Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

burning in my ankles

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrssage
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: burning in my ankles Reply with quote

i've been playing heavy doubles for the past year (adding this fact because i considered it might change things a little bit), and maybe after an hour or so of playing, my ankles start to burn while playing. i always stretch before starting my session and keep myself well-hydrated. usually my lungs used to give out before my feet but it's not so anymore. anyone have this problem? and how do you deal with it? it's really been killing my efforts to pass harder songs.
View users profile Send private message
Toraie
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An hour of playing heavy doubles is bound to be excessively stressful on your ankles, seeing as you have to cross-step and stretch a bit as you play. Now, seeing as you've been doing it a year, you obviously know that, so the only thing to say is, "Take a break."
Maybe icing them is a bit much, but lay off it for a few days. I've taken a week (sometimes longer) long break and come back, only to pass a song I thought I couldn't before.

It's just general advice, really. I don't think there's anything that could be a real problem.
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
namcoman
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

2. PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: burning in my ankles Reply with quote

rrssage wrote:
i've been playing heavy doubles for the past year (adding this fact because i considered it might change things a little bit), and maybe after an hour or so of playing, my ankles start to burn while playing. i always stretch before starting my session and keep myself well-hydrated. usually my lungs used to give out before my feet but it's not so anymore. anyone have this problem? and how do you deal with it? it's really been killing my efforts to pass harder songs.

I would say 99% of my customers would give out and tire on doubles in about 30 minutes of playing. I must admit your doing good.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Slayer³
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: burning in my ankles Reply with quote

rrssage wrote:

Hi rrssage,

Glad you posted. I have been playing doubles for years and generally play for hours at a time (if I have the time during the day biggrin.gif ).

My skill level is 13s
Play style is bar (itg) or no bar (ddr)

The problem with your ankels is one of three things.
A: Playing doubles will use the surrounding muscles more, as you move differently and step at varying angles. If this is the case there are foot exercises you can do to strengthen them.
Towel pulls are a great way to increase your foot and leg muscles.
Sit in a chair, back straight.
Grab a towel with your toes and life your leg up until it is horizontally streteched (almost straight, do not lock your knee).
Hold for a few seconds, then lower your foot without it touching the ground.

Perform several reps.
Over time you will want to increase the time your foot + leg remains in the air.

B: You're shoes are banging against your ankles or causing unwanted pressure. This can be due to the shoe design or size.
To check for this, simply look at your bare ankle after playing.
Is skin shaving off?
Does it look red, irrated, or feel bruised?
Those are all signs that you need a different shoe.

C: You are stepped to heavy and/or not bending your knees.
Stepping too heavy increases the impact force on you ankle, joints and knees.
Not bending your knees increase the impact to 2-3 times that normally.
Make sure you're knees are bent at all times, this may make some muscles soar at first if you are not use to it. Over time you will find this to be significantly more comfortable.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: