Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

DDR X Issues Address; Online Step Editor Revealed

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DahrkDaiz
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: DDR X Issues Address; Online Step Editor Revealed Reply with quote

In a surprise move, Konami seems to have owned up to their mistakes of a bad DDR X release.

http://www.ddronlinecommunity.com/news_posts/91

Alongside this, they've released a beta version of their step editor that allows edits for US DDR X machines.

http://ddredit.konamionline.com/
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
henyo2k
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Konami loves us Reply with quote

I hope they lose sleep over releasing the current version of DDR X. They are owning up to almost nothing in this news release. Here is what they owned up to:

-Sync problems in some songs

Here is what they didn't own up to:

-Difficulty meter redesign making it confusing to compare old and new ddr songs
-Lowest quality screen ever used in an arcade machine
-Pads that don't respond when you hit them with a sledgehammer, the world's fattest man can't complete a freeze arrow
-Speakers that put out maybe 20 watts, sound like $30 pc speakers
-Ugly design in general, from fingerprint city to middle school decals
-Announcer who breaks down all of your self esteem, sounds like a carnie from the fair
-Remixes of classic DDR songs (ie butterfly) that sound exactly the same as the original song
-Locked bridge between pads and cabinet, one distance from the screen fits all I guess
-Sheet-metal pad surface with sharp edges, great for pedicures
-Promised feature of shock arrows seems to be totally left out, so absolutely nothing gained from corporate-stomping Roxor, like killing a buffalo and letting it waste and rot in front of a native american tribe
-Spitting drone nails all american players right in the face as they put money in the machine, with real Japanese imported saliva!

...and the list goes on...

Seriously the last one is a joke, but I actually think it would be an improvement. Look at it this way, at least then big K would be telling you how they honestly feel. I mean, they tried to put the message into the machine in every other way possible, so why not go all out?

The only thing that press release actually "owns up to" is that Konami designed this whole thing themselves. Betson should take no blame for this monstrosity, and I, for one, am once again putting all my hater-ade back into the Konami cooler. They addressed sync issues? Wow, big deal! That can be expected with almost any music game. Games have bugs upon release every time, and this is nothing unusual and was making up less than 2% of the fans' doggy. It is so impressive of them to "man up to" this "major" issue.

Oh, another great thing is the bait-and-switch play that happened. Location tests were done with the amazingly built Japan version, and then Konami sold the POS version to our arcades, or, rather, had Betson sell it. Way to try and kill our arcades even after they are already dead.

Konami, you have NO honor, and I know all of you japtards give a big poopy about that. Americans made the best dance games, and you disgraced your country. You're Winner!

Anybody identify with any of this?
People who care- are jealous
Asian- no, African American- no, Spanish- no
Explanation- don't believe the stereotypes you hear, and I hate rap music!
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
DahrkDaiz
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*yawn*, leave your ITG fanboyisms at home.
PureBlue
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in before lots of pissed off konami and ITG fanboys
View users profile Send private message
henyo2k
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darhk, thanks for making the title to your post extremely misleading to the point of basically being a lie. Also thanks for trying invalidate everything I said with a simple insult containing no argument. You work for Konami, yawn
DahrkDaiz
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
-Difficulty meter redesign making it confusing to compare old and new ddr songs

I'd much rather have seen Konami do this rather than the whole "let's pool everything harder than Paranoia Survivor under 1 rating" that they were doing. It was becoming pain stakingly obvious that some of the later 10s were not really "10". And besides, in the long run it doesn't matter what the rating of a chart is. The rating doesn't modify the steps or your ability to have fun. It's just a guide to the difficulty.

Quote:
-Lowest quality screen ever used in an arcade machine

I think we just made a left turn into Hyperbole Lane.

Quote:
-Pads that don't respond when you hit them with a sledgehammer, the world's fattest man can't complete a freeze arrow

Yes, the pad quality is bad and it's inexcusable. Konami owned up to this. They admitted that they were the ones who made the bad design. Did I say it was ok? No. Owning up to something means you take the blame for it.

Quote:
-Speakers that put out maybe 20 watts, sound like $30 pc speakers

Hey we've been on this street before.

Quote:
-Ugly design in general, from fingerprint city to middle school decals

Some people like the redesign, some people don't. Who cares if there's metal plates that can get finger prints all over it. I'd worry about the kids that don't know how to wear clean shoes before playing before I would about finger prints.

Quote:
-Announcer who breaks down all of your self esteem, sounds like a carnie from the fair

Breaks down self esteem? Wow, I can't believe you let the announcer get to you that much. I find him annoying, but he's not going to stop me from AAA anything.

Quote:
-Remixes of classic DDR songs (ie butterfly) that sound exactly the same as the original song

They're not remixes. They're re-edits. Same song, different cut. Hence "2009 X-Edit" in the title.

Quote:
-Locked bridge between pads and cabinet, one distance from the screen fits all I guess

It's better than having the pad 3 inches from the screen.

Quote:
-Sheet-metal pad surface with sharp edges, great for pedicures

You shouldn't be playing with bar feet anyways.

Quote:
-Promised feature of shock arrows seems to be totally left out, so absolutely nothing gained from corporate-stomping Roxor, like killing a buffalo and letting it waste and rot in front of a native american tribe

Shock arrows weren't left out? They're in there? Look at some of the challenge songs. Besides, Roxor didn't come up with the idea of arrows you must avoid, remember, they modified Stepmania. The only original idea from Roxor were some of the mods and rolls. Everything else had been done in a dance game before, or maybe we like to forget about PIU.

Quote:
-Spitting drone nails all american players right in the face as they put money in the machine, with real Japanese imported saliva!

And you wonder why I responded the way I did >_>
henyo2k
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you actually tried to take on my points. Anybody who has actually played this thing will know full well the validity of everything I said. Don't worry, that announcer won't stop you from getting a AAA, but the pad most definitely will, that is, if you can even hear the song at all and the screen isn't lagging by .2 seconds. The horrors of this machine are totally inexcusable, and until the real issues are addressed most DDR fans will never play it more than once. I honestly hope you are not trying to say that you beleive DDR X to be an acceptable entry in this legenary series with it's current cabinet. Am I misinterrepreting your attitude towards it?
DahrkDaiz
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are. I'm not saying DDR X by any stretch of the imagination is ok the way it is. The news post was to show that Konami has finally acknowledged the fact they know about the issues. They intend to at least fix the lag, which I have no doubt that they will as the initial Japanese release took several updates to get it just right. The pad design was a large mistake in Konami's part and Konami has redirected the blame from Betson to themselves, and everyone assumes it was Betson.

The only gripe that's really valid with DDR X is the bad pad design and the screen lag. The screen lag will get fixed. The game itself from a software standpoint is just fine. They're trying a lot of new things in this mix. Somethings will work, somethings will not. I'm glad they're at least trying something new without stomping all over the core game play. I can also understand they're attempt at the alternate cabinet design. The US economy is at a low point and they know in order for them to get maximum sales, they would not be able to sale the same cabinet since arcades in the US aren't near as profitable as arcades in Japan. I don't think the American DDR X cab will become the new standard at all.
Slayer³
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem is the pads are terrible and the crap design makes them difficult to maintain. Rather than shop one arrow, you have to take off that entire piece of metal at once.
The sensitivity sucks with the new design.

I play barefoot doubles. (except at 1 location which requires shoes) Screws and stuff don't bother me. (Although I run barefoot so my feet are condition, I do not recommend this if you do not have conditioned feet because it will hurt)
Sharp points can always be filed down if need be.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Moonbeam Funk
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X would be a decent game on an upgrade cab. No lag, good pads. Konami seems to be addressing one of the two major issues (ETA: Taking the blame != addressing, but it's a good first step). We just need to get them on top of both.

by far,
a humble heart
beats a full stomach
videoCWK
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, there's no mention of the pads. I do hope they're going to do some kind of fix for those as well. I played on an X for the first time yesterday. The pads were clearly modified since I could hold freezes and weigh 130, but I still got pad misjudgments. I also didn't like the feel of them. It may have been just this machine, but the panels were much more slippery than on the SN2 dedicab behind it. Additionally, the panels felt like they were moving around when I played. This happens on the old cabs too, but this time it actually felt like they moved. I also experienced the infamous fatigue from them.
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how the editor only supports 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 notes.

Man, Konami is so funny.

I swear, Konami is to dance games as The Onion is to news.
View users profile Send private message
NateTheGreat555
Basic Member
Basic Member

12. PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaire~ wrote:
I like how the editor only supports 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 notes.

Man, Konami is so funny.

I swear, Konami is to dance games as The Onion is to news.

Goooooood call.

At least no one's gonna be spamming machines and giving normal songs Bag-esque style steps...

...course, that does have it's moments.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: