Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

I had a crazy idea. Is this plausible?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
0rion
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: I had a crazy idea. Is this plausible? Reply with quote

So, there's a possibility that I can buy a Dance Freaks machine for about 900 dollars. I know that DDR cabinets can be converted into Stepmania cabinets with not too much difficulty, so this got me to thinking.

I really enjoy Dance ManiaX, but there are really only four versions of the game (Dance ManiaX, Dance Freaks, Dance ManiaX 2nd, Dance ManiaX 2nd Append), which is somewhat limiting.

So, let's talk about theory, here. In theory, do you think it would be possible to create a Dance Freaks theme for Stepmania (it should be no trouble at all), then convert a Dance Freaks cabinet into a Stepmania cabinet in order to create a brand new mix complete with new modifiers and songs?

And supposing it's possible, do you think it would be a neat thing to do, or do you think it'd be more hassle than it's worth?

IMPORTANT NOTE!

For legality purposes, do NOT discuss the specifics of converting an arcade cabinet on this topic! This topic is only discussion of this idea IN THEORY. In practice, it isn't legal to convert a machine (Roxor learned that painful lesson already), and I don't want to get this site or myself in trouble.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
ICNH
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I'm sure someone could figure out how to do it. In my opinion, it's more trouble than it's worth, but jump on the machine if you can get it for $900. Worst case scenario, you have fun with it for a while and resell it.
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes a good deal of sense. I'm not sure if I can scrape together the funds to get it, but it's a neat idea to toy around with just the same.
Random_Hajile
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the interface of the machine. If it's a standard JAMMA cabinet then it should be almost as easy as converting a DDR cabinet to run StepMania. But if it's all proprietry hardware and connectors, you might run into difficulty. Having never seen inside a DancemaniX or Dance Freaks machine, I can't say. If you do get hold of it, some pics of the inside of the cabinet would be useful. I could let you know if it's possible in theory.
View users profile Send private message
0rion
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, man. I appreciate it. If I can figure out a way to buy it, I'll get that info for you. Again, I'm much obliged.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: