Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Improving your DDR skills
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 53, 54, 55  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevontay
Trick Member
Trick Member

1060. PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe what we see Damien doing at the end of Uber rave is called "Future". Flat foot and heel toe are different, but yeah. Heel toe is my favorite.
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
PJ POWER
Basic Member
Basic Member

1061. PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm a toe guy E1.gif i tried to flat foot but it's hard after playing so long on toes, what about spins? like after i do a spin i get off balance or i step on the wrong arrow, any suggestions? besides practice practice practice lol
View users profile Send private message
DarthWhammy(Angelic Mix)
Trick Member
Trick Member

1062. PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a toe person too. But after a while, you get foot cramps...I can do flat foot, but most of my favorite songs are too fast for me to do so...

Tim! wrote:
DarthWhammy: NOT Naoki

Holy freakin crap, DarthWhammy has Gary Oldman in her avatar!
PJ POWER
Basic Member
Basic Member

1063. PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long do you play for cuz i don't get foot cramps
Agent
Trick Member
Trick Member

1064. PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would all depend on his feet, really. I have genetic foot, knee, and back problems and due to it my feet hurt for a long time when I played ITG and DDR. My feet don't hurt as much now, probably just due to the mat I'm using as my old one was much stiffer. I also started flat footing, and it makes fast arrows much easier for me. Sometimes my feet do cramp, though. I'll bend them the wrong way and they'll kind of pinch so I can't move them and have to force them back with my hands.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenchi50
Trick Member
Trick Member

1065. PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant PA Max 300 unless I flatfoot.

And konami triplets piss me off
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

1066. PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop stepping early and quicker than the song chart needs.

also, stop stepping hard.

keep those in mind, and you will increase both PA and endurance.
Moonbeam Funk
Trick Member
Trick Member

1067. PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to do some hardcore PA work, but my endurance is doggy'. Suggestions?

I read my arrows mid-screen. Should I read at the top so I can PA better?

by far,
a humble heart
beats a full stomach
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
DarthWhammy(Angelic Mix)
Trick Member
Trick Member

1068. PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try PAing easy songs first. Then work your way up to the hard ones.

Tim! wrote:
DarthWhammy: NOT Naoki

Holy freakin crap, DarthWhammy has Gary Oldman in her avatar!
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

1069. PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAing is as much an art as it is a science.

Try this:

Dark, flat.
The Supervisor
Trick Member
Trick Member

1070. PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can quad star 7s and 8s, get under 10 ex on 9s and 10s, but it's just not enough. For as long as I have been playing (over 3 years), I should be ablet to quad star 10s and double star 12s and 13s....and on DDR I can still barely pass PSMO =\. Me and mdawg have been playing about = as long, and here is a video of me and him. (he's on the left, me on the right)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XyKArIOY_pI

Shouldn't I be something like that by now? Just....how can I improve at this point?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Tyrgannus
Trick Member
Trick Member

1071. PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legendary N8 wrote:
also, stop stepping hard.

That is only one of the PA tactics, more of an endurance tactic really. Some of the top players step pretty loudly to better keep the rhythm in their head. That being, some are extremely quiet. Both styles have gotten high 99's on 12's.
Stumbleine
Basic Member
Basic Member

1072. PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse wrote:
Myojin Yahiko wrote:
I also have a problem with fast steps more like3 or more in a line *i.e dead end* So what can I do for that?

use your heel. it's easier and less tiresome to move your heel quickly rather than your toe.

I have really big feet so when I try and use my heel I miss the arrow sometimes.
Stumbleine
Basic Member
Basic Member

1073. PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the best way to improve stamina. Because the only reason I can't beat Max 300 (Super-Max-Me-Mix) on challenge is because I get super tired about half way through.
jq1790
Trick Member
Trick Member

1074. PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stumbleine wrote:
What is the best way to improve stamina. Because the only reason I can't beat Max 300 (Super-Max-Me-Mix) on challenge is because I get super tired about half way through.

Examine your current stamina level. What's the cutoff point for songs being easy(IE, what's the hardest song you can beat without much stamina loss, if any?), and what's the hardest, most draining song you've passed before? Play a set or two starting with the easiest one, and work up to the hardest one. Don't play TOO many in-between songs, however, or you won't be able to play the last one at full potential. Keep playing sets like this, and you should eventually see your stamina going up. Also, that "easiest" one should, over time, change as your stamina goes up, also you'll be using more energy(Though noticing it less than before), building MORE stamina... It goes in a cycle like that, making your abilities go up that much more easily.

What I don't recommend is going on a "burnout" run, doing intensely hard stuff until you can't anymore. That'll give you less playtime, and if you're playing DDR, you want to play MANY songs, right? However, don't play too many easy songs, or their low, but still there, stamina drain will wear you out, bu in a different way than the stamina you seek. I'm not sure, but I feel that there're two linds of stamina. Endurance, and One-Shot(Need a better title for that one...) Endurance affects how many sngs you can play before your performance suffers, while One-Shot is basically how
well you can handle songs on their own.

Building 1Shot requires harder songs (Though start easier and work UP so that your body can get revved up.), Endurance requires somewhat easier ones. (IE lower end tough ones. Playing a bunch of 4 footers in a row likely won't get you your results you'd want on that front, hehe.).

In a nutshell: Practice. It's the golden rule for improving at almost anything, and DDR is no exception.
MaxxOverload
Trick Member
Trick Member

1075. PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those all sound very good, practicing is the most important element that can make you better. What made me much better was trying to keep my legs very loose and not tight, because from what I have learned, keeping your legs loose can help you nail cross-overs easier, and you can move your legs faster that way.
Xanthros
Trick Member
Trick Member

1076. PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest the only way that I think you can improve DDR stamina is to play more. Maybe crazy short sprints or just jackhammering your legs would help, but I know that DDR stamina has pretty much NOTHING to do with running or biking stamina. Back when I ran cross country and track I was struggling to pass hard 9s, Cartoon Heroes and Captain Jack just killed me. I haven't run in a couple years and I am certainly in worse shape, but I can no bar quite a few 11s now. And I do recommend stretching before playing DDR if you're going to be doing 9s and up seriously.
Senefelder
Basic Member
Basic Member

1077. PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm newbie here! E1.gif

Well, you've been talking about your steps..

It's true that you need to have some warm up, if you want to play hard

I usually warm up by "healing vision" heavy, it's truly help me to prevent my feet from crams!
But though, it's up to you, choose the easy one, but not slow for yourself
You won;t get that crams

OT: I've been playing this since Oct last year, n now I am trying for MAX 300 Heavy, God! Like You, half way passed riiight.gif
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

1078. PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find the author of what is for me right now (2 weeks into playing) but the best advice I've read so far is to read the arrows, like from the bottom or the middle to see what's coming and where.

I'm really trying to train myself to not just stare at the top and try to hit the arrows when they get there, but to try to read mid-way. Got my first AA (on beginner) on Tsugaru today doing that. So, thank you so much to the person who posted that advice!

Stamina ... I'm working on it! I can't always play when I want or as long as I want (roomie loathes ddr and she's right under me, yay?), but I'm trying to do at least an hour in training mode, then depending on which game, either 3 3 song game mode or 2 5 song game mode. Stamina is a biggie and that seems to be helping me.

Crossovers? EEEEEP, I totally get messed up with those, so that's something I need to work on seriously, that and NOT going back to the middle of the pad. I end up not knowing where I am on the darn pad and wonder why I'm getting "boo" and "almost" until I look down and see that I'm like 2 inches away from where I should be E15.gif

Lastly, how do I stop picking my feet up too much. I know I do, I think it's a throwback to aerobics, especially on some of the faster songs (Butterfly Upswing, that crazy wonderful Beethoven song for instance). I instinctively want to like, hop and stuff and end up picking my feet up too much. Definitely does not work - tried Tsugaru on basic (training mode) and things like LF or RB at the same time trip me up completely. Which they probably would anyway, but ... I feel like I'm making it even harder on myself.

So keeping my feet very low so I can hit the arrows faster AND finding a way to know where I am on the pad without constantly moving back to the middle (I'm such a noob, I know) after 3 weeks now seem to be my 2 biggest challenges.

I don't feel like I'm going to progress further than beginner unless I figure those 2 things out.
jesusfr3ak4evr
Trick Member
Trick Member

1079. PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xanthros wrote:
To be honest the only way that I think you can improve DDR stamina is to play more. Maybe crazy short sprints or just jackhammering your legs would help, but I know that DDR stamina has pretty much NOTHING to do with running or biking stamina. Back when I ran cross country and track I was struggling to pass hard 9s, Cartoon Heroes and Captain Jack just killed me. I haven't run in a couple years and I am certainly in worse shape, but I can no bar quite a few 11s now. And I do recommend stretching before playing DDR if you're going to be doing 9s and up seriously.
I disagree, but you won't see the effects of running unless you're playing songs such as Welcome to Rainbow, Heaven, Monotone, or any song with over 1000 steps. I started running this semester, and it has helped me to the point where I am just about to pass some 13 foot songs. I run the mile in 5:39 currently, I did 7 miles in 60 mins, and I did 4 miles in 30 mins. I've passed every 12 except Bloodrush, and I have passed many custom 11 and 12's.

Accuracy >= Technique > stamina

Oh wait, this is DDRFreak, not ITGFreak E13.gif So yeah, you don't need to run for any DDR song. It's all accuracy, and you can prettymuch at least AA any song with mediocre technique.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 54 of 55

Jump to: