Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Home version: does a HDD fix the loading times issue? How?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SingleA
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Home version: does a HDD fix the loading times issue? How? Reply with quote

I've finally tired of the DDREX2, so I'm back to ITG, which is still my favorite home release. But, the loading times are driving me nuts!

I read someplace in the massive console thread that attaching a hard drive would fix the loading times issue. Lucky for me, I still have the old style (not thin) playstation, and I found that you can get network card/HDD combos off of ebay. You can also buy FFXI (the game), which comes with a HDD and network card.

So, once I install the hard drive, do I need to do anything else?

I don't see how loading times would be any faster unless the game stores all the music tracks on the hard drive. Does this happen automatically, or do I need to get some kind of hackware to backup the whole game to the HDD?

Bonus question: if I just buy the network card, could I somehow install my own custom drive (seagate or maxtor)? I have a bunch of them lying around, and would hate buy the overpriced Sony drives if a standard drive would work.
View users profile Send private message
Dan Druff
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't long loading times good for people playing a dancing game? Long loading times give you time to breathe.nerd.gif

We're entering a gray area. Along with a hard drive and an official Sony network adaptor, the other thing you need is a game ripper (HD Loader, HD Advance, memory card exploit) which rips the contents to the hard drive. You boot the HD program on the PlayStation 2 and then use the Convert option to rip the game to your hard drive. The reason why playing games from the hard drive is faster is because a hard drive is easier to access than a disc, allowing for faster load times. The disc image is stored onto the hard drive. It's the same with playing certain PC games; games that play off the disc will be faster if they were copied to the hard drive. You can also use a program like WinHiip on the PC to rip PlayStation 2 games to the PlayStation 2 hard drive.

To answer your other question, you can use most hard drives between 40GB and 200GB. The older versions of HD Loader will only support 120GB hard drives while newer versions support up to 200GB. Western Digital and most Seagate hard drives won't work because they don't fit the network adaptor really well; use Maxtor or Hitachi hard drives instead.
MaxXimus
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Druff wrote:
Aren't long loading times good for people playing a dancing game? Long loading times give you time to breathe.nerd.gif

We're entering a gray area. Along with a hard drive and an official Sony network adaptor, the other thing you need is a game ripper (HD Loader, HD Advance, memory card exploit) which rips the contents to the hard drive. You boot the HD program on the PlayStation 2 and then use the Convert option to rip the game to your hard drive. The reason why playing games from the hard drive is faster is because a hard drive is easier to access than a disc, allowing for faster load times. The disc image is stored onto the hard drive. It's the same with playing certain PC games; games that play off the disc will be faster if they were copied to the hard drive. You can also use a program like WinHiip on the PC to rip PlayStation 2 games to the PlayStation 2 hard drive.

To answer your other question, you can use most hard drives between 40GB and 200GB. The older versions of HD Loader will only support 120GB hard drives while newer versions support up to 200GB. Western Digital and most Seagate hard drives won't work because they don't fit the network adaptor really well; use Maxtor or Hitachi hard drives instead.

completely unrelated to the topic, but I noticed your DP and I have a game for the psx with that character in it... Umi Hara or something like that?

Anyways it's a good game.

So as not to be totally spamming, like stated before, Im sure maxtor is your best bet.

(\__/)
(o.o )
(> < )
Kaku
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so ready to play on my PS2 but found out that the network adapter didn't fit into a Western Digital

then I bought a Seagate then found out it didn't fit either

;_;

I wish this thread popped up earlier.
Basic Member
Basic Member

4. PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. This was just the info I needed.

I ended up buying "HD Advance" instead of "HD Loader". The benefits are that it supports DVD-9 (double layer disks), large hard drive, and no mod chip is needed since the media is pressed. The downside is the cost.

For those that are curious, here's a full hardware compatibility chart:

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/

I know the moderators are always anxious to lock topics here. I guess they can lock this one now, since I have my answers. riiight.gif
Kalek
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD Loader shouldn't need a mod chip to boot (unless you have an illegal copy).

Anyway, try to use a 7200 rpm HDD. 5400 rpm will still give you considerably better load times, but 7200 rpm (I've heard, I've only had experience with 5400 rpm) is even better.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: