Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Improving your DDR skills
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Toy
Staff Member
Staff Member

0. PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Improving your DDR skills Reply with quote

I progressed pretty slowly in comparison to a lot of people on this site, but in the process of learning, I've picked up a few good tips that I can pass along. They might not be comprehensive, but I hope that hey will be helpful.

Practice, practice, and practice some more. I know, I know, the 15 other people you've talked to already told you to do that. Let me get a little more specific for you.

I'm a big believer in learning to read the arrows rather than learning to memorize songs. If you learn to read the arrows, chances are you can play any song of X difficulty, rather than being able to play 5 catastrophics in a row but not being able to play a few less common songs that are only 7 feet.

Find your weak spots and try to tailor your practice around that. Do you have difficulty with songs that require you to jump a lot? Do you not like to skip or gallop? Are fast songs difficult? Is your stamina keeping you from passing songs?

Play with other people. Make friends. The more people you know and like, the more likely you are to play. Extra playtime means extra practice, which is good for you. Of course, when you play with other people, you are bound to play songs that you normally would not choose for yourself, which will allow you to get used to reading the arrows.

If the person you are playing with is better than you, they can pass songs for you. You will also probably see the way that your partner turns his/her body, which you will pick up, if you see it enough. If they are a very good scorer, you might even pay attention to the way that their feet sound while they play. This will help you get the rythym of some of the songs with tricky beats like Dynamite Rave or Hypnotic Crisis.

If the person that you play with is not as good as you, this allows you to practice perfect attack/score attack/freestyle. Everyone wins. Of course, if the person you are playing with is at the same level as you are, you've got a challenge ahead of you without making an extra one.

Play solo mode. If you can find it, six panel DDR is great for practicng, because once you learn to read six panels, four panels is easy. Buy Konamix- it has solo mode.

Shuffle your favorite songs. You'll know when to step, but you won't know where. This keeps you on your toes and allows you to practice reading the arrows rather than memorizing the songs.

Use assist mode in the home version of DDR and get the soundtracks if you can. When you know the music, the songs become much easier. Assist mode is an option in the home versions of DDR that will "clap" when you are supposed to step, allowing you to be familiar with the stepping sequences in a song so that when you're actually on the machine, you know when to step, and just need to know where to step.

Watch other people play. Watch the way that they turn their bodies, especially for songs like Kick the Can, Holic, Dead End, or Afronova. Being able to turn your body will allow you to pass a lot of songs that you would have a really hard time if you just slide.

Play double. I started playing double because I got stuck at a plateau between 7s, 8s and Catastrophics. Playing double allows you a lot of freedom and helps your reading skills. Just aswhen you play solo, going back to four panels is a lot easier after you can play double.

Don't be afraid to fail. For your last song, play a song that you can almost pass. Play a song that you can't pass at all. Play a song that you've never played before, or on a mode that you've never played before. Some of the songs that you know you can pass can get pretty hard if they are on hidden or sudden. If you don't challenge yourself, you won't improve.

Above all, don't get discouraged. Everyone starts somewhere, and everyone moves at their own pace. DDR is about having fun. If you're not having fun anymore, it's time to take a rest. E13.gif

I'm sure people will have things to add that I haven't thought of, and I'd welcome the input.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website
MyojinYahiko of TGL
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....... seeing How I can pass almost all cata's except a few. And I can pass any other song with no problem the one problem remains no matter How much I practice and even when I practice on assist mode My PA skills just totally suck. I can rarely get at least 80% perfects. so I was wondring besides Assis mode is there any other way to help me build my Pa skills? E19.gif
I also have a problem with fast steps more like3 or more in a line *i.e dead end* So what can I do for that?
kuchini
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i did to get good the first time i played was try Afronova on mainax over and over (really trying) the hard way without turning your body then i could beat every thing in 2 weeks

<Edit 1> Yes people thought i was stupid saying that I could beat Afronova in two weeks after i started really playing blink.gif but it took me awhile to beat it in the arcades now the song is a joke. E7.gif
rublind
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long have u been playing, i have trouble with songs which u probably have no trouble with is there ne thing beside assist mode that cn help read the arrows and things like that????? please let me know asap
kuchini
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been playing for a bit over 4 months now that was back in jan.
ddrhomepad
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My contribution to this great thread is to learn how to alternate your feet. Which means sometimes your right foot hits the left arrow and your left foot will hit the right arrow. Example LDR is left foot, right foot, left foot. Once you learn how to alternate your feet, doubles becomes alot easier. Also learn how to do slides, listen to the beat and most of all, just have fun.
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a possibility you could mirror the thread to Newcomer/Novice/Intermediate as well? E1.gif

One thing that's helping me right now is going into practice mode, and lowering the speed down a notch on tough songs. I did that so I could learn the patterns of arrows and the speed they come at, and also how to position myself. laugh.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suffer from Controller-itis riiight.gif
I can pass every song (on maniac and double and stuff) with the fingerpad , but when it comes to the actual stepping , I fail biggrin.gif

maybe coz i'm trying to pass Dead End Maniac laugh.gif

I can do all Trick / Basic songs, but when it comes to Maniac , I fail .. -_-

except those slow songs E15.gif

any advice? o_o;;;
(EVEN THOUGH NONE OF THESE SONGS ARE ON DDRMAX, I figure it'd be good practice for when I get there E10.gif)

EDIT EDIT: Maybe this is a sign, saying I should become a freestyler! laugh.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Mouse
Staff Member
Staff Member

8. PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myojin Yahiko wrote:
I also have a problem with fast steps more like3 or more in a line *i.e dead end* So what can I do for that?

use your heel. it's easier and less tiresome to move your heel quickly rather than your toe.
Basic Member
Basic Member

9. PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improving your skills is a choice of improving your PA's! Try concentrating in getting more perfects instead of clearing songs (except max300) also try to do like ballet dancers, play in the tip of your toes, you can gain more flexibility and move faster!@!@
stomping is slow and not fast!!!
ah~ am I being too weird? E19.gif E19.gif
Puc |L©|
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vix wrote:
Improving your skills is a choice of improving your PA's! Try concentrating in getting more perfects instead of clearing songs (except max300) also try to do like ballet dancers, play in the tip of your toes, you can gain more flexibility and move faster!@!@
stomping is slow and not fast!!!
ah~ am I being too weird? E19.gif E19.gif

I don't know about that... I always play on my toes. However, when I PA I use the entire sole of my foot. Using the entire foot technique and moving my body as little as possible has helped me improve my PA scores (eventhough they're still mediocre frown.gif ). Basically, look at what other people are doing as far as foot work, leg movement technique, etc. and try out different things... just find out what works best for you.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Vix
Basic Member
Basic Member

11. PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think people can also improve their PAs by playing challenge mode!! E15.gif
hint: start playing basic songs first and try PA them as much as you can
second move higher and higher!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
TStodden
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse - The Grunge Faerie wrote:
Myojin Yahiko wrote:

use your heel. it's easier and less tiresome to move your heel quickly rather than your toe.

I suggest using the balm of your foot (pretend wearing high heels) instead of your heel. When I first tried DDR (back in January), I was mainly using my heels & feet started aching just after 2 songs! Since I've stopped using my heels for the majority of steps, I can go for hours without stopping to give my feet a break (the rest of my body is another story) & you'll be lighter in your steps as well which means less exertion on your feet.

This is from personal experience.
Basic Member
Basic Member

13. PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch blink.gif
Fiendkuja
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do fast songs, do them often. hehe. you'd be shocked how repeating dam daridam on maniac and captain jack on trick helped out my ability to do catas easier.
Fiendkuja
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another rule of mine.

If you aren't half-dead when you leave, you shouldn't be leaving yet. My friends will attest, when I play DDR, I play hard.
MyNameIsMoo
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(3rd mix asian)
I go for 6-8 hour sessions of DDR, with a 30 minute break... after my 30 minute break, I do Luv2Me trick, then a REALLY hard song, such as Captain Jack Trick, Paranoia trick, or something...
Then, I go into SSR and do the song I'm currently working on, Do it all night.

Of course, I've just spent 1.00 in 7 minutes, but oh well.

I do play with my heels sometimes... the very back of my shoe, the corner
On fast half-step combos, like DDD, I use my heel. On fast combos spread about the pad, I use my toes. For on the beat combos, I use my whole foot. Sometimes, on songs I can perfect combo, I'll try to move as little as possible, by putting my right foot on between down and right, and the left between left and up. Then, to hit one, I'll move my foot maybe an inch in the right direction. I can pass almost every 6 foot I've tried, and alot of 7 foot songs. I'm working on those cata's!

EDIT: Alot of the time when I leave, I'm very close to passing out.... one time I actually had someone follow me to make sure I did NOT pass out (Hadnt had food for the 8 hours I was playing DDR)
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
TiVotj
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyNameIsMoo wrote:
(3rd mix asian)
I go into SSR

Is it possible to do some normal then switch to SSR in the middle of a game? Or if I want to do two 3rd Mix songs then a 2nd? (3rd Asian also)
View users profile Send private message
Puc |L©|
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no... you have to switch over to SSR mode before you even start your game. same to switch over to 2nd mix.

EDIT: that means all SSR songs, or all regular songs, or all 2nd mix songs.

... too lazy to tell you how to do it, but it's in the machine FAQ's.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Dynamite2U
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Improving your DDR skills Reply with quote

Your Ideas are Very good and i have problem with anything except two songs that really confuse me frown.gif . On Afronova Expert right when all the half-steps come in i know wut to press its just that its to fast how the hell do i do it? And also Dynamite Rave Expert when do i know when to push all those steps?
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 1 of 55

Jump to: