Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Share your opinion about In The Groove!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auspher
Trick Member
Trick Member

80. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing I'd like to add is that I think ITG would be a better game if it just had more replay value. I'm not sure why but I just get bored of playing it. It seems to be lacking something..
Yarni
Trick Member
Trick Member

81. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone on the side of ITG wrote:
something something about ITG having more than DDR something something

well... DUH. obviously the graphics are better

obviously the step charts are "new" and "innovative"

obviously there are more mods

obviously there are newer options and modes

Dance Dance Revolution is old as frick!!! ITG is brand new! if Konami made a real new DDR game, it would beat the crap out of ITG! didn't you see where DDR was going with TRICK oni course??? ITG basically picked up where DDR left off, and if Konami decides to stop being lazy, then everyone will, without a single doubt, come rushing back to Dance Dance. you cant argue with that... we all grew up with DDR, and if it came back everything about it would be superior to ITG, including, (once again) fanbase and popularity.
View users profile Send private message
NSMH
Trick Member
Trick Member

82. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max.(period) wrote:
I actually agree with you on one thing and that is that this thread should be closed because all it is, and all it ever will be is a pointless argument between the Real and the Copy.

I, for one, support this debate. I see no problem with having a friendly debate and deleting all the lame posts that might start a massive flame war. It might not go anywhere, but when does debating actually accomplish anything? laugh.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

83. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necrosis wrote:
Max.(period) wrote:
I actually agree with you on one thing and that is that this thread should be closed because all it is, and all it ever will be is a pointless argument between the Real and the Copy.

I, for one, support this debate. I see no problem with having a friendly debate and deleting all the lame posts that might start a massive flame war. It might not go anywhere, but when does debating actually accomplish anything? laugh.gif

True..
NSMH
Trick Member
Trick Member

84. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yarni wrote:
Dance Dance Revolution is old as frick!!! ITG is brand new! if Konami made a real new DDR game, it would beat the crap out of ITG! didn't you see where DDR was going with TRICK oni course??? ITG basically picked up where DDR left off, and if Konami decides to stop being lazy, then everyone will, without a single doubt, come rushing back to Dance Dance. you cant argue with that... we all grew up with DDR, and if it came back everything about it would be superior to ITG, including, (once again) fanbase and popularity.

That's a little hard to say at this point. Looking at the home versions, there really hasn't been any major innovations made. Also, DDR probably wouldn't make the challenging (10, 11,12,13) charts that ITG has and will always have. Their graphics probably wouldn't change, either.

I would probably still stick with ITG (unless konami somehow pulled a miraculous game out of their butt). I am in love with the game right now. DDR was fun, but ITG presented slick and smooth graphics, many new fun songs (horray for no j-pop!), and a great, yet fun challenge for those who thought DDR to be a pushover.

All right. I need to stop typing. Im too tired.
Trick Member
Trick Member

85. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necrosis wrote:
yarni wrote:
Not true. I never use speed mods on bag. when i first played it, i was myself, a noob, but i only used speed mods on it for less than 2 weeks. (granted i dont play every day) speed mods are fine, really. NEEDING speed mods is very very bad though, that's what I'm against.

I really don't know why using speed mods is a bad thing. For DDR, I usually keep it at 1x-1.5x, and for ITG, it can be anywhere from 1.5x-5x. Why is is a very bad thing to use them? It's not cheating, it is also possible from DDR as well (Just not as needed). In ITG2 cabinets, they set the default scroll rate to 1.5x, simply because the ITG noteskins tend to be a little more crowded than DDR. In your case, would it be a bad thing, or would it be considered ok, when even RoxoR itself supports the use of speed mods?

BAD, you missed the point. No, speed mods arent a bad thing. ACTUALLY NEEDING THEM, like NOT BEING PHYSICALLY OR MENTALLY CAPABLE OF PLAYING ANYTHING AT ALL ON 1x... THAT is what is very very bad. and by having RoXoR puttin 1.5x as default, only means that they need to rethink the whole game. DDR was set up perfectly. maybe they should make bigger arrows. Whatever it is, that counts as a flaw. using speed mods sometimess is fine (Extra stages, challenges, etcetera) but to play every song in every game ever with a speed mod is dumb. I can't stand that. It makes it look like learning to do anysong in DDR in 5 mins is something that any old uber noob can do. tsk tsk... for shame, i say. I'm actually embarrassed to call myself a Dance simulation player. (i never say that phrase exactly, lol)
NSMH
Trick Member
Trick Member

86. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to each their own. thumb.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

87. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necrosis wrote:
I would probably still stick with ITG (unless konami somehow pulled a miraculous game out of their butt)

Well, I'm sure that I am right, because i think everyone her can agree that if Konami even cared enough to make another DDR game, they would indeed pull a miraculous game out of their butts, with advanced graphics card, (kind of like they did when they switched from 5th mix to 6th mix) and new options ... "the works". I'm sure that they are tired, so it would be one of those, "okay listen we are tired of this dance dance crap so will all of you please shut the hell up if we make one more game that just has EVERYTHING in it?" mixes. It would just have everything, and nobody could complain. They wouldn't mess around if they were going to make a new mix.
DDRNemesis
Trick Member
Trick Member

88. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again it should be said that ITG should not be called a dance game, it should be called IIDX with your feet. ITG doesn't resemble dancing, DDR resembles dancing more than ITG. ITG IS ONLY trying to appeal to hardcore people, that is why most of their 6-8 are boring and repetitive. If they really want to draw in more people they need to bring in better steps, I hate songs with stupid 1/16 notes because they really aren't needed. The music in ITG IMO is also very boring. I can never hear the beat of the songs even when I have bass turned up all the way. The music is also one wayed, mostly generic trance and crap R&B. The inhouse work is nothing special at all. And if the arcade version keeps adding all the songs from previous versions, the game will stop selling, just because arcade owners will keep waiting for the next version to come out.

I'm an affiliate for Play-Asia, click on banner for all of your BEMANI needs!!!
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
Yarni
Trick Member
Trick Member

89. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDRNemesis wrote:
Once again it should be said that ITG should not be called a dance game, it should be called IIDX with your feet. ITG doesn't resemble dancing, DDR resembles dancing more than ITG.

Look, I'm glad that you are on our (DDR)side, but listen to yourself... that doesn't even make any sense. DDR, DS(Dancing Stage), ITG, PIU, P'nS, EZ2, TM, and DS(Dance Station) don't resemble REAL dancing at all. All of those games have to do with hitting arrows(and funny looking creatures) to the beat of a song with your feet. The REAL dancing games are Para Para Paradise and Dance Maniax. IIDX isn't a Dance game, nor does ITG have 7 arrows. When did beatmania and beatmania III fall out of existance? Those are closer, with 5 keys... maybe you could call PIU bmIII? Either way, none of that makes any sense, please think these things over before you say them, because thats the kind of thing that makes us look like we don't know what we are talking about.

DDRNemesis wrote:
I can never hear the beat of the songs even when I have bass turned up all the way.

That is YOUR machine. My ITG2 machine is fine bass/treble/volume -wise. Just tell the guy in charge to lower it. Although I don't see why that makes a difference, seeing as how all the music really does sound the same. It's like downloading a completely random song pack for stepmania with no official songs in it. They are all random and boring. Bass makes no difference.
Synaesthesia
Trick Member
Trick Member

90. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDRNemesis wrote:
And if the arcade version keeps adding all the songs from previous versions, the game will stop selling, just because arcade owners will keep waiting for the next version to come out.

My understanding of the matter is that after the songlist is deemed large enough (might happen at ITG3) what they'll do is just take out the songs that very few people actually play (hallo Dax, hallo Anet). I'm pretty sure they could use stats.xml to figure that out rather easily.

G_G
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
NSMH
Trick Member
Trick Member

91. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDRNemesis wrote:
I hate songs with stupid 1/16 notes because they really aren't needed.

I think 1/16th's ARE necessary. I can understand this point with a song like Pandemonium (which techinaclly they are 1/8th's), but in reality, most of the songs with 16th notes/runs do follow the music. For example: The reason I love Hordcore of the North (Expert) is because it has basically no gimmicks -- everything follows the music, yet it is still a great challenge at the same time. Without 16th's, ITG and DDR would be boring as hell.
Trick Member
Trick Member

92. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people, throughout the course of playing DDR, made "friends."

They would see these "friends" at tournaments, their local arcades, and talk to them online and on the forums.

Eventually, people got tired of DDR Extreme because it had been out for several years and everyone was godly at it. People stopped going to arcades with any frequency.

As the community was about to disband, a new game called In The Groove came along. People were hesitant at first, but suddenly players were seeing their "friends" again.

The community rejoiced not necessarily because of the game itself, but because it reunited everyone with their "friends." For this reason, In The Groove became very popular.

Hi, my name is The State Of California and this is my story.
Trick Member
Trick Member

93. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I do have a few things to point out. Note, these are idea for improvement, I can tell off all of the ITG and/or DDR fanboys some other time. BTW, this will be revised and e-mailed to Roxor:

1) Repitition.

Most of the charts, especially non-expert charts have very repetitive and monotonous rhythyms, often times having exact replications repeated mulitple times for a section of the song, and then having it repeated multiple times later in the chart when a section of the song is repeated. Some reptition is good, but varying step groupings (a.k.a. rhythym) and arrow order (a.k.a. direction) are necessary.

2) Graphics.

Make them more exciting. I know that the game is going after a different fanbase than DDR, but perhaps more people would be interested if it was more appealing graphically. Some simple changes could be using brighter, more vibrant colors for menues, rather than dull shades of red (ITG2 I believe, still haven't actually played it) or blue (ITG1). Some contrast would be good, rather than simply transparent red planes, outlined in black or white, hovering over a red background.
Background graphics could also use some improvement. Telling a story with the videos can be fun. At least using some videos that have something than randomly rotating, moving, swirling/twirling, motion function x would be good. Sure, some are corny. But in DDR, some of the random vids (such as random three girls against a white background in Overblast and Look to the Sky from MAXUS (CS)) can be fun and add a sense of humor and/or overall fun quality to the game. I don't ask you make a more similar clone, but with the graphics capablilities of your machines, something NEEDS to be done.

3) Loading times (console versions).

Please make them shorter. Anything you have to do. Need to make the menu less fancy? Do it! Just please, it gets really annoying.

4) Random stuff.

I, like many others, do agree that you should attempt to stray away from some of the things that are, for all practical purposes, redesigned functions of DDR. Obviously the basic hit some arrows gameplay won't change, but some other things should.

My first idea, once again for hom versions, is to allow you to create a profile. You would sign in, similar a game like Halo, and from there your name would automatically be entered for high-score. This would also allow for automatically having ALL of your personal mod selections available from the start, rather than having to switch from the previous persons settings.

More important though is having mod selection saved for individual songs. This would mean I could play Vertex and automatically have c450 on, as I did last time I played it. I could then go play Touch Me and have 2x on, as I did last time I played it.

Ability to switch to versus or double, or single for that matter, without having to return to the main menu and endure more loading times (double would be especially nice).

Can we get an ITG2 bundle in stores, readily available, with only one pad? That would be really nice. The only bundle I saw, not on your website, was the $100 bundle at Best Buy, which I only saw once.

A pad/controller option in a menu somewhere. This could distinguish between the two scores. I always have to take my memory card out when playing on controller, that way I don't have bogus scores on my file. But sometimes playing on a controller is fun, or even necesarry for getting used to a song.

And now, my most novel, and probably most unaccepted idea:

Don't make different charts for the sake of multiple difficulties!!!! Have some songs that, simply because of the music, have easier charts. You still rate these charts, but the purpose of having 5 different charts is no longer having mulitple difficulties so everyone can have fun, but rather having multiple charts, each fitting the song, and being fun and unique in its own right. Of course, easier charts would still be necessary, and one chart (more easy, not novice, seeing as I don't know, or know of, anyone hwo actually plays on novice) per song would suffice. You could now have two, three, perhaps even 4, 8 block charts for one song. Each being unique and original, and not being forced into a specific difficulty area. You could even take it as far as naming individual charts (although, still including foot ratings on the main screen) letting people know which chart it is. Just a thought, but less difficulty-dependency is something I've always hoped would change in the genre.

For ITG fanboys:

1) ITG is new, it has a few things DDR didn't (namely hands and mines, which are not ALL that great). It is, however, not a miracle machine. iT's good, but it has faults. Many, I might add. Stop saying its the best thing ever, because the only difference is more difficulty and the ability to look even MORE dorky bending over do hands or jumping to dodge mines (unless your one of those that uses feet for hands, but then there's really no point now is there?)

2) DDR is three years old. WE GET IT!!! One paragraph your saying "DDR is old!!! Everyones bored with it!!!" The next your going "Ha, your newb machines are being trashed across the country. Good luck finding Butterfly now!!!" Really, do you not see the irony of your two statements. DDR isn't being taken away because it sucks, it's being taken away because its old. It is, the fanboys will tell you that. But hey, guess what, it took them THREE YEARS to start getting rid of Extreme's wide spread, and there's still plenty of other machines out there. ITG has NO replayability, and will, upon the release of a new ITG or DDR be trashed to make room... just like Extreme.

3) ITGer's complain about repeats between mixes... SO WHAT!!! There's now a trend of about 8 repeats on CS versions (not counting songs in JP releases. Really, only the veterans on this board have ever played them). And guess what, sure there were plenty of repeats on Extreme AC, but how many songs were on Extreme AC? And how many on ITG? You do the frickin' math. And then, to top it all off, Roxor puts EVERY ITG song on ITG2, with another songlist, and you praise it as the best idea ever. Guess what, it is a prretty good idea, so why did you complain when Konami did it?

4) It is illegal, and a rip off. It didn't do nearly enough to earn merit as a seperate invention, or even a reinvention. It's fun, but not all that unique. Think about this: it's desig is based on Stepmania. Stepmania's design is based off of DDR. Get it? (a different interface ISN'T saving grace!)

To the DDR Fanboys:

1) ITG isn't DDR, sure. But it still is fun. It's something new to play in the stead of a long abscence of DDR. It's worth picking up, and worth the try. The new difficulty range is challenging, and some of the songs aren't that bad. Don't knock it till you try it.

2) If you embrace the UM games, embrace this. Its different, so what!

To everybody:

Stop being fanboys, its dumb.

The only thing you have to make you completely disregard ITG is if you can't get past the legality of it (a.k.a. Uiru). The only thing you have to make you completely disregard DDR is if you've AAA'ed every course and song on Heavy with Sudden, x8, and reverse on.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mynameismark
Basic Member
Basic Member

94. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I think it's ridiculous to think that some people actually have fun trying to AAA every song in DDR. It's monotonous and just plain boring. It gets to a point where you're SDGing or black flagging so many songs that it's just mainly luck as opposed to actually accomplishing something. ITG, fortunately, isn't like this. You can gradually see your progress in the form of a percentage as opposed to some crappy grade scoring system that doesn't make any damn sense.

Most of you are huge idiots, so arguing that ITG is superior to DDR is pointless seeing as you'll just shit from your mouths onto the forum again instead of actually reading and comprehending the arguments posted against DDR. That's fine with me.

But one thing I do have to say is that ITG did not "steal" anything from DDR. ITG took a game concept, improved on it, and released a new game. Sound familiar? To me it does.

Look at every genre of games. There was always a first. Wolfenstein for first person shooters. Fade To Black (or Tomb Raider, if you will) for 3rd person action/adventure games. Were they awesome games? Well, kinda. They were innovative, thats for sure. They created a new genre of games that wasn't previously thought of before.

Now, did you see id software or Eidos suing people who followed in their footsteps making new first person shooters or action games? No, you didn't. Nobody sued the makers of Unreal, and nobody is suing anybody for the countless 3rd person action games out there. Nobody. If developers always had to pay royalties simply because they went with a genre that wasn't absolutely 100% created by them, then we wouldn't have half the games out we do today.

ITG did not "steal" anything from DDR other than a game concept that they wanted to improve on. Can you honestly say that nearly every single design studio around today steals all of their ideas from previous games? Can you honestly say that the makers of Unreal or Prince of Persia should be sued into the ground simply because they expanded on one particular genre of games?

No, you can't. So please shut the hell up with this "LOL ITG STOLE DDR" crap, it's getting old.
Manifesto
Basic Member
Basic Member

95. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have to say is this:

"That's what happens when Roxor tries to make a game without using stepmania."

Oh no I didn't just go there.

:To the above poster::

People wouldn't be poopy over ITG if they made it from scratch. I'm sure the company that made Tomb Raider would sue the mother of a company that took Tomb Raider and replaced Laura with a man and called it a different game. I would respect Roxor if they even attempted to make the game from scratch but they didn.[/b]
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

96. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I checked in on this thread, it only had like ten posts in it.

And wow, did it ever blossom. And when I say blossom, I mean like how they call the measles "blossoms".

Uiru, STFU.

PedanticOmbudsman, STFU.

Both of you two need a fucking time-out.

90% of the other people that posted in this thread need a warn-slap because cartoonhero_604 is the only one that actually read my fucking post with regards to "e-mail them, don't post for them here". Luckily for you guys, one of my friends at RedOctane STARTED to read this thread, but I'm sure you've since scared him off, or at least proved to him that almost nothing actually posted here would serve as worthwhile commentary.

I'm locking this for a day or so, and I'll unlock it afterward, with the explicit warning that anyone who starts or continues a flamewar will be dealt with severely, and anyone who posts their feedback instead of e-mailing it will also get warn points for being a stupid arse.

THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT.

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

97. PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right...now...can we behave ourselves?

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
PedanticOmbudsman
Trick Member
Trick Member

98. PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize sincerely if anybody interepreted any of my previous comments as "mean" or was offended by anything I said. Although I stand by the factual content of my statements, I acknowledge that I could have phrased certain things in a slightly more diplomatic tone of voice so as to not come across as aggressive or mean-spirited. We can work together to make sure this doesn't become a flame war again. I think we're all mature adults here, and even though I admit there's a strong temptation to act otherwise when shielded by the anonymity of teh intarweb, I think we can manage to have a respectful and intelligent discussion. Maybe.

yarni wrote:
If you are so anti-Konami... Why do you come here? Why are you at DDR (Dance Dance Revolution, not In The Groove) Freak.com? why? what business do you have here?

1. Take a look at this news announcement from back in April. DDRFreak isn't just a DDR site, it's a site about music games in general and 4-panel dance games in particular. You'll note that I mostly visit the ITG and Stepmania forums on DDRFreak, since those are my interests right now. I don't visit the DDR forums at all anymore (although I do still have a few threads in them tagged from a long time back that I check up on). At this point DDRFreak is just as much an ITG site as a DDR site; it's not uncommon for ITG news to outnumber DDR news in a given month.

2. I'm not anti-DDR. I think DDR is pretty cool, and back in its day it was the best arcade dance game on the market. I still like DDR, in fact, I think it's currently the second-best arcade dance game series around right now (with Pump It Up at a close #3 because I haven't had as much time to get into it). The fact that people consider DDR to be only the second-best arcade dance game series instead of the #1 doesn't mean you need to take it as a personal attack against yourself. Different people have different opinions.

3. The fact that you like a game doesn't mean you have to worship the company that makes it.

4. Being anti-Konami doesn't make someone anti-DDR. Disagreeing with a company's business practices doesn't neccessarily mean you think they make bad products. Most educated people have problems with at least some of Microsoft's business practices, but most of them use Microsoft software anyway. Most people who have some issues with Wal-Mart still shop there. I currently don't buy Konami products because of ethical concerns, but there are Konami products that I would like to buy (such as PS2 Beatmania) if RoXor and Konami ever reach an everybody-wins settlement that I can live with, such as Konami selling to RoXoR all its arcade-dance-game-related patents and trademarks so that ITG could be the official arcade sequel to DDR. It could happen.
Kyrandian
Trick Member
Trick Member

99. PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manifesto wrote:
I would respect Roxor if they even attempted to make the game from scratch but they didn.[/b][/b]
Chris Danford and Glenn Maynard both work for Roxor, and have been the two head coders of Stepmania. As a matter of fact, Danford was the one who started the Stepmania project and created the first build. Stepmania is what it is today because of the help of many people, but ITG is one of the main reasons the project is still alive. The arcade build of Stepmania as well as many features that have gone into the game were developed specifically for ITG. So technically they did create the game from scratch.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: