Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Getting used to the bar + easy 11s

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
umanwizard
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Getting used to the bar + easy 11s Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not a super hardcore player -- I can pass most 9s and easier 10s (My Favourite Game, Fleadh Uncut, DotA, Cookin' by the Book, Calendar Girl, things like that). I just started using the bar, and although it makes my legs get tired much less quickly and makes it a lot easier to get through difficult (for me) runs like those in Fleadh Uncut, it makes my arms SUPER tired after just two or three songs. Is this just because I don't have any arm muscle to speak of, or am I holding or using the bar wrong? Or does it just take getting used to?

Also (unrelated question) what are some pretty easy yet fun 11s? I want to know what are some low-hanging fruit that I can work on so that eventually I'll be able to say "I passed an 11"? E1.gif
View users profile Send private message
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Don't use the bar

2) Robotix is the easiest to pass if you can get the speedup. If not, try Infection or Charlene with the "no mines" mod to start.
umanwizard
Basic Member
Basic Member

2. PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. Why do you say not to use the bar? I am genuinely better with it (there are songs I couldn't pass no-bar that I immediately began passing when I started using the bar)... the only problem is that it tires out my arms.
View users profile Send private message
bonner
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

umanwizard wrote:
Thanks for your response. Why do you say not to use the bar? I am genuinely better with it (there are songs I couldn't pass no-bar that I immediately began passing when I started using the bar)... the only problem is that it tires out my arms.

Do not, under any circumstances, listen to people who tell you that bar usage is wrong. Closed-minded thinking like that of the bar haters can only hold you back. There have been a million "bar vs. no bar" debates in the history of DDR and ITG, and it doesn't need to be brought up again. Bar usage is a smart way to play because it takes stress off of your lower body. The bar is a part of the machine and a part of the game; using it is a personal choice, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You're still hitting those arrows with your feet, and that's all that matters.

MOVING ON... One big tip for using the bar is to watch your posture. Stand up straight, don't slouch down onto the bar. Slouching down will put more stress on your shoulders/biceps/triceps. Don't hold the bar with a death grip either, and don't be afraid to give your arms a rest by letting go of the bar during easier sections of a song where you might not need it as much. Finally, try folding over a towel and laying it on the top of the bar as a cushioning hand grip. It can help immensely, especially when you start playing longer songs.
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could realize that you can still play well without the bar and it will help you on many levels. Then when you do start bar raping, you will beast the crap out of everything and be able to rate mod 15 block charts.
Toraie
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAVE101 wrote:
Or you could realize that you can still play well without the bar and it will help you on many levels. Then when you do start bar raping, you will beast the crap out of everything and be able to rate mod 15 block charts.

this

it's exactly what I've been doing. Now, I haven't quite gotten to 11s, but I've made it thus far with 零 -ZERO- bar usage. (get it?)
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
bonner
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toraie wrote:
DAVE101 wrote:

this

it's exactly what I've been doing. Now, I haven't quite gotten to 11s, but I've made it thus far with 零 -ZERO- bar usage. (get it?)

So let me get this straight... You can't pass 11s, but you know the best advice to give somebody who's trying to pass their first 11?
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonner wrote:
So let me get this straight... You can't pass 11s, but you know the best advice to give somebody who's trying to pass their first 11?

Never said once it was the best.
bonner
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toraie wrote:
bonner wrote:

Of course you didn't explicitly say that it was the best advice, but it sure seems implied considering how adamant you were.

Let's clarify then: Do you think there's any reason to consider bar usage for progressing to harder songs? Are you advocating zero bar usage? If so, then why? And if you have never used the bar yourself, then how do you have any grounds to say that it's not a valid option?
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonner wrote:
Toraie wrote:

Of course you didn't explicitly say that it was the best advice, but it sure seems implied considering how adamant you were.

Let's clarify then: Do you think there's any reason to consider bar usage for progressing to harder songs? Are you advocating zero bar usage? If so, then why? And if you have never used the bar yourself, then how do you have any grounds to say that it's not a valid option?

Heyo, thanks for being rational on this thing called the internet.

There's a very valid reason to consider bar usage; done properly, it takes a ton of weight off your legs, allowing more speed and agility. I'm not advocating; I'm simply saying (as opposed to bragging) that I've managed to get as far as I have (crossovers, speed and everything) without using the bar. I've seen many good players pass 9 and 10-footers with the bar, but they wouldn't hit any of the crossovers.

I have used the bar, but only experimentally, and not on songs or sets that I consider to be 'ranking'. I've watched other people and talked to them, and decided to try their technique a few times. It does help, but it's also definitely an option.
bonner
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psychotik wrote:
Charlene is probably the easiest. Maybe even Xuxa.

As for tiring arms, basically what bonner said, except for the towel thing. I don't use it and I can play for 10 hours a day without my arms getting very tired.

sup psychotik, this is mute. laugh.gif

Still try a towel though; it helps, especially if you're a bit taller and holding the bar puts too much stress on your shoulders.
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonner wrote:
Psychotik wrote:
Charlene is probably the easiest. Maybe even Xuxa.

As for tiring arms, basically what bonner said, except for the towel thing. I don't use it and I can play for 10 hours a day without my arms getting very tired.

sup psychotik, this is mute. laugh.gif

Still try a towel though; it helps, especially if you're a bit taller and holding the bar puts too much stress on your shoulders.

A comfy pair of work-out gloves is also nice.
(also helps with hands biggrin.gif)
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Toraie
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supporting my own theory, I passed PSM Heavy last night using the bar all the way through except for the last stream. When I don't use the bar, it's lucky if I can get to it.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: