Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Continue without Arcade Machines
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tekkie
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Continue without Arcade Machines Reply with quote

Okay, so because DDR's been somewhat dormant lately with the lack of arcade releases, I guess we should think about the future.

What if Konami announces that they're never going to make another arcade version of DDR but would keep producing home versions? Would you still stick with it, even if it was confined to the occasional console game coming out? Would that be okay in your opinion?
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be fine, well, as long as all the songs that were on the Arcade machines were on the Home Versions as well, and as long as Red Octane keeps making pads. E1.gif

Longest String: 3495 (So close to 3500.)
Favorite Song: Dynamite Rave (Long Version)
Favorite Stepchart: MaxX Unlimited {Heavy}

FlashFlashRevolution S/N: Megalo.......Send me a Challenge.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Lurker
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be fine, but for people who don't like playing at home it would not.

I like playing in the arcade, the scores mean something, it's a LOT funner. I have not bought a DDR home version since Max2.

justin.
Quad_killeR ^.^
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think since DDR is doing extremely well in America that if Konami makes another machine it will probably be a US machine. And if they decide to kepp making home versions, they need to step it up a bit as the last few games were lacking at best.
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would suck if they just made the console version and stopped making the arcade version. I've been playing for about 7 months now and I have never touched the home version, I see no point: Sitting at home playing DDR for hours on end because there is nothing else to do, see I'd rather get out and do something. The arcade provides that "something" Because I can play pool or any of the other arcade games and still be able to play DDR. Plus I think that the whole arcade environment provides an atmosphere that makes it funner to play in. So in my opinion DDR arcade: kicks buttocks; DDR home: sucks!
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends. If they're the same quality as Extreme US or Extreme 2, then I won't buy them. Extreme 2 had a great song choice (except for most of the American covers) but it had that tedious mission mode/dance master mode.

I would keep buying home versions if they

1. Got rid of the Dance Master and Mission modes as the only way to unlock songs and other things and just stick to the "after 10 or so songs you get a unlock" days of DDRMAX2 and before.

2. Stopped creating terrible sounding American covers, and started importing more songs from Beatmania IIDX or GFDM or some other Bemani game.

3. Created brand new songs for that home version.

4. Made a harder difficulty than Heavy for all songs.

5. Put 32nds and more flexibility with 12ths in Edit Mode.
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. They were trying to be new and innovative with DMM. Can't blame them for trying.

2. Home versions are marketed to the general populace, not the people who know every Bemani game in existence. They're the ones who like the "terrible sounding licenses," and since they spend more money than you or I, Konami will continue to market to them.

3. I don't doubt that they will.

4. They have it (Oni). They just don't actually use it most of the time.

5. VERY few songs can use many 1/32s without becoming too difficult for the "DDR range." And we won't see any 1/12 flexibility without Konami rewriting some or all of the engine, which is highly unlikely (the engine is incapable of properly approximating 1/12s such that the error is not noticeable).

I don't know why people keep asking for arcade songs to come home; if they're at the arcade, you can play them there. The more arcade repeats are on the mix, the less new/innovative it is.

I *seriously* doubt we'll see a new arcade release from Konami. For one, they make Xbox-sized profits off home versions compared to making arcade machines. Plus, they face some VERY tough competetion from Andamiro; remember, ITG2 is technically part of the PIU line. With PIU Zero coming soon, they have the "fun" factor basically wrapped up. ITG2 takes care of all the technical players. Basically, (it seems to me that) DDR can't do much except say "hay guyz, we have those Bemani songs you like!" True, but I suspect that I would have much more fun playing such songs on IIDX instead of DDR. And songs are highly variable to people's own preference; if ITG3 went and got a couple J-something songs, and some super eurobeat, then I'd have to say "gg DDR lol," because that's the only thing DDR has going for it (for me), is that I happen to like a plurality of its music more than ITG or PIU.

(Glorius, I only have to edit this post)

But DDR can still do stuff to be interesting and remain competetive in the home version market! Let's look over these things, listed in a pseudo-order of importance

-New, better engine. I don't care if you have to ask SM to use their engine, but for the love of God, somehow acquire a gaming engine technologically tantamount to ITG's.
*As a corollary to this, make better arrows. No more sprites. Sprites are bad and ugly and no fun. Design and use a rendered model.

-You see that Oni difficulty? Use it!! You see how you have a 10 rating? USE IT!!! Not every 10 has to be OMGWTF Maxx 1000 Crunchitize-me-Cap'n Mix, but make inventive 10s that are fun to play. A lot of people regard that the average ITG 10 is easier than the average DDR 10; but the ITG 10 is more fun. DDR doesn't need difficulties that would make Reach's fingers bleed, but difficult 9s and moderate 10s (like, 10s ranging in relative difficulty between Sakura and PS for the most part) won't hurt. I'm much more likely to play a song on ITG that's mediocre at best but has at least a 9 Expert chart than one that only has a 7 Hard.

-More fun charts at higher levels. Sure, DDR has some fun charts, but the majority of those actually fun charts are 7-8 footers. Get some people actually working hard on the idea of "how can we make a chart that's only a 9 but will make technical players happy?" Look at PIU's stepchart design--granted, they get an extra button to play with, but their chart design is magnificent. Is the revival of 6-panel the answer? I don't know, it's worth a shot, as long as the charts are intelligently designed.

-Include at least 2 timing options. Having Marvelous displayed is a step in the right direction for Ex 2. How about having an option that has at least "Normal" for the regular home version timing, and "Difficult" for arcade timing. Then, much more of your skill transfers from home to the arcade. You could even put "Easy" timing in there for the truly self-esteem sensitive, or maybe even "Extreme LOL" timing in there wherein Marvelous =Just Great on IIDX.

-Coerce people into playing Doubles. I don't, because there's no real incentive for me yet. Make some songs that can only be unlocked by playing their Doubles charts or something. Lord knows it's an underrepresented mode that could breathe some life into the game.

-Remember SubStream? Since beatmania US is on its way, bring back an implementation of that. Hell, you have a cross-promotion thing going on with "Sing and Dance" mode in KR, why not have the option of one person playing IIDX, and the other dancing? Or hell, have them do all 3 (2 people, mind you: the IIDXer can "make" the music while the other hapless individual tries to sing and dance).

I'm sure I could think of many more potential improvements, but this would be a fantastic start for DDR home versions.

G_G
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Iman
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Arcade Machines = No DDR For Me
View users profile Send private message
Razor LOL
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i completely agree with you Synaesthesia, but i think that if they stop making arcade machines, it would be a VERY BAD descision 'cause it would be like a tresure hunt to try and find a relatively clean and good-working machine for people (like me) who are still very much into DDR, plus the songs would get repetitive (they kind of are for me, but i dont get to go very often if at all) and the only ITG cabinet i went to was and upgraded DDR cabinet, so the arrows didn't light up and it just didn't look right (plus the bar is missing the cushions and is worn out to death where they should be). I would get bored without arcade machines for DDR, 'cause for some reason i get bored playing at home, which it might 'cause of the atmosphere, pads, songs, sound system, and crowds.

I love DDR, but don't get me wrong ITG is awesome too, but i would hate to see the father of the dancing game die, especially so soon and undignified. All they need to do is make the changes like you specified, and maybe some other adjustments here-and-there, and they could definately redeem themselves, not just changing their home versions, but also try to release another arcade machine, maybe only in select areas and see how it does there first, 'cause while PIU and ITG are really taking off, it doesn't mean DDR has to sit there and watch, they could at least try to compete and possibly win themselves back.

However, even if they do fail, the father will never die in me, unlike other ITG fanboys who don't appreciate the work that DDR has taken to make it the phenomena that the dancing game was, is and will become, and how in itself has matured and gotten better since the first mix, which i dont think other people see, so we need to preserve DDR and continue to make it a great dancing game (it doesn't need to be the best), but it definately should not be neglected, so we need to stop and think about how much the dancing game has evolved and how ITG and PIU wouldn't even be created (let alone this popular) without DDR, and i think people need to stop and think about it and appreciate what DDR has done, not just for us freaks, but for how many people have played it, still play it, and will continue to play.
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still collect the home versions, mainly because I need the exercise and practice. As long as DDR machines remain available in arcades, I wouldn't mind if newer mahines wouldnt be made.
Razma
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

10. PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a business point of view, DDR is already dead. I've said this so many times in so many other threads, but the point is the same. To arcade vendors, DDR Extreme is popular, but getting old. Enters In The Groove which vendors are now very hesitant to have due to the Konami v. Roxor lawsuit going on right now.
Where does this leave us?
Pump it Up. They're still making new versions and they are beginning to cater more towards a beginner audience. Pump machines are cheaper to obtain and have easy to find parts.

Basically, it wouldn't matter if Konami says it or not. Until something new comes out, people will play ITG and Pump. I try to push Pump more and more every day because of how rockin' it is. Even some Konami employees we know here (CALLING YOU OUT MIK!!!) are devout PIU players.

Console releases are fine, but in order for the social world of DDR to grow, the arcade counterpart is a must.

Last edited by Razma on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
GARYYY
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was told by my arcade manager in my city they are getting ex 2 for the arcade in the spring, which means there is something new coming
tekkie
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GARYYY wrote:
i was told by my arcade manager in my city they are getting ex 2 for the arcade in the spring, which means there is something new coming

PS2 in an arcade cabinet, prolly.
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tekkie ▶◀ wrote:
GARYYY wrote:

Well, the only other option is a jacked-up bootleg of some sort.

G_G
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
flcl573
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synaesthesia wrote:
Tekkie ▶◀ wrote:
GARYYY wrote:

Which is probably better than all those Extreme bootlegs out now.
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synaesthesia wrote:
Tekkie ▶◀ wrote:
GARYYY wrote:

Well, you never know. Good ol'Father Konami could pull something from their sleeves. An Extreme Two machine might be exactly what DDR needs to breath some life into the world of Arcade dancing. They would just need to bring it into the new century and be able to play off a gamble.

As for how to improve, someone should send threads like these to Konami. Unless there's agents here from Konami already reading them...
Synaesthesia
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konami employees read some forums, but looking at these forums as a whole, would you REALLY trust what most people had to say? I'd say probably <1% of people here actually have ideas that would help increase DDR's appeal to the general public. And this pretend DDR AC mix would only be breathing life into its fans; PIU and ITG2 have been giving life to the genre for a long time now.

G_G
gerinis
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synaesthesia wrote:
Konami employees read some forums, but looking at these forums as a whole, would you REALLY trust what most people had to say? I'd say probably <1% of people here actually have ideas that would help increase DDR's appeal to the general public. And this pretend DDR AC mix would only be breathing life into its fans; PIU and ITG2 have been giving life to the genre for a long time now.

That is true, but some of these ideas are good, and Konami doesn't need to absolutly read them all, but considering some wouldn't hurt.
pidgezero_one
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that'd be fine by me. i don't get out to arcades that often.

but i wuldn't be surprised to see mass bootlegging and home construction of metal mats, and people finding a way to hijack old machines from their locations o_O
maxx freak
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be fine with home versions only. I only play home because there is no arcade near me. I have max2-ex2 so I am usEd to home.

<typed on my pocket PC biggrin.gif >
View users profile Send private message Send email
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: