Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Best PS2 Game?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duffman0
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Best PS2 Game? Reply with quote

Hey I'm in the market for a DDR game for the ps2, I already have extreme but I don't like the layout, so Im wondering, whats the best PS2 DDR game?

and I searched for this type of thread and nothing came up...
View users profile Send private message
Ineffable
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like DDRX and SN2.
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really depends on you, what kind of music, any particular songs .. these are all PS2 in order of most loved/played to most disliked/hardly play at all:

Max2,
Max,
Extreme
Extreme2 - I like the "freeplay mode on that, you just keep going til you fail. Makes a nice workout but you still get to pick the songs, mods, etc.

The timing in Max in particular is imho harder, scoring is harder on Max and Max 2 - again, just my opinion. I actually now LIKE that, it pushes me. Also the music in the older mixes is just a lot more "me".

SN2 was my first DDR for PS2 and it's got a few bad songs, but a nice selection overall - the scoring is way weird. Still can't pass Arrabiatta on anything but easy, that song's deranged, though I did pass Bag on standard. So go figure. Decent mix of songs.

X I really like, liked it better before I started playing more ITG. The arrows on X are almost transparent compared to older games, makes them hard to read. But PS2 finally got mixes on X which is nice. Scoring is still a little "off", like I've AAA'd songs with a bit less than a perfect score. Theme is kind of "urban", the MC's (there's 2) need their mouths duct-taped shut.

SN - I have, it sits collecting dust. I don't hate it but I sure don't love it. I really don't want to do DDR to Fall Out Boys or Franz Ferdinand, ugh. To me SN is kind of the "rock" DDR, so I guess it's just not my taste.
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yukihime wrote:
The timing in Max in particular is imho harder, scoring is harder on Max and Max 2 - again, just my opinion.

This also reflects my experience as I would type that AAAing songs is tougher on those games than on newer ones although it may depend on the person, circumstances, and controller.

yukihime wrote:
SN2 was my first DDR for PS2 and it's got a few bad songs, but a nice selection overall - the scoring is way weird.
Scoring is still a little "off", like I've AAA'd songs with a bit less than a perfect score.

SuperNOVA 2 was also my first Dance Dance Revolution game, and is basically what started me on regular play. I think the reason they made the scoring more lenient about AAA's is to encourage less experienced players -- it does make sense considering they ditched the rule about how full combos are required to score AA's in the EXTREME's. X furthers this by distinguishing AAA's with greats from full perfect combo AAA's. I suppose a truly perfect score is really a "marvelous" score, which is supposedly superior to a "perfect" score sarc.gif

If you ask me, I would type that SuperNOVA 2, X, and EXTREME 2 are the best quality -- EXTREME 2 being my personal favorite. The Max's lack special features such as master modes, but that may not mean anything to some people. EXTREME is the worst quality and SuperNOVA took a few steps back from EXTREME 2 in terms of quality. The music and interface are all a matter of preference. I have obtained all seven Playstation 2 Dance Dance Revolution games as a result of listening to their song lists on youtube (I hope that is not illegal or unethical in any way). Would you also count/consider In The Groove and Pump It Up (perhaps not the latter) for your selection, or are you particularly interested in Dance Dance Revolution games only? If not, In The Groove has a better scoring system if you ask me.

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my preferences:

DDR Max
DDR Max 2
In the Groove

those three are all tied for my top favorite

DDR Extreme 2
DDR SuperNova

after that I gave up on buying home version DDRs. I refuse to play crappy missions on beginner mode for an hour just to unlock songs that SHOULD be given to me since I paid for this damn game.

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Orthonormal
Basic Member
Basic Member

5. PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max is my least favorite because of the interface. It's very difficult to play a bunch of random songs rapidly one after another. All of the later DDR games have a way to do that.

I dislike Supernova 2 because there are just too many teenybopper-pretending-to-be-slutty songs. If you are a 12 year old girl, maybe those are fun to dance to. There are a few really good songs.

Favorite to least favorite:
Extreme2 and Supernova.
Extreme
Max2
Supernova2
Max
Nemoide
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Max and Max 2 because I get nostalgic about "the early days" when I was playing at a friends house as my only source of DDR.

X is a strange one, IMO. Maybe I just haven't warmed up to it but it doesn't feel "right" to me for reasons I have trouble putting my finger on. I think most of it is the fact that it has the most annoying announcer I've ever heard and he NEVER SHUTS UP. Even if you turn off the announcer in options, he still blurts out inspid things like "hot track comin' through -- hot-hot track comin' through" and "this ain't b-ball but that was a niiice piiiiick" on the song selection menu. Once when menu appears and again when you select a song.

I don't own either of the SuperNova games.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
NAOKi SYNDROME
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDR X has a comparatively eclectic songlist in comparison to other US CSs. The whole Electro Synth Pop sound is relatively new to most ears. Definitely more subdued and better suited for slow wriggling. The announcer, on the other hand, is amazingly bad.
DDRmunki
Basic Member
Basic Member

8. PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Best PS2 Game? Reply with quote

To me the ja[panese games are better due to the fact I like the songs better.
I think you should do some research of the game titles and look them up on youtube and see all the songs for each game.
To me for USA : Max, Max2, Supernova, & EXTREME2 are good EXTREME great. E10.gif tyhat's bout all.
Japan to me MAX~Supernova great games.

EXTREME is the best for Japanese Releases E10.gif lol.
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
chennymountain
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say,

SuperNOVA
In The Groove 1 and 2
Extreme
Max
Max 2
X
Extreme 2
Konamix
SuperNOVA 2

herored
Basic Member
Basic Member

10. PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddrmax 2
JC_Denton46
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME:
Max
Max 2
Extreme 2

GREAT:
Extreme

GOOD:
Supernova
X

WEAK:
Supernova 2
Nightime
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDRMAX:

Buy this one if you like hard stages, fast-paced techno and eurobeat. Or if you REALLY like old-school beatmania IIDX a lot.

DDRMAX 2:

Buy this one if you like trance or rave music, as well as songs from the 4th Mix or DDRMAX/MAX 2 era.

EXTREME:

You've got this, but just for others' info:

Buy this one if you like 80's music, old-school Konami Originals, or A + V + 321 STARS enough to deal with a broken interface (and not willing to splurge on X-Box/ULTRAMIX 2, instead).

EXTREME 2:

Buy this one if you like speed pop, NAOKI-brand rave songs, trance-pop, and most of the DDR EXTREME Konami Originals. It's also a good alternative for the Konami Originals found in ULTRAMIX for non X-Boxers.

SuperNOVA:

Buy this one if you like rock or punk music, classical-techno fusion, or can't live without "FRECKLES" from DDRMAX. Or if you love stepcharts with lots of skipping in them, there's that too.

SuperNOVA 2:

Buy this one if you like pop or punk-pop music, alternative rock, or tropical-sounding music. Lots of jumping here.

DDR X:

Buy this one if you like hip-hop/rap, reggae, or outer-space-sounding music, or you're really, really new to the game. It has a lot of easy stages and until you reach boss-level stuff; a fairly loose learning curve.

You'll probably want to play another mix before you push yourself to the boss songs, though.
AnimaniacZero
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperNOVA2 grew on me a lot for some reason, but Extreme 2 is my all-time favorite.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
garymatic
Basic Member
Basic Member

14. PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Best to worst! Reply with quote

I think we can all agree that SuperNOVA 2 is the worst.

Best to Worst (My opinion):

SuperNova 1: The most fun, and interactive story mode out there. A few old-school songs for the parents. Choreography is terrific. You don't have to be a total DDR expert to unlock all the songs! Character selection is bad =(

DDR Extreme 2: Tons of characters. Classic songs with terrific tunes! Story mode is entertaining.

DDR X: Best song rating and grading system. Characters are very cool! Has modern songs that you're bound to know. Story mode uses cliche and is sooooo boring.

DDR Extreme 1: Don't own it, but I've played it. The song selection is very good!

DDR MAX 2: Songs are kinda lame, nothing too special about this one.

DDR MAX: Basically the same as MAX 2.

SuperNOVA 2: Konami got uber lazy with this one. They took all the components of SuperNOVA 1, recycled it, and sprinkled Ashley Tisdale over it. Don't buy it. Period.
mequetrefe413
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my suggested order in which you should get any DDR games (All of them being releases for the US PS2):

1. DDRMAX2: Most complete, most balanced console mix available

2. DDR EXTREME2: Amazing mix, impressive interface, with a great selection of songs! only problem is the broken grading system

3. DDR SuperNOVA: If you have a very open mind for music selection, this would be your mix, however lots of step skips and jumps for many heavy/expert charts.

4. DDR X: This would be a perfect game to get if you're getting started. Very expanded curve for learning, and it will help you get through the beginner and basic levels very quickly. However, have in mind there is a combination of futuristic soundish Dance Music, J-pop, Rock, Hip Hop, Reggae Roots ("Take A Chance"), and Reggaeton, so having an open mind for music will help you enjoy this mix, otherwise this may not be the mix for you.

5. DDRMAX: This is more of a catchup mix for us here in America, although it has several songs from the Arcade port. This may not be your game if your're getting started

6. DDR EXTREME: It could had been a whole lot better if Konami would had used the Arcade interface over the "DDR Festival" interface and scoring system, and made better selection with licenses, and why did they bother to put games for the eyetoy over ten of the license songs from the "Dancemania" series we had been waiting for.

7. DDR SuperNOVA 2: A bigger disappointment than Extreme! The worst selection of licenses (only a couple of them were enjoyable by most of the regulars here), many KO's that we could had live without (Who in the world plays songs like "Cachaca" and "Baila Baila"?), not to mention you're going to feel like a frog or a grashopper with all the jumping the charts are loaded with? OH, and not to forget to mention than more than half of the Konami Originals from the Arcade port of this game ended up on DDR X console release, including the two super boss songs "Pluto" amd "Pluto Relinquish".
iBOCK3
Basic Member
Basic Member

16. PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Extreme 2 has a ton of content and some of the best songs E1.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
videoCWK
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say go with Max or Max 2. They both have pretty solid song lists, but I would say Max's is a tad better. Max 2, however, has a better unlock system. Max 2's tells you how close you are to unlocking a new song whereas Max leaves you in the dark about it. Each of them has the songwheel interface, which is the preferred interface of most players. Extreme 2, Supernova, and Supernova 2 all have overcomplicated unlock systems in my opinion, but they do have the songwheel in "Free mode." I can't say I like their songlists that much though. They all have a few good songs, but that's just it, only a few.
I haven't played much DDR as of recent, or kept on top of it, so I can't say much about this new "DDR X." I'm just here because I've only recently started playing again.
Basic Member
Basic Member

18. PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDRMAX2 (US). 'nough said.
HatTrick3
Basic Member
Basic Member

19. PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what would you guys consider the best out of max, extreme 2, x, and supernova 2?
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: