Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Konami Announces DDR MAX2 for the US
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
St. Nick
Trick Member
Trick Member

40. PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Perhaps we'll see a partial song list at E3. I hate to start offering desired songs, but : two words.

Leading Cyber Another. (ok 3 words)

oh, and tell KOJ to hurry up and PLEASE release 7th style. (if at all)
cfusionpm
Trick Member
Trick Member

41. PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i for one, would like to see oni courses that make sense instead of "am3pkcet: stupid fucking onis with absolutely no theme and random asortments of songs and difficulties" besides that i would not like to see any more of those terrible club songs or old beatmania songs. im gonna end up buying it no matter what it is anyway cuz i just collect bemani and it will be something new, i just hope i dont waste my money.
Trick Member
Trick Member

42. PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: heh Reply with quote

yyr wrote:

Oh geez... if they go ahead and dump that on there, they might as well go ahead and put Crash! and Let Them Move in there, as well.

Let the move is the shiznit laugh.gif
Yeah! more US releases.YEAH!
$CHINGCHING$(bought every one exept disney mix)
Trick Member
Trick Member

43. PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELL YEA I KNEW THERE BE A 5TH DDR GAMES FOR USA WOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA biggrin.gif
Guido
Trick Member
Trick Member

44. PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Life get any better? cant wait for those oni courses
Trick Member
Trick Member

45. PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean wrote:
So I don't see why you'd be upset about having to unlock stuff unless you were only ever planning on playing 10% of the songs on the game (and then I'd question why you bought it in the first place). I mean the way you write about it, you'd think it took you a month to unlock all the songs...

...If it's a chore to unlock songs in DDR, then maybe DDR in general has become a chore to you. It's not really a big deal. People get sick of things all the time.

Actually, it's not that I'm sick of DDR at all. I play at the arcade almost every weekend, I listen to the music when I'm not playing, I talk about it way more than I ought to. But I'm so familiar with the Japanese versions that there was very little reason for me to play the majority of MAX USA. I went right for the new exclusives' Heavy steps, AAed most of them, went for Oni mode, passed two courses out of the default three (Paranoia Evolution stopped me from passing Variety), and then... it pretty much sat there for a long time. Honestly, I've been playing mostly in the arcade lately, but when I have actually played at home, I've been playing the Japanese 5th and 6th more than US MAX... I think it's the whole "practice for the arcade" factor more than anything.

I don't feel my money was at all wasted, however. If I buy every American DDR release, it's like voting, right? Maybe they'll eventually decide to release another USA arcade version, or bring some other Bemani over here... not to mention, if I didn't have the Japan versions, I must admit that MAX USA is certainly the best American release yet.

~yyr
Trick Member
Trick Member

46. PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally liked how that version of Paranoia Max in MAXUSA was the [Another] version of the song.

I didn't realize this at first. I heard it and was like wtf?

Then I booted up IIDX 6th Style and attempted Paranoia Max on Another. I was like whoa, go fig!

Perhaps Era(step mix)?

now, that's what I'm talking about!
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Remy
Trick Member
Trick Member

47. PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutriss wrote:
This is more geared for LOKI and Remy...

Considering that Konamix was a hacked 4th Mix and Max was...well...Max, it's pretty likely that edits from Max2USA will be far easier to work with in the arcade, is it not?

BTW - What happened to Loki's Edit Converter thread? It didn't just get un-stickied, it plain disappeared.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, wasn't Extreme supposed to have a new step type once upon a time? Or was that just some rumor that got lodged into my head as "fact"? The only variant type of step I could think of that DDR could add would be a staccato step.

Regarding cross-working of edit data, it's been discussed that the problem is that there are region codes on the edits, and thus the Japanese machines won't read them. While I'd *like* to be able to make edits with the US home mixes for Extreme, I'm not holding my breath.

As usual, if you're really dying to make edit data, get MAX2 JP. Even if all the songs don't make it to the home version, there's always been the ability to make edit data for songs that are in the corresponding arcade version.

Cryptic's converter thread was stickied until about two days ago, when I mentioned to Maple that it hadn't been posted in for nearly two months.

As for a new step in Extreme...maybe you got the Marvelous step lodged as a new play mechanic? They're still in Extreme, just only for Nonstop and Oni.

As for a personal wish list of 5 things I'd actually like to see on MAX2 USA:

1) I'd like to see a revamped Lesson mode. The fact that it's been the same 24 lessons since Lesson mode was first created is...troubling. There really should be lessons on freeze arrows, since they trip a lot of newbies up. I don't even thing Beginner mode on Extreme does a great job because it re-enforces the "return to the center" ideal. So, as unpopular of an idea as this might be, make it more accessible for new people.
2) Workout mode really needs an endless option back in it.
3) The licensed songs were a good start, and now obviously we need a bit more. There's a gold mine of older licensed songs that haven't appeared on US mixes yet, and I'd be more than happy if some of them returned. For my sanity, I'd say throw a bone to the Jenny Rom / Smile.dk fans.
4) There was a big back-and-forth about why Konami didn't decide to use the full DVD-ROM for MAXUSA. Frankly, I could care less how many songs end up on the mix, I'm well aware of the cost issues and the back catalog sales issues. But there's no excuse for the background videos to be as overly compressed as they were on MAXUSA. None.
5) The unlock system for MAXUSA, as is pretty well evidenced by the number of repeat threads on @Home, was a bit too complicated for most people. Make it clean, make it obvious. Have a screen with numbered unlocks, and make the goals a little clearer. Hell, if it went to a point system ala Super Monkey Ball 2 (for unlocking the party games) or MKDA (for unlocking, well, everything) where the user gains points for playing the game and can then choose their unlocks, that may make everyone happy.

This is just me thinking out loud, and should in no way be taken to represent what will actually happen on DDRMAX2USA.
Trick Member
Trick Member

48. PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit..... nah, nm
Trick Member
Trick Member

49. PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Plans Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
One thing to remember with the speculation:

DDR MAX US was planned before Konamix was. So think about when we heard the announcement of Konamix, and realize that Max US had already been in the works. Enos knows what is in the future of DDR, and so when he plans a game like Max US or Max2, he is able to choose things that either just came out or aren't out yet (ie Drop the Bomb System SF, and having Oni mode). So, what does this mean?

And a new arcade game to go with it would be awesome *wishful thinking*

So the timeline went: begin Max, begin Konamix, end Konamix, end Max? Interesting. I heard that KOA snagged the logo and the name for this awhile back so I've been expecting this game but that was so long ago I nearly gave up. In the DDR PC thread I think I may have said something like "So we're done now?" Heh. I knew KOA wouldn't dissapoint me.

If KOA can simultaneously develop two DDR games then maybe they have other non-DDR ( to emphasize the Bemani != DDR ) projects being planned that they haven't announced or started on yet. North American arcade machines would be my first choice. A Bemani PS2 game that requires me to buy a new controller but not also a mod chip would be a close second. </my wishful thinking> Of course, if KOA was was just planning DDR sequels on top of each other untill our feet fall off that'd be good too. I've always been happy with what they've created.

For some reason I'm already getting more excited over this than I was for Max. What does that mean? *crosses his fingers and hopes for another early release date*

Can't Stop Falling In Love Speed Mix is nessessary for life.
View users profile Send private message
Spike
Administrator
Administrator

50. PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So the timeline went: begin Max, begin Konamix, end Konamix, end Max?

Indeed it did. Enos started planning Max, but felt that there was too much time between DDR USA and Max, and it would be quite the leap between the two games. He felt that Konamix would be a nice transition between the two, so that we could get more songs and not have to wait forever for a game.

As for a songlist being at E3, that would be nice. And who's going to be there? DDR Freak biggrin.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

51. PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the voute for the ORIGINAL Gentle SStress. It doesn't even have "sexual" in it's name, and is hundreds of percent better. E1.gif

The AMD remix was just cut seriously short AND slowed down, an dit sounded good until I heard the original.

So, here are some more songs fo rmy wishlist.

1) Ghosts. E1.gif
2) Dam Dariram Mk 2 (bye bye baby baloon). Heck, the original Dam Dariram would be okay too. E1.gif
3) Ska a Go-Go, cuz it's oh, so catalicious.
4) We will ROck you (the game needs an easy fun liscensed song)
5) more Oni courses than you can shake a stick at. E1.gif
6) Some more chart topping US dance hits, like Heaven, Drownin, andm heck, maybe some 2 Unlimited songs too. E1.gif
7) So Deep
8) Never Ending Story, cuz it's a cool song. E1.gif
9) V and A
Errant Squire
Trick Member
Trick Member

52. PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
8) Never Ending Story, cuz it's a cool song.

I'm with you on that one, I'd also like to see Groove, D2R, The Wistle Song, and Highs off you.

It would also be good to see a training double mode to make it more appealing to newer players. The biggest problem with double is the pads though.

I'd like to see Kanomi catoring more to the newer, and more experienced players. Sponcering tourney's, maybe start a sanctioning system like Wizards of the Coast. Standardized tournaments. Maybe have a technical tournament mode in this new game. I doubt it would be used much but if they made use of the new ethernet adapter for the PS2 so that you could link 2 and play with 4 people that might be neat. Oh the possibilities, you could play triple or quadruple. Or you could play 2 player double. Oh the posibilities.
Trick Member
Trick Member

53. PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... internet ranking would be nice, but... then you have all those idiots that use the controller. Damn.
O NOES!!!1 its Nitsuki!!
Trick Member
Trick Member

54. PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i'm really hoping that they would actually add ghosts to the list instead of faking us out w/ the sample from that dreaded demo disc, if ghosts is in that mix, then 0wnage riiight.gif i'm pretty much guessing MAXx Unlimited is automatically in there.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
m_tofu
Basic Member
Basic Member

55. PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... sort of new to the DDR scene. i know no one can know this for sure, but how often do these games come out for home release? it will be almost exactly one year for a sequel... is this too soon, or too late?
ddrmax5
Basic Member
Basic Member

56. PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Oh. YEAH. Reply with quote

I can't wait! E4.gif Yesssssssss!
View users profile Send private message Send email
Errant Squire
Trick Member
Trick Member

57. PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Maybe have a technical tournament mode in this new game.

I meant like you could have some friends over and have a tourney set up on the game, like in fighting games.
Quote:
I doubt it would be used much but if they made use of the new ethernet adapter for the PS2 so that you could link 2 and play with 4 people that might be neat. Oh the possibilities, you could play triple or quadruple. Or you could play 2 player double. Oh the posibilities.

I meant like having 2 PS2's in the same room with 2 tv's and 4 pads. That'd be crazy wouldn't it?
Quote:
Sponcering tourney's, maybe start a sanctioning system like Wizards of the Coast.

I meant like tournaments at arcades, where they would be sanctioned by Kanomi. They could have tournament coordinators approved by Kanomi, and after the tourney they could send in the results for an internet ranking for both technical and freestyle. You could have a membership card with a numerical code for tourneys so that you could literally play anywhere that the tournament system was supported.
Just a thought, pry a lot of capital involved. But hey if WOTC can do it with hundreds of unrelated hobby shops around the world why can't Kanomi?
Trick Member
Trick Member

58. PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m_tofu wrote:
hmm... sort of new to the DDR scene. i know no one can know this for sure, but how often do these games come out for home release? it will be almost exactly one year for a sequel... is this too soon, or too late?

Well, let's see.

"Dance Dance Revolution" came out on 5/9/2001.
"Dance Dance Revolution Konamix" came out on 4/26/2002.
"DDRMAX: Dance Dance Revolution" came out on 10/30/2002.
DDRMAX2, whatever it ends up being fully named, will ship in Fall 2003.

So yeah, 10-12 months between mixes seems to be average; Konamix to MAXUSA was sort of weird since work started on MAXUSA before Konamix started, as Spike has attested to.

So I don't see this as being any longer than the usual gaps.
Staff Member
Staff Member

59. PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh...I had a post ready to go on this yesterday, but forgot.

I didn't mean that DDRMAX2 USA would have the ability to make edits for the arcade - what I meant was that it'd provide the machine code. We already know how to fix the region code, but we just don't know the MAX2 machine code. At any rate, MAX2 JP would be out before MAX2 USA, so it's kinda moot.

*That* is what I was getting at.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: