Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

How do you pronounce "Machinae"
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paranoia_Brother
Trick Member
Trick Member

20. PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ma-Chee-Nay

Whenever you have "ae" together, you say "A"

nerd.gif

*Formerly known as That DDR guy at Gr. Lakes*
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Reenee
Trick Member
Trick Member

21. PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you say Œ.

mah-ki-nay
View users profile Send private message
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

22. PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, which was already established. ;D

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
ancsik
Trick Member
Trick Member

23. PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ma-keen-ai

I treat it as a Latin word, so 'ae' is an 'ai' sound (like the word 'I,' in case you're still confused)... I forgot how ch was dealt with in Latin (I don't remember ever having c make anything other than a 'k' sound though).

Also acceptable is mack-a-hack-a-sheena-hay
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
BlueScreenJunky
Trick Member
Trick Member

24. PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rancidfish wrote:
Ma-kee-nah-ey. To me, it's a four-syllable word.

Yeah, same here.

ancsik wrote:
Ma-keen-ai
I treat it as a Latin word, so 'ae' is an 'ai' sound (like the word 'I,' in case you're still confused)... I forgot how ch was dealt with in Latin (I don't remember ever having c make anything other than a 'k' sound though).

Well, when I learnt Latin a few years back, "ae" (2 separate letters, not a 'diphtongue') was pronounced "a-eh" :
Rosa (nominative singular) -> Ross-a
Rosae (nominative plural) -> Ross-a-eh

So Machinae (which is the plural of Machina) would be pronounced Ma-keen-ah-eh.

Now my understanding is that noone really knows how Latin was supposed to be pronounced, and the way we pronounce it may vary from one country to another..
And no matter how you pronounce it, Machinae supremacy rocks ^^ glad I discovered them thanx to ITG. Plus you can download most of their work for free and in excellent quality : http://www.machinaesupremacy.com/downloads.htm
antimony
Trick Member
Trick Member

25. PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I will be a latin geek:

The "ae" at the end of "machinae" (the plural of the latin word "machina", which comes from the greek "mechane") is a dipthong, and "mah-keen-ai" is basically correct.

The letter combination "ch" generally only appears in latin in words brought over from greek -- it replaces the greek letter chi, which is pronounced like the "ckh" if you run the words "brick house" together. English doesn't have a special letter for this sound -- the aspiration (or lack thereof) of the letter k in english depends on the letters that follow it.

As for how "we" know this -- there are a lot of ways we can figure out the original pronunciations of latin/greek letters and words . These range from seeing what the words did in various languages that descended from Latin/Greek, to occasional documents that actually describe pronunciation, to seeing what sort of spelling errors the ancients made in those words themselves! There *is* a difference between "church latin" and "classical latin" on many of these pronunciations -- church latin reflects a much later period, and some pronunciations had shifted. Everything I've said above is for classical latin -- I've never studied the later periods.
Xayro
Trick Member
Trick Member

26. PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pronounce it Ma-kin-uh.

Thats how its is SUPPOSED to be pronounced.
The band calls it machine.

- Machinae Supremacy fan forever -
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
gameboyguy13
Trick Member
Trick Member

27. PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, about the ae-æ thing- the two letters combined is called a ligature. Several other letter combinations do that, but ae and oe are most common. As for pronunciation of a ligature, that varies from language to language. In Greek and Latin, I think that you pronounce it a certain way.

As far as synæsthesia, yes, that's one spelling, and another is synesthesia. Kind of like anæsthesia, in fact, any æsthesia word. People just don't use the ligatures much in words any more. I mean, look at œsophagus... or encyclopædia...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr_Blasty
Trick Member
Trick Member

28. PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mahck-ih-nay
BAG=A (BAG AA with 1.5 speed mod)
SAKURA=A
Paranoia Survivor=C
Paranoia Survivor MAX=D
The Legend of Max=C
View users profile Send private message Xbox Live Gamertag
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: