Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Politely staving off rabid DDR fanboys
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
'Ivan
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Politely staving off rabid DDR fanboys Reply with quote

'Ello. At my arcade (which has both Extreme and an ITG 2 dedicated cab), I occasionally run into a group of DDR players (not a specific group of people, but these kinds of DDR players in general) that say I suck because I play the "cheap knockoff which is In the Groove".

Pretty much all of them are a bit older than me, but I can beat most of them in a DDR matchup anyways.

How do I get these sorts of people to leave me alone?

If you end up joining, put "ThreeLeafIvy" in the referrer box, will ya? E1.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
arnoct
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put itching powder in their shorts

/robodex two thousand and five
/#bemani on irc.dynastynet.net -- talk about bemani stuff.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
Alezay
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Politely staving off rabid DDR fanboys Reply with quote

'Ivan wrote:
'Ello. At my arcade (which has both Extreme and an ITG 2 dedicated cab), I occasionally run into a group of DDR players (not a specific group of people, but these kinds of DDR players in general) that say I suck because I play the "cheap knockoff which is In the Groove".

Pretty much all of them are a bit older than me, but I can beat most of them in a DDR matchup anyways.

How do I get these sorts of people to leave me alone?

Have them play a 12 or 13 that you can beat and them mash them on it and walk away...

Alezay from "THE GRP"
Toady wrote:
That guy on his knees is me, and I'm doing what I do best - worship the rooster.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Syncopation
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tell it like it is: of course it's like DDR, because In The Groove is like DDR turned up a couple of notches. It's got hands and mines, longer songs, and very challenging stepcharts.

Then of course, ask them if they've ever tried playing In The Groove, specifically, at an Expert level greater than 10 (although even the Expert 9's require extra stamina and often present a greater technical step challenge). And if they won't play... hmm... exactly what are they afraid of, why won't they try even one game of ITG?
View users profile Send private message
Zanshin
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go beat them royally in a game of DDR. Then, when you finish, say, "I got the skillz from ITG, yo!"

Talking ghetto while doing so is a personal preference though.
Xatu23456
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be an "ITG hater", but one day I decided to try the game...and I loved it love.gif So tell them they should try it before they say anything about it.

-SuperZero3 Gold-
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell them, yeah, it's a ripoff, but it's way more advanced, so why would I play that old as crap game any more?

Give me a challenge so I know what to play next time I go.

ULTIMATE HIGH SCHOOL SPRING SEASON:
Ooltewah is the UPA 2008 High School State Champion! Yay for doing something before leaving high school.
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

7. PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore them and let them live in their own little world.

And don't turn into one of them by hating on DDR.

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Paranoia_Brother
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ignore them. There is no reason to listen to them anyway... they're just being immature. You don't have to stoop down to their level. If you like ITG and DDR, then fine. It's not like someone is gonna condemn you for what you prefer.

*Formerly known as That DDR guy at Gr. Lakes*
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that happens a lot at the arcade I go to in San Francisco. There are some not so good players that only play DDR and don't even touch ITG. There was once this conference nearby so there was a lot of people in the arcade. Apparently there was this one guy that walked up to Hoodie and I while we were playing and said, "Whoo. What's this game? I just passed Max 300 so do you think I can do this?"

We were then like, "Yeah. ITG is a game like DDR with the same concept but there are some songs that are harder. They're harder because of the longer songs or the harder steps themselves. Try it."

He then put in his four tokens while we were playing and we decided to play some expert songs cause he asked us what modes there were, what the hardest ones were, so we thought it'd be best to show him. We played My Favourite Game and Xuxa expert steps and I think he was intimidated. He didn't want to play anymore.

It also happens with other people at the arcade. They'll talk BS to you about you playing ITG but when they see you at work, their chins will drop to the floor and it will stop. At least, it did for us.

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Wakka Lakka
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could point out the hypocrisy of their 'cheap knockoff' statement by pointing out that their beloved DDR is basically a grey-market Japanese import on equally questionable moral footing. If they don't believe you, wait till the screen comes up that says "This game...copyrighted music and artwork...is for sale in Japan only" then ask them what country they are in laugh.gif You might ask them if they enjoy paying the same price for 4.5 minutes of play that you pay for a minimum of 6 minutes (assuming 3 songs per play and equal tokens). You might ask why DDR is secretive about the song contents while ITG discolses the number of steps, hands, jumps, etc in a numerical format as well as providing 'fantastic' count and percent even in single song mode. Finally you could inquire why the arcade doesn't get a newer DDR machine since the copyright on Extreme says 2001(?). E7.gif I love DDR but damn I wish there was an ITG2 cabinet around my area, it's a great development for fans of dance games.
TAMAsurvivor
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about having them play a survival course like perception where you must get less than 30 excellents or lose on song 3 with a full combo and have them tell you that oni mode is so hard. I personally think that roxor has redefined the challenge mode with their survival mode. or better yet if they like their DDR speed mods like 2x or 3x. have them play speeder and try Bloodrush on 4x and sweet world on 4.5x. or attempt 70% invisble and blink on Robtix hard with a flat mod. Oni mode is a pushover and cake walk compared to survival
Staff Member
Staff Member

12. PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ES]Wakka Lakka wrote:
You could point out the hypocrisy of their 'cheap knockoff' statement by pointing out that their beloved DDR is basically a grey-market Japanese import on equally questionable moral footing.
A quasi-legal import of a legitimate game is not the same thing as an imitator, regardless of its quality.
[ES]Wakka Lakka wrote:
You might ask them if they enjoy paying the same price for 4.5 minutes of play that you pay for a minimum of 6 minutes (assuming 3 songs per play and equal tokens).
The average difference in song-length of ITG over DDR isn't 30 seconds. As a matter of fact, I think only two or three ITG songs are longer than 2 minutes. I believe most of DDR's songs hover around the 1:40 mark.

Also, most of ITG's fans are likely of sufficient skill to earn Extra Stage, thereby giving them the extra 1.5 minutes. Plus, there's Nonstops, 4 songs by default, and Onis, all of which are five songs or longer.

Next.
[ES]Wakka Lakka wrote:
You might ask why DDR is secretive about the song contents while ITG discolses the number of steps, hands, jumps, etc in a numerical format as well as providing 'fantastic' count and percent even in single song mode.
You have a point about the Marvelous/Fantastic issue, but please. Secretive? You need to know that badly? It's not that hard to figure out.
[ES]Wakka Lakka wrote:
Finally you could inquire why the arcade doesn't get a newer DDR machine since the copyright on Extreme says 2001(?).
2002, and it was at the very end of December, so it may as well have been 2003.

Engaging in intelligent debate is one thing, but it's not intelligent if you can't get your facts straight.

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
'Ivan
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutriss wrote:
Ignore them and let them live in their own little world.

And don't turn into one of them by hating on DDR.

I don't hate DDR. I still play DDR occasionally in fact, just to get the chance to play awesome stuff like So Deep, the Paranoias, and the Maxes.
[ES]Wakka Lakka wrote:
You could point out the hypocrisy of their 'cheap knockoff' statement by pointing out that their beloved DDR is basically a grey-market Japanese import on equally questionable moral footing. If they don't believe you, wait till the screen comes up that says "This game...copyrighted music and artwork...is for sale in Japan only" then ask them what country they are in

I might try that.

If you end up joining, put "ThreeLeafIvy" in the referrer box, will ya? E1.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wakka Lakka
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutriss wrote:
A quasi-legal import of a legitimate game is not the same thing as an imitator, regardless of its quality.

There is still the legal warning that it is only for sale in Japan. The warning is primarily due to liscensing of the music. The hypothetical 'fanboys' argument that ITG is less legitimate than DDR is on weak ground. At least the artists in ITG retain control over the distribution of their work.

Cutriss wrote:
As a matter of fact, I think only two or three ITG songs are longer than 2 minutes.

Of the 71 songs I have listed for ITG 22 are under 2:00 and 49 are 2:00 or over. The shortest is 1:48 (Kiss Me Red & Oasis). The longest song I have listed for extreme is Colors which is 1:51 (althouth Kakumei is close) To be fair you did say 'I think' sort of like how I put the (?) after 2001. My point with that was, dates aside, despite the long success of DDR, ITG is the only franchise that has the shiny new machine. Even rabid DDR fans are annoyed with the lack of a new US arcade release.

Cutriss wrote:
Also, most of ITG's fans are likely of sufficient skill to earn Extra Stage...
Which means they also have probably played every song in Extreme more than a few times.

I doubt there would be any engaging in 'intelligent debate' with the 'fanboys' but it probably wouldnt be too hard to at least get them to try ITG2.
Hands R' Us
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of making fun of DDR fans, why don't you show them what ITG is all about and have them try it out. Before you know it, they'll get hooked on ITG in no time!
Diaclonex
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ES]Wakka Lakka wrote:

The longest song I have listed for extreme is Colors which is 1:51 (althouth Kakumei is close)

uhm, "A" is 2:09 and "Happy Wedding" is 2:08. "Abyss" is 1:58
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Rancidfish
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, when attempting to "convert" DDR fans to ITG, I've had good luck with Marathon Mode. I had a guy who was playing 8s and 9s on DDR play Hardcore Galore on normal, and he had a lot of fun. Before that, he was initially fairly reluctant about ITG, saying he "didn't like the songs." His friends who were watching tried too, and one of them really like PA theme. He played on medium, because he was only playing up to 5s or so on DDR.

If people still use the "it's a knockoff" debate, ask them if they've played any fighting games, and if so, which ones. If they mention anything that wasn't made by Capcom, say "Why? It's just a knockoff of Street Fighter," and the go play some more ITG. (If they only mention Capcom fighters, make up something about them being a ripoff of Double Dragon to make slightly different, but still believable, point.) If they don't get the message and continue to disrespect you for playing a "knockoff," just ignore them. They're stupid and don't matter anyway.

Anyway, I'd actually call In the Groove a cheap knockoff of DDR... but that doesn't make it not fun. In the Groove 2, though... there's obviously a lot more effort into making a game that feels professional, there. It's still a knockoff, but I wouldn't call it cheap. It's an awesome knockoff.
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longest songs on In The Groove 1 are as follows:

Training (Dj Party Long Version) - 3:59
Turn It On - 2:11
Fly Away - 2:11
Hardcore of the North - 2:10

| Pics | Play-Asia |
VxJasonxV
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

19. PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diaclonex wrote:
[ES]Wakka Lakka wrote:

The longest song I have listed for extreme is Colors which is 1:51 (althouth Kakumei is close)

uhm, "A" is 2:09 and "Happy Wedding" is 2:08. "Abyss" is 1:58
IIDX songs in DDR are cut by about 15-25 seconds, not counting the new crossovers in the ultramix series.

Amusing Pictures: lolddrfreak | Road of LoQ
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Xbox Live Gamertag
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: