Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Why is it that the default StepMania timing windows...

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeavyD2
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Why is it that the default StepMania timing windows... Reply with quote

...at least the Marvelous and "Perfect", are larger than both DDR's and ITG's?

StepMania (default Judge 4)
Marvelous/Fantastic: 22.5 ms
"Perfect"/Excellent: 45 ms
Great: 90 ms
Good: 135 ms
Boo/Barely: 180 ms

DDR Extreme
Marvelous: 15 ms (Judge 6)
"Perfect": 30 ms (Judge 6)
Great: 90 ms (Judge 4)
Good: 120 ms (about judge 4 2/3)
Boo: 150 ms (Judge 5)

In The Groove
Fantastic: 21.5 ms (about judge 4 1/4)
Excellent: 43 ms (about judge 4 1/4)
Great: 102 ms (about judge 3.2)
Decent: 135 ms (Judge 4)
Way Off: 180 ms (Judge 4)

So to truly get what would be a AAA in DDR, you'd have to get a AAA on Judge 6 (which would be a AAAA on Judge 2!)

And if somebody knows what the home DDR version timing windows are, that would be great.
View users profile Send private message
Nightime
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDR EXTREME was designed for "Perfect" play. SM/itg was designed for "Marvelous" play. SuperNOVA's timing windows are considerably different/tightened too, but though the "Marvelous" and "Perfect" window is smaller, the "Great" and "Good" window are much wider.

I think the only difference in most home versions is that the "Perfect" timing is 1 ms wider each way, to compensate for inconsistent hardware (3rd party Dance Pads which may not time exactly with Konami's - *and* might still be used in conjunction with them!) And even in different versions, different timing windows apply.

5th Mix timing != DDR EXTREME timing, for example. In fact, 5th Mix "Perfect" ~= DDR EXTREME "Marvelous!"

This is a neverending experiment to find a timing that's loose enough for casual players, and strict enough for professional PA'ers. Which of course, is totally contradictory, unless that's supposed to be the difference in "Marvelous" and "Perfect" timing.

Play DDR PwrMix today!

I am not affiliated with Konami, Dancemania, or any related company. This project is intended for fanart/fanservice purposes only.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
HeavyD2
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well, Marvelous/Fantastic in StepMania isn't really ranked any better than "Perfect"/Excellent, except that if you get all Marvelous/Fantastic then you get a AAAA, You still need a full "Perfect"/Excellent combo to get a AAA - which ends up being considerably easier to get than arcade DDR's counterpart. This is why I think the Marvelous is too easy to get in StepMania and why I swear by Ridiculous Timing in my StepMania 3.9. Its timing window of 11.25 ms is smaller than the Marvelous in DDR.

I can believe, though, that the SuperNOVA timing windows got smaller. I seem to get more Marvelouses on courses in Extreme than SuperNOVA.[/url]
View users profile Send private message
Nightime
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open Data/Stepmania.ini and experiment a little with these lines:

Code:
JudgeWindowAdd=0.000000
JudgeWindowScale=1.000000
JudgeWindowSecondsAttack=0.135000
JudgeWindowSecondsBoo=0.180000
JudgeWindowSecondsGood=0.135000
JudgeWindowSecondsGreat=0.090000
JudgeWindowSecondsMarvelous=0.022500
JudgeWindowSecondsMine=0.070000
JudgeWindowSecondsOK=0.250000
JudgeWindowSecondsPerfect=0.045000

Mind you, simfiles are written to these standards as well, so some songs you can "AA" with ease now may need to be re-gapped/synched once you do. I wouldn't suggest taking Marvelous below 0.017500 or Perfect below 0.035000 - or you'll be putting a LOT more effort into your retiming of songs/stages than you will playing and scoring them. And just in case, I'd leave the "Great" and "Good" windows alone. E13.gif

But that's just me. And I *am* using the defaults, still.

Play DDR PwrMix today!

I am not affiliated with Konami, Dancemania, or any related company. This project is intended for fanart/fanservice purposes only.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: