Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

triplets

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi50
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: triplets Reply with quote

so i've started playing at home a lot, via blueshark and SM, which correctly places triplets. I went and played Extreme in the arcade last night for the first time in a while, and my PA was complete crap on songs like So Deep and Burning Heat, to the point where i couldnt even get AA them.

so does anyone know of a way to "unfix" triplets so that they line up like those in 8th mix?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
IXAM
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Deep doesn't have triplets. And all I'd recommend is practicing on the arcade machine or wait for SN2. I don't exactly know if you can fix triplets for SM.
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could manually change each song with triplets to make them retarded.

And SN2 hasn't fixed triplets completely, they're just a bit better.
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F-haru 1952 wrote:
You could manually change each song with triplets to make them retarded.

And SN2 hasn't fixed triplets completely, they're just a bit better.

anybody got some retarded .sm files for me?
videoCWK
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could adjust SM's timing windows to be insanely small. It won't help with triplets, but your timing will increase a lot.
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDR:UK's simfiles have arcade-accurate triplets.
View users profile Send private message
Tenchi50
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

videoCWK wrote:
You could adjust SM's timing windows to be insanely small. It won't help with triplets, but your timing will increase a lot.

thats a really good idea.

and i'm heading over to ddr:uk now
QWERTYkid911
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Z-I-V.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
ddrpros
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooo anyone care to explain what a triplet is? its a shame i dont know what it means

my email is theaznstephanie@yahoo.com

i dont check the other email listed in my profile

Dealextreme - best deals for electronic gadgets
Super Strong Magnets $1.63 shipped

youtube
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Tenchi50
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

three notes that occur consecutively whithin one beat.

spoken 1-la-li 2-la-li

in the subdivision of a beat, it's between eighth notes and sixteenth notes.

in a measure of 4/4:

quarter notes:1 2 3 4
eighth: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
triplets:1 la li 2 la li 3 la li 4 la li
sixteenth: 1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a
The Supervisor
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

videoCWK wrote:

For real?
0rion
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There actually IS a proper way to quantize triplets (the way DDR does them, I mean) on Stepmania. It's a little tricky, but you can make the fake "DDR style" triplets in Stepmania. Here is the .sm file for the "quantized" (DDR) version of Burning Heat:

http://rapidshare.com/files/82909334/Burning_Heat___3_Option_MIX_.sm.html
QWERTYkid911
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenchi50 wrote:
spoken 1-la-li 2-la-li

Really? I've never heard it that way. I've always learned it in the traditional "1 is a 2 is a..."
pleasedon'thurtme
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, do not know much anything about triplets. I had heard a triplet is a note divided into three different notes. So, would it be correct to equate a triplet to a twelfth note?

www.stayonsync.com/forum
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
ʎɐb sı ʞ01ɹǝɥs
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pleasedon'thurtme wrote:
I, too, do not know much anything about triplets. I had heard a triplet is a note divided into three different notes. So, would it be correct to equate a triplet to a twelfth note?

Yep, "twelfth note" is the commonly used term. Or for triplets that are further subdivided, 24ths or even 48ths. You won't see these much in DDR, but in ITG and custom ITG songs you definitely could.

In arcade ITG, all triplets are purple. For many Stepmania noteskins, 24ths and 48ths have different colors to distinguish them from 12ths. In SuperNOVA 1 and 2, triplets appear as green arrows with the "note" noteskin. (But don't be fooled...they're still not quantized properly to be true triplets. E13.gif )

P.S. - Keep in mind that for music games we are technically using the terms "quarter note/eight note/twelfth note" incorrectly. In actual musical terms, "Xth" note refers to a note's duration, not which part of the beat it falls on. For simplicity's sake, however, we still use the terms in this improper way.
View users profile Send private message
Nightime
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutesauce wrote:
pleasedon'thurtme wrote:

Yep, "twelfth note" is the commonly used term. Or for triplets that are further subdivided, 24ths or even 48ths. You won't see these much in DDR, but in ITG and custom ITG songs you definitely could.

In arcade ITG, all triplets are purple. For many Stepmania noteskins, 24ths and 48ths have different colors to distinguish them from 12ths. In SuperNOVA 1 and 2, triplets appear as green arrows with the "note" noteskin. (But don't be fooled...they're still not quantized properly to be true triplets. E13.gif )

P.S. - Keep in mind that for music games we are technically using the terms "quarter note/eight note/twelfth note" incorrectly. In actual musical terms, "Xth" note refers to a note's duration, not which part of the beat it falls on. For simplicity's sake, however, we still use the terms in this improper way.

Actually, isn't a "triplet" technically a string of 3 eighth- or sixteenth-notes? But anyways, I think I know what you're getting at, here.

IIRC, older DDR games quantize them to be 5/32 and 11/32's, so there's always a microsecondly difference between the "third" triple and the main beat. This, combined with the otherwise even pacing makes it difficult for people to follow when they're adjusted to a 3/8~3/8~1/4 kind of pattern. E13.gif

If you want arcade-accurate timing, highlight the section in question in Song Editor, go to "quantize", and set it to 32nd. If you want actual triple-note timing, quantize it to 24th/12th, and if you want SuperNOVA timing, quantize the 12/24ths to 64th. It's that simple.

As far as your timing in question - I don't think that has anything to do with your triplet placements. The Perfect window on Extreme is big enough that a small adjustment like that shouldn't matter. I think your SM timing windows are just bigger than they are in the arcade. That, or you're playing more with your fingers, and your foot-coordination is lacking as a result. It's happened to me before, too.

Play DDR PwrMix today!

I am not affiliated with Konami, Dancemania, or any related company. This project is intended for fanart/fanservice purposes only.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Virtually Emotionless
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightime wrote:
mutesauce wrote:
pleasedon'thurtme wrote:

Actually, isn't a "triplet" technically a string of 3 eighth- or sixteenth-notes? But anyways, I think I know what you're getting at, here.

IIRC, older DDR games quantize them to be 5/32 and 11/32's, so there's always a microsecondly difference between the "third" triple and the main beat. This, combined with the otherwise even pacing makes it difficult for people to follow when they're adjusted to a 3/8~3/8~1/4 kind of pattern. E13.gif

If you want arcade-accurate timing, highlight the section in question in Song Editor, go to "quantize", and set it to 32nd. If you want actual triple-note timing, quantize it to 24th/12th, and if you want SuperNOVA timing, quantize the 12/24ths to 64th. It's that simple.

As far as your timing in question - I don't think that has anything to do with your triplet placements. The Perfect window on Extreme is big enough that a small adjustment like that shouldn't matter. I think your SM timing windows are just bigger than they are in the arcade. That, or you're playing more with your fingers, and your foot-coordination is lacking as a result. It's happened to me before, too.
This site is unbelievable. E2.gif Bold print is what's correct.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: