Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

poll on newbies... (this isnt to poke at nooBs...)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weepy
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: poll on newbies... (this isnt to poke at nooBs...) Reply with quote

yep... do you torture them by playing the hardest songs?
or do you assist them by playing "higher" one million times until they master "stepping on the arrow".
me? well... i just taught like... 1/2 of whitney young's students ddr, so... think about it. would i want a thousand nooBs chasing me? nooooo...
(this isnt to poke at nooBs...)
deranged
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't really meant for newbies to comment on but I'll do it anyway E15.gif
I for myself like to teach it all to myself. It's just something that if I accomplish it I can say "hey, I did it on my own". Although it's nice to play with someone who knows DDR better than you just to train some hard stuff on Arcades without failing becuase your partner keeps the score up.
Oh and as for teaching someone the basics. I pretty much taught everyone I know who has the slightest interest in videogames the basics (i.e. do not step back in the middle after every step but stay on the arrows, focus on the rhythm, etc etc). I think that's just a common thing to do to introduce more people to DDR. Otherwise they would never understand the concept of it and be turned away before they even understand it.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Cookies
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I'm playing with someone that doesn't play well I only request that I get to choose the last song.

If I have to suffer through Matsuri Japan and End of the Century, they can suffer through Max300 or Maxx Unlimited.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
RecklessAndUnderpaid
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont exacty torture them....but i usually end up doing some of my favorite but hard songs and and i get asked to teach someone afterwards...but they usually end up getting either frusterated or bored cuz i have them do like xanadu (sp?) or whatever lvl 1 song i can find quickly....and have a talent for teaching n00bs and flirting with the regular ddr guys at the same time
so im just the nice, flirty, n00b teacher.....i should start getting paid for it...
View users profile Send private message
L¡ustyle
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how you can really teach someone to play DDR well either than the basics of how to play (i.e. hitting the arrows on the pad when the arrows on the screen reach the top)

Like a bicycle, you can't learn by watching, you need to learn from actually doing it.
-LoC- SkitZ®
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes.. but if it's someone totally new, i let them choose the first two songs...
wesdives
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never taken a noob to an arcade. Though i did once have an intermediate play doubles for the first time ever. It was his choice to play End of the Century, which he failed almost halfway through. Whenever I have people try it for the first time w/ max usa though, they'll be playing lotsa remember you and ordinary world. some spin the disc, etc. etc, un;less they ask for a better song and say they don't mind how badly they fail.
View users profile Send private message Send email Xbox Live Gamertag
systembreak ▶◀
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i don't know if it would be considered teaching but, where i play i do doubles alot. As a matter of fact i was the only one doing it at the time. Now 2 months later i got 4 people watching what i do and trying to out do it. Which on some songs they have, but I am still overall the best there. When i asked why they started playing doubles they said they liked what i was doing. So i guess in a way i did teach them how to do it. riiight.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
firefly143
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did coerce a n00b into playing Ghosts and Justify My Love on Hvy with me once. Let's just say that he was a trembling mess after that. I was just chillin' by the machine boasting my "A"s to him. How cruel of me.
There IS an inverse dimension. There IS negative infinity. Your mind is too weak to grasp what I have seen, the harnessing of the opposite elements of the mind, the great conflicts, the egotisic changes, the arguments...the violence...
Romantic Boy
Trick Member
Trick Member

Location: In Southern California, where the romance guides me through my heart and soul
9. PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

Usually when I play noone else plays with me...they always watch. I've gotten so used to playing alone that when I do play against/with someone I choke big time dude...and really I have no stories regarding this biggrin.gif

That's the way I like it
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vi0LeT wrote:
That's the way I like it

Uh huh, uh huh. E15.gif

New players can be tedious and annoying. But at the very least, they don't take as long as good players.

That's what irks me, really. Elitists who bitch and moan about newbies. How they take forever to play and don't play well, and choose stupid songs.

Hey, to be frank, I'd rather wait through 3 songs (or less if they fail) instead of sitting on my ass and watching as a real good player decides to hop on the machine and choose something like "World Tour", let alone make it to the Extra Stage. disgust.gif I make a habit of playing most of my Onis when no one is around so as not to get in the way of other's wanting to play, unless it's just Naoki Neo or another 5-song course.

Aside from my own thoughts on "Elitism vs. Newbies", I don't go out of my way to help, but if I see someone is new and is having a horrible time with comprehending the game, I'll step over and mention a thing or two -- placing feet on arrows, not returning to the center, counting to the beat to get the hang of it. Things like that.
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm...I let them pick the song or I'll choose for them if they don't know what's a good song for them. E15.gif
Weepy
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: yeah... Reply with quote

i hate jerks who dont give nooBs a chance at ddr
Weepy
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: yeah... Reply with quote

Weepy
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: yeah... Reply with quote

NAOKi SYNDROME
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to say fledglings... But I let them pick all the songs if they want, unless they want me to pick. There is no such thing as a crappy song in my book, because the easier it is, the easier it is to freestyle. Idon't mean to make them look bad, but I utilize what pushed me to become a greater player; play a song that blows the mind...

I like newer people, they don't give you hell for getting a C on a maniac song...
onetwolittleb
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't play anything hard until they've play enough, seen enough to get the chance to be addicted. Remember, the more people play DDR, the more arcades buy DDR, the more konami has insentive to not let it die, even if it's only for the home game at this point. And if it does die, the bigger the community the more likely there will be something to keep it going fresh.

The only reason to be hostile to new players is if you are so insecure you have to take that petty piece of insecurity. Or, if you just want the arcade machine to yourself before it goes away because it's not bringing in enough money.
Pop'n Usagi!
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend not to help newbies in my area, most of them are obnoxious townies anyway.. i did help a 6 year old get started once E1.gif it was fun, he was actually pretty good! better than most of the annoying little kids that stopmp on the pad in the middle of my max300 doubles...
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Oolong
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was a newbie who was lucky enough to be weaned on EXTREME, so i could do the super easy Little steps along with any song the first few times... then by the time i moved up to light i could do 3-4 footers.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
The Reverend
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDR_USAGI! wrote:
I tend not to help newbies in my area, most of them are obnoxious townies anyway.. i did help a 6 year old get started once E1.gif it was fun, he was actually pretty good! better than most of the annoying little kids that stopmp on the pad in the middle of my max300 doubles...

I hear ya there "G" but I did the same thing and his parents gave me eight tokens.... Teo games but i do also hat little kids that stomp on the other pad even if I am not playin Doubles. I also hate teenager posers disgust.gif disturb.gif

I can do whatever I want to be.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: