Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Injuries

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
céline
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Injuries Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I'm a new player, I'm training myself, but yesterday i hurt me. I had a big cramp in my ankle, it was really painfull and still painfull today.
Does this ever happen to someone?
What happen to you?
How to play without get injuries?

Cheers
View users profile Send private message
chennymountain
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda sounds like you twisted your ankle. It should go away soon.

delrio
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happened to me, too, when I started playing doubles and I had trouble finding the steps as I moved, and I fell right off the right side of the pads.

It probably is not anything major, but if it keeps up, you might want to get that checked out. If it feels better tomorrow, just ease your way back into playing. Step light and easy.
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks to be you
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
iemaxx
Basic Member
Basic Member

4. PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its because you didnt stretch before playing, i always stretch my legs and all of my body before playing and it helps alot.

I have never been injuired in ddr at all.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
PrayerWarrior35
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 Years of playing dance games pretty much 5 hours a week on average with no injury other than blisters or cuts on my feet from hitting something, once I sliced open my thumb when cleaning my Cobalt Flux on the sheet metal. I ran a few marathons 1.5 and 2.5 years ago, suffered some injuries when training for those on both my knees.

Anyways 5 months ago I had this annoyance in my Left calf, after a month and it got slightly worse, I saw my doctor he said don't worry it's just a sprained muscle. After the second month I was taking an abs class at the gym (I do a little more than just dance games, a little strength training as well for total body health) anyways noticed a spot in my back that shot pain through my leg. Immediately saw a chiropractor who said it was a pulled muscle, it got worse and he said to go to my doctor, he said it was a pulled muscle and to take muscle relaxers, they did nothing, it got worse (really bad at this point), I was also seeing a physical therapist at this point. Finally saw a neurosurgeon had an MRI and I have a ruptured disc in my back that is pinching my ciatic nerve.

I told my physical therapist that if I can't do dance games I'll die, she told me if it doesn't cause pain I can keep doing it.

TL:DR version, physical therapist believes that bar raping caused me to have ruptured a disc in my back. I've totally scaled down the intensity of playing and am re-learning bar-less play. Just a warning, I'm not sure what hurt me but be careful with your posture when playing. I hope to be able to bar rape again since I refuse to double-step (future, bracket rape, heel-toe, whatever you call it, I still step in the middle of the arrow) and I still haven't passed Summer Speedy Mix (I've passed all the other ITG songs on single).
..Love Is Patient, Love Is Kind... It Does Not Envy, It Does Not Boast, It Is Not Proud... It Is Not Rude, It Is Not Self-Seeking... It Is Not Easily Angered...It Keeps No Record Of Wrongs... Love Does Not Delight In Evil But Rejoices With The Truth... It Always Protects...Always Trusts...Always Hopes...Always Presevers... Love Never Fails...
~1 Corinthians 13-4:8~
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
NOVAEX
Basic Member
Basic Member

6. PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to learn how to play more flat footed. All the years I've played up until now I've tended to use the balls of my feet to step, mostly because I subconsciously think its more accurate or something. But I'm 24 and its starting to get to me, hurts bad a few days after intense play.

Other injuries I sustained before: the pads were annoyingly dusty (ever clean an arcade pad? I swear its like someone came in with their feet covered with mud and played it till they were dry). As the pads are played on this dust gets kicked up and put all over the smooth acrylic, and one time this caught me off gaurd and I fell face first into the monitor. Instinct helped me stop from completely eating it, but I did hurt myself falling like that. I bring a towel to the arcade from now on.
Slayer³
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prayer Warrior, ouch that sucks.

I too do more than just ddr/itg.
I've completed 2 marathons, hit the gym regularly, and am currently conditioning myselft to run my first barefoot marathon next year!
(I'm up to 5-6 miles bf)

Yes it is important to keep good posture, I've found bending the knees helps a lot (especially for harder doubles stuff like Energizer, Hasse Miche, etc.)

I've noticed poopy shoes make a huge difference with injuries.
(especially blisters, and having the little toe get crushed + bloody, or getting stub-nail when the nail keeps hammering into the front of the foot).

Good posture, keep the knees bent, strech after a 15 minute warm up, or after playing. (steching cold significantly increases your chances of injury and is worse than not stretching at all).

Good shoes will help too.
For shoes I recommend a minimalist shoe without a heel.
(some pumas, feelmax, vibrams, etc.)
Heels can lead to injuries because it applies greater impact to your knees.
(I don't recommend going barefoot unless you've taken the long process to condition your feet, otherwise you will injur you're feet on the brackets. If you want to, I highly recommend walking on ashphalt daily for 1.5-2.5 months, carry shoes with you and put them on once your feet feel raw. After a few months go for short runs and carry those shoes in case you need them.)
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: