Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Arrow speed and FA
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asymptote
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Arrow speed and FA Reply with quote

I'd like to know what you guys think about this... I've noticed that most of the really high scoring ITG players use really fast arrow speed, almost always with 3x or 4x.... even the one and only guy that has passed Vertex^2 ex. at my old arcade plays it on 1.5x which seems rediculous to me (555 bpm x 1.5? ouch).... I however am more comfortable at lower speeds (usually 1.5x - 2x, 1x for really fast like Energizer or Vertex and 2.5x maybe for special cases).... i'm guessing this is because i prefer to play DDR on 1x, so playing DDR for a while 1x only has me comfortable with lower speeds rather than blazing arrows. Now here's the thing.... i want to know, do you guys think that even if i have no problem READING the chart at a low speed (Euphoria expert, very complicated but i pretty much know exactly what i have to step on 2x), would i greatly improve my FA if i started to train myself to better play higher speeds like 3 and 4x regularly? Do you think those high speeds have something to do with your great FA? Do you maybe use those high speeds for just the sake of FA or is it just because you really can't read the chart that well unless your arrows are going that fast? I'm wondering because i have relatively horrible FA compared to many, and i'm also in the minority in my arrow speed preference. Well?
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing with high speeds is just a play style. If you are more comfortable with lower speed mods and you start playing with high speed mods, you're not going to be used to it and you will most likely fail.

I play with high speed mods because it helps me read. I usually 4x or 3x everything. On songs like VerTex^2, I 2x it with hallway. If you make me play a song I usually 4x on 3x or lower, I will score poorly and will do poorly.

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Kalek
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that I get better FA in higher speeds - to a point. But, as you're going up, don't all of a sudden go up from 2x - 4x. Go up from 2.5x only on songs like 130 BPM or less until you get used to it. When I switched to 4x, I also went to Hallway. Hallway allows you to see farther down the screen. Now I use 5x up to about 140 or 150, and 4x on anything higher, except super fast songs like Pandy, Energizer, and Vertex^2.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Synaesthesia
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mini is also a good trick for increasing read speed.

G_G
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
CHUCK BASS
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's something you can't do on DDR.

The ITG arrow skins make fast speeds easier to read, so now anything that isn't 300+ is slow on 1.5x/2x for me.

I usually read on 3-4x now. It helps a lot.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Edible Bondage Tape
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malice.BluR wrote:
Playing with high speeds is just a play style. If you are more comfortable with lower speed mods and you start playing with high speed mods, you're not going to be used to it and you will most likely fail.

bullshit

the first time i ever put on a speed mod i did significantly better (somewhere in the area of 20 more perfects) and sitting downa nd doing compairsons yeilds the same constant improvment virtually instantly requardless of skill or which speed level played at
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how big a mod you put on it. If you take a 150 song and put it on 1.5x, then yeah, you probably notice an immediate improvement. But if you have no speed mod experience (as we don't in this example), and I said play this on 3 or even 4x (a speed range I would rather comfortably read at) it would mostly likely be too big a jump for the average 1x player.

G_G
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electronic Bank Transfers wrote:
Malice.BluR wrote:

bullshit

the first time i ever put on a speed mod i did significantly better (somewhere in the area of 20 more perfects) and sitting downa nd doing compairsons yeilds the same constant improvment virtually instantly requardless of skill or which speed level played at

Yeah, I guess that's you. I just thought that that was the general rule for what most people would fall under.

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
J. S. Mill
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

8. PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed increases the visual size of the fantastic window, so they will improve your visual FA. Some players notice a critical difference (visual players), some none at all (audio players). It depends on you.
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. I am an audioplayer, and I space the arrows out enough just to read them comfortably and no faster because I never EVER look at the target arrows thus the improved FA doesn't really help me.

And yes, Pandemonium x1 isn't very logical. I don't think anyone asked it, but even us audio players usually play it on x1.5.
View users profile Send private message
Capajoe
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pickles... nuff said >_>

If I remember correctly he has a 90% on Euphoria 1x.
J. S. Mill
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

11. PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capajoe wrote:
Pickles... nuff said >_>

What are you trying to say? That 1X is fine for some people? That's true.

Capajoe wrote:

Considering how much he plays and how much better he was then everyone else before the game came out, that is freaking terrible. Random people at my tournaments get near that, there was a time when Pickles was one of the premier players in the world.
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, I've found that playing somewhere around 400 - 420 BPM is a comfortable play zone for me. Generally this is 2.5X or 3X and it makes it easier to read large clusters of arrows. For the most part when I speed it up faster than this it allows me to READ the notes better, but my FA goes down.

My two cents.
Rainault
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to join the minority and say that although I like speed mods in ITG, I don't use the higher-end mods like most people. I've noticed that my speed mod preference depends not only on BPM, but also on song difficulty. For example, Pick Me Up and Tango is a sub 140 song (I don't recall the exact BPM), and it's an 8 on Hard, so I'll play that on 1.5x most of the time. Charlene is at about the same speed, but it's an 11, so I play that at 2x. Euphoria is only slightly faster at 140, but it's a 12, and a densely packed 12 at that, so I would play that at 2.5x or maybe even 3x.

There are only four songs in which I always play 1x: Pandemonium, VerTex, VerTex^2, and Energizer. I can't think of a single song I'd play at any speed higher than 3x, not even Bloodrush. Granted, I haven't passed Bloodrush yet, but I can read it relatively well at 2.5x or 3x. It's just a matter of stamina for me. Every once in a while, one of the other players will challenge me to play a song at 1x (he's a 1x no-bar whore, though no offense intended to him), and I'll do it. I score lower than I would have with a speed mod, but I can usually read the song just fine.
Rajjab
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capajoe wrote:
Pickles... nuff said >_>

he got a REALLY bugged 90% on it

sup i play Gunbound also
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
IHYD.Blake
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

15. PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MFS has triplestarred almost every double expert 9, and probably all hard 9s and below on 1x. Its just a playing style.
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

16. PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPF5.Kiba wrote:
Speed increases the visual size of the fantastic window, so they will improve your visual FA. Some players notice a critical difference (visual players), some none at all (audio players). It depends on you.

I'd say I'm a mix of both, but you hit the nail right on the head higher speeds definetly make the fantastic window seem bigger, which I think is why I play a lot of songs on 4x.
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPF5.Kiba wrote:
Capajoe wrote:
Pickles... nuff said >_>

Capajoe wrote:

Considering how much he plays and how much better he was then everyone else before the game came out, that is freaking terrible. Random people at my tournaments get near that, there was a time when Pickles was one of the premier players in the world.

How is that terrible >_> I haven't seen anyone get anywhere near 90% on Euphoria 1x. I know I can get it with 4x, but there's no way on 1x.

Plus isn't Pickles the only one who has 100%'d an Expert song on 1x? I'd say that's pretty good too. He's owning the survival scores like no other also >_>

Back on topic

I don't know anyone around my area who doesn't use speed mods while playing. I score far better with speedmods too. In general, people who play with speeds upwards of 600-700+ bpm scroll speeds ALSO use the bar. It's quite hard to react that quickly without it. I use both when I want to score. However, on something like a survival course (other than some speeder songs) I don't use the bar since it hinders me when the scroll speeds are slow and the steps are basic.
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaku☆ wrote:
SPF5.Kiba wrote:
Capajoe wrote:
Pickles... nuff said >_>

Capajoe wrote:

How is that terrible >_> I haven't seen anyone get anywhere near 90% on Euphoria 1x. I know I can get it with 4x, but there's no way on 1x.

Plus isn't Pickles the only one who has 100%'d an Expert song on 1x? I'd say that's pretty good too. He's owning the survival scores like no other also >_>

Even with 1x no bar, Pickles used to be one of the best. He was comparable to all of the even the greatest speed-mod users. Now, lets face it, he pales in comparison to many, many ITG players.
J. S. Mill
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

19. PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggage has it right. If you play frequently (and he does) and you started as maybe in the top five in the world, it's inexcusable for it to be the case that you could enter one of my local tournaments and not make top eight.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: