Also, they have their own control box, just like the Flux but where you plug the control box to the controller port as well as connect the control box to the Flux, they have a single wire that seems attached. Also, the pad has a disclaimer where "they recommend playing the pad with shoes on." Coincidentally, I play with the Flux with my socks so I find this discouraging. Everyone has to remember that this is a project at work, which means that the pad we're playing on today might not be the finished product.
Advantage: Tie. Cobalt Flux looks sexy/streamlined while the RedOctane design is like their Ignition 2.0 pads but is not bad looking in itself. Wish I had pictures of it. E2.gif

Sensitivity: I'm quite impressed with the sensitivity of this thing. It seemed very accurate with Simon (one of the DDRFreak peoples) hitting parts and at points, the entire song combos. In fact, this is on par with the Flux, maybe a tad down, but not missing by much. When I tried it, it seemed very accurate with me and I was just missing just because I'm a casual user and these guys making me look bad (most of these guys are experts, I'm just a casual home/arcade player riiight.gif ) The Flux may have some competition here...
Advantage: Cobalt Flux by .1%, the RedOctane pad is really good if not, exactly at the point of perfection exhuberated by the Flux.

Durability: I really can't comment on this. Seemed alright because the pad was taking all the steps we put on it and it seemed alright. I'll firmly believe the pad can take abuse when I see a bigger person using it and they start quality testing (i.e. spilling soda on it, and beating on it). I know that EJ is trying to get the pad to go through the "Explorer" test and when it survives that and still plays like a charm, THEN I'll comment on it.
Advantage: Cobalt Flux (for now) cause they REALLY make sure that their pads can take abuse (I spilled soda on mine one time and it still worked like the day I first tried it)

Overall: I would obviously give the RedOctane Metal Pad credit but for now, the Cobalt Flux is the superior Metal Pad. Not to say that this pad by RedOctane is bad, but actually a project at work. Unlike their first metal pad offering, they are consulting with an outside company and they are making steps in the positive direction. I have to mention that this is NOT the final product we were playing on. Once we get to test out the final project, it should be right up there with the Flux for a little less of the price. A note to pass to everyone: EJ also mentioned about having an extended warranty and shooting down the idea of having a 60 day warranty...don't know if it's going to be like Cobalt Flux's 6 months but hopefully, it'll warrant some confidence with you guys. But to compare this to RedOctane's first metal pad offering, it looks like RedOctane is doing their homework and for once, is trying to release a metal pad that is on par with the Flux. Anyone else who was there, please leave comments and your impressions!

--Michael

P.S. EJ, anytime you want a comparison test with the Flux and the RedOctane Pad, you know where to reach me! E4.gif
fliptop180
Trick Member
Trick Member

58. PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: how were the lights? Reply with quote

how were the lights? did they always light up? did all of them light up after you complete a song like in the arcade?
diabloslayer469
Trick Member
Trick Member

59. PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: how were the lights? Reply with quote

fliptop180 wrote:
how were the lights? did they always light up? did all of them light up after you complete a song like in the arcade?

I don't think the lights would really matter. I read that they are just small lights around the arrow (like mymybox metal dance pads). Not like the arcade lights.

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: