Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Konami Japan officially recognizes success of DDR in US
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

0. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject: Konami Japan officially recognizes success of DDR in US Reply with quote

Konami of Japan has posted an official transcript of their most recent quarterly earnings reports webcast Q&A session on their website. The transcript is broken down by division, but DDR is mentioned several times in the discussion. Not only does the transcript discuss DDR's success in the US, but it points out that Ultramix 2 represents a sizeable amount of the total Xbox sales in 2004.

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
suepahfly91
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does that mean they might make some more home mixes, or stick with ITG? biggrin.gif
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

2. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suepahfly91 wrote:
does that mean they might make some more home mixes, or stick with ITG? biggrin.gif
How exactly would Konami "stick with ITG"?

View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
MAAAX_himself
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutriss wrote:
suepahfly91 wrote:

Three words RED OC-TANE. thumb.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

4. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do either of you plan to start making sense soon?

Wolfman Jake
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*attempts to make some sense for the sake of Cutriss' mind*

I hope this means that Konami (and more specifically KCET) will take the US PS2 DDR mixes much more seriously and listen to some critical analysis of their games from both casual fans and the long-time hardcore fans in order to make a fantastic mix for the US. My fear is that this news will make them believe that they can shell out more of the same halfassed attempts for US DDR and get away with it.
Danceatron
Trick Member
Trick Member

Location: Opinions expressed by ads in this avatar do not represent the views of Danceatron or his affiliates.
6. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they mean:
"Does Konami think the US market is strong enough to warrant new/unique releases, or will they just let ITG own the market for dance games in the US?"
Catastrophe
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: ddrfreak make stupid? Reply with quote

Okay, here's why I'm confused. Konami just issued a second press release that specifically praises the sales of DDR in North America. However, this one also specifically mentions Ultramix 2 - to their investors in Japan. Also, they say that "We will continue to make efforts to grow our music simulation game business in the global markets."

So basically, DDR is the most successful invention since the light bulb.
This apparently raises two questions from ddrfreak:
1) Why does the game suck so much?
2) Will they even make another one?

WTF?! E19.gif

EDIT: Removed a sentence that sounded really mean. And when I say "WTF!?", I'm really not trying to be an assshole. This almost comical. See my post in the UM2 thread.

Last edited by Catastrophe on Wed May 04, 2005 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message
Dancing Dan
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: ddrfreak make stupid? Reply with quote

Catastrophe wrote:
(Do people think that ITG is made by Konami? Or does anyone think that RO is owned by Konami?)

I believe they are referring to the fact that they think ITG is much better than DDR atm and are wondering if Konami has given up because RO made such a good game.

This sounds very interesting. Wish i could read EVERY part of it tho. Btw does this possibly have anything to do with a new arcade mix?
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: ddrfreak make stupid? Reply with quote

Dancing Dan wrote:
Btw does this possibly have anything to do with a new arcade mix?

They CAN'T make them anymore, unless a third party publishes it.
View users profile Send private message
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

10. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: ddrfreak make stupid? Reply with quote

Dancing Dan wrote:
This sounds very interesting. Wish i could read EVERY part of it tho.
Isn't that why I linked to the full Q&A above?
[HENTAI] Reenee wrote:
They CAN'T make them anymore, unless a third party publishes it.
And why is that exactly?

Melvis at the Disco!
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

11. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sales in the last fiscal year ended March 31, 2004 were only 500,000 copies, but during the nine months ended December 31, 2004, sales grew significantly to more than 1,300,000 copies. We think this sales increase is due to promotional activities by Konami Digital Entertainment (KONAMI's U.S. subsidiary), which has made this product recognized as an interesting game as well as a game good for diets.

Promotional activities? Like WHAT?!?

I can count every DDR promotional thing they did on one hand in 2004. E3, Loews Theatres tour, Comic-Con, 1 TV commercial...

IMO, DDR/Konami lucks out on the fact that there's a lot of sites that do the promotion FOR them. Where's our world championship tourney? *heh*
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

12. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinner Mr. Wendell wrote:
I can count every DDR promotional thing they did on one hand in 2004. E3, Loews Theatres tour, Comic-Con, 1 TV commercial...
I think they're trying to count stuff like this. Which is nice, of course, but it does nothing to promote mindshare - only one-time sales.

Mio
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I ask is one more GOOD arcade mix before they stop. Extreme 2, please????

After that, make any home consoles, w/e. I just want one more arcade mix and I'm content.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dark Fish
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new arcade mix with just about every DDR song ever made and several new ones would be excellent. Paranoia Rebirth and Max.Period would be fun to play in the arcade.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
tekkie
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Fish wrote:
A new arcade mix with just about every DDR song ever made and several new ones would be excellent. Paranoia Rebirth and Max.Period would be fun to play in the arcade.

Paranoia Rebirth is on Extreme...

But yeah hopefully this turns into something good.

Commence getting hopes up.
Staff Member
Staff Member

16. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tekkie wrote:
Paranoia Rebirth is on Extreme...
Probably meant Respect.

Wolfman Jake
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: ddrfreak make stupid? Reply with quote

Catastrophe wrote:
1) Why does the game suck so much?

They don't suck so much that DDR in the US isn't a big enough commercial success for Konami to make press releases such as this. Face it, everyone. No matter how much you think it isn't so, we represent a very small portion of the DDR players in North America. The difficulty level of the US mixes suits the vast majority of people who play DDR, the people who haven't become jaded and have totally lost perspective on the difficulty factor in the game because they can now AA/AAA every 10 foot song out there, the people who still play the game for fun or exercise, etc.
Saotome2U
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he probably meant PARANOiA -Respect-. As for MAX.(period)?...hm...though I despise the song with a passion, I'll admit that it'd be interesting actually watching someone pull the song off on Heavy with an A or more....but anyway...

This is interesting news. Cutriss, I'm curious to know why you somewhat rebut Reenee's claim that a new arcade DDR can't be made unless a 3rd party publishes it. This is true for the US and not JP, I know. Maybe that's what was meant.

My thing is, from everything that has been said about DDR is dead/dying, or that another arcade mix is not being made, people need to remember that Konami made no claims to stop making the game for home or the 'cade. They just said they were taking a break from it. Since they're impressed with the growing popularity and the success from UM2, then to me, it makes since to keep the train going, despite the coming "competition" -- if you wanna call it that.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
t3h 3d
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAAAX_HIMSELF wrote:
Cutriss wrote:
suepahfly91 wrote:

Three words RED OC-TANE. thumb.gif

Redoctane is one word .

I'm not worried about anything konami says until they announce a new arcade mix. Which accually made this post pointless erm.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: