Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

The algorithm behind the calorie counter.

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyubic
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: The algorithm behind the calorie counter. Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get information on the workout mode's calorie counter? More specifically, I'd like to know how the counter works and the algorithm it uses to come out with the (usually very whacky) calories burnt information and such.

Thanks!
View users profile Send private message
strapple
Basic Member
Basic Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know this too! I've been searching for ages but all I get is a bunch of random unsupported numbers and equations that dont make sense.

More specifically I'd like to know the equivalent of ddr to jogging/walking (IE: how far you walked/what speed/what time/calories burned)

i hear the home version does this but id like to know the equation so i can do it at the arcade since thats what i prefer
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Xanthros
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't know any of the equations or methods used for their calorie counter, I do know that there is no way to convert this to a real amount of calories burned.

The problem is that it varies greatly between players. A newbie who is playing 8s or 9s and has bad form will burn many more calories than an experienced player who can play those all day without getting tired.

Your best bet is probably to count it as a sort of "generic cardio" or something and estimate based on how long you played for.
Administrator
Administrator

3. PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xanthros wrote:
I do know that there is no way to convert this to a real amount of calories burned.

Actually, I was working on this after trashing my original step dissertation. It would deal with formulas relative to the distance each foot moves per step and the height of the arc the foot makes while traveling to the next step. Along with the speed of the song and a few other factors, this was going to show something I called "absolute difficulty", instead of looking at or playing a chart and saying "oh, that's an 8".
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phrekwenci wrote:

Actually, I was working on this after trashing my original step dissertation. It would deal with formulas relative to the distance each foot moves per step and the height of the arc the foot makes while traveling to the next step. Along with the speed of the song and a few other factors, this was going to show something I called "absolute difficulty", instead of looking at or playing a chart and saying "oh, that's an 8".

Sweet! Why didn't you finish it? Or, you do plan on finishing or you're working on it currently?

Do you plan to calculate for various playstyles or just for optimum playstyle?

I think the so-called calorie counter in the home games is just a gimmick (and a misleading one at that) to try to get the people who might buy the game for workout purposes or such to buy it. If you had a more scientific calculation, at least this would be more useful.
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

5. PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HumanBeing wrote:
Phrekwenci wrote:

Sweet! Why didn't you finish it? Or, you do plan on finishing or you're working on it currently?

Do you plan to calculate for various playstyles or just for optimum playstyle?

I think the so-called calorie counter in the home games is just a gimmick (and a misleading one at that) to try to get the people who might buy the game for workout purposes or such to buy it. If you had a more scientific calculation, at least this would be more useful.

The idea was to value everything under default settings. No song/speed modification with a player standing erect (not holding the bar) and determining the difficulty this way, which would have directly correlated with calories.

I didn't finish it because I never had a good way of testing it. I would have needed a program that read .dwi or .sm files and output information. By myself, I never had the capability to do this. I commissioned a few people to give it a shot but I never received a final product.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: