Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Can DDR Help Lower Blood Pressure?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SEXY BEAST
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Can DDR Help Lower Blood Pressure? Reply with quote

I suffer from high blood pressure and I was wonder if playing DDR can help lower it. I am currently trying to turn myself into a doubles player, but getting Cs on songs like Passion of Love, Burning the Floor, So Fabulous So Fierce, etc.

Dance Master 2005
Stellar Master 2006
Hyper Master 2007
Street Master 2008
View users profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
__
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should when coupled with a healthy diet
View users profile Send private message
Nemoide
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine DDR would be comperable to other cardio workouts?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
DahrkDaiz
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, DDR CAN be comparable to other cardiovascular work workouts/aerobics. However, playing DDR doesn't mean an instant great work out. If you're used to playing 10 footers and play 2 hours of 7 footers, you're not going to get the same benefits because your body simply won't need to work as much. You really have to continuously push yourself to get the maximum impact.

It's all about heart rate. I try to keep my rate above 140 bpm for the entire duration of playing DDR, which is about 2 hours at a time. This is hard to do if you have to wait in line between turns or if you take a long break between songs/games. You have to be constantly playing songs back to back (the nonstop modes work great for this). What I do is take a reading of my heart rate between games. If Im starting to get towards 130bpm, I will be sure to play more 9 footers and 10 footers on the next game. I will play a 10 footer as my last song and test my heart rate. After something like Paranoia Survivor, my heart rate is hitting nearly 180 bpm. Consider the fact that you're heart rate is like that for a minute and a half, then you get a small cool down.

Doubles mode can help you with keeping your heart rate up. 7 footer songs on doubles will keep your heart rate higher than they will on singles. Also, don't use the bar. It will aid in keeping your heart rate up.

Doing all this, I have a resting heart rate of about 56-57 bpm. For someone who's 200lbs and 5'7", that's pretty good. Last I checked my blood pressure, it was actually slightly below normal.

And as mentioned before, watch your diet. Lots of salts and fats raise blood pressure. Potassium will help lower it. Eat your bananas after playing DDR E13.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Nathan.
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how bout you go see a doctor
Da-Risin-Smoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the causes of high blood pressure is stress.

Is your life under heavy toll with the heavy demands of work, life, etc.?

Is DDR your happy place?
If DDR can help calm you, then yes, it will lower your blood pressure.

Also, avoid those salty foods, they raise blood pressure and make you feel fat and dehydrated.
I eat mop, who?
Haha, you eat your poo.
Groovestats
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
brisaya
Basic Member
Basic Member

6. PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone advise best natural remedy for high blood pressure?
My mom has essential high blood pressure sometimes reaching over the 200/160 mark. As her blood pressure has been high for a while she has an enlarged right ventricle which will and is leading to CHF. Her breathing is already heavy. Her doctor has given her Betaloc, Plendil, Inhibace, Dosan, Cartia a blood thinner, Lipex for high cholesterol and Quinine for night cramps. She's in her early 70's and she complains of head aches, extreme fatigue and loss of energy. She has increasing dark circles around her eyes as if she hasn't slept in months with shortness of breath like she's gasping for air. I would like her to try natural remedies because these synthetic drugs don't appear to be doing much for her overall health. Can anyone advise some really good and effective natural remedies to treat both high blood pressure and CHF? I know Celery is good for lowering blood pressure.

Last edited by brisaya on Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total
DAVE101
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does she play DDR?
Haoie
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that logic, any exercise can. Why pay for it when you can jog or something?
Tonight
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haoie wrote:
Why pay for it when you can jog or something?

Because it's fun? I guess one thing to keep in mind is that exercise that is less efficient/effective, but more fun may be better ultimately because exercise that isn't fun may be tough to stick with, so if both exercises produce similar benefits and one is more fun, why not go with the latter?

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Da-Risin-Smoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brisaya wrote:
Can someone advise best natural remedy for high blood pressure?
My mom has essential high blood pressure sometimes reaching over the 200/160 mark. As her blood pressure has been high for a while she has an enlarged right ventricle which will and is leading to CHF. Her breathing is already heavy.

Is she overweight?

Quote:
Her doctor has given her Betaloc, Plendil, Inhibace, Dosan, Cartia a blood thinner, Lipex for high cholesterol and Quinine for night cramps.

Holy crap, probably

Quote:
She's in her early 70's and she complains of head aches, extreme fatigue and loss of energy. She has increasing dark circles around her eyes as if she hasn't slept in months with shortness of breath like she's gasping for air.

When you're young you breathe from the abdomen. When you're older you breathe from the mouth. If she hasn't slept in months, it's probably sleep apnea. This means you are sufficating in your sleep and your body instantly can breathe again with a "gasp!" of relief of sucking air.

Quote:
I would like her to try natural remedies because these synthetic drugs don't appear to be doing much for her overall health. Can anyone advise some really good and effective natural remedies to treat both high blood pressure and CHF? I know Celery is good for lowering blood pressure.

Drugs are almost pointless in the long run in my opinion, if you don't do anything to change your lifestyle. Lower the salt intake. Salt raises blood pressure. She probably needs to shapen up her diet too, like cherrios for high cholesterol and the works. My mind is out of shape for knowledge right now..
At her age it's almost impossible to get any good exercise.

I worked with a physical therapist a while back and we worked with an old lady that was 120+ pounds overweight, had arthritis, sleep apnea, and diabetes.

If possible get her to see a physical therapist and get her motivated to do simple exercises that help the joints, the muscles, and increase flexibility.

I doubt you're still here, but hey, this site needs something interesting.
I eat mop, who?
Haha, you eat your poo.
Groovestats
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Haoie
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say DDR causes more heart attacks than it prevents.
Tonight
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: