Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

ITG crash bug found, workaround discovered
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reenee
Trick Member
Trick Member

20. PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

lack of slowing in trainning

WHOA WHOA WHOA, you should actually PLAY before you go around saying things like that. Slowing down songs is possible in ITG.

And I think people are being misled about Autosave in MAX/MAX2: having it ACTIVATED corrupted people's saves, not by turning off the PS2 early or anything like that.
View users profile Send private message
Wolfman Jake
Trick Member
Trick Member

21. PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reenee, do you mean that right after enabling the autosave option people's save files were corrupted? Or do you mean "active", and not "activated," in which people's save files just become corrupted at any point (possibly long after) autosave was enabled?

Anyway, I really wonder how many people have experienced save file corruption on MAX/MAX 2 without interupting the save process in some way. A majority of the people that I've seen report this problem admit that they weren't careful about waiting until the autosave message clears completely. Plus, remember that it can also damage your save file if you shut down the game without first exiting the song wheel.
cfusionpm
Trick Member
Trick Member

22. PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HENTAI] Reenee wrote:
And I think people are being misled about Autosave in MAX/MAX2: having it ACTIVATED corrupted people's saves, not by turning off the PS2 early or anything like that.

never happened to me. i never once had any saving problems with any konami game i have owned (20+ games, US and JP). in my bemani games, i always have autosave on and no game, not even max/max2 us or jp has given me any trouble of any kind while saving. how would simply having it activated (as mine is) corrupt your data?
Trick Member
Trick Member

23. PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wonder if it has anything to do with which PS2 version you are using. The earliest models to hit the US had all sorts of weird problems with memory cards and other hardware failures. Weren't their also some cases of memory card slots or controller ports actually shorting out?
cfusionpm
Trick Member
Trick Member

24. PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well for mine, i had a first gen ps2 till about late 2001, when a mod chip installation was botched, and screwed it. to replace it, i got the gt3+ps2 bundle. so its still a decently early model. with about 4 years of hard use on it, i haven't had any problems with it yet.
Trick Member
Trick Member

25. PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in on the people who've never had autosave issues with ddrmax.

For those who have troubles.

1) DDRMAX x autosaves after EVERY GAME, to update the high scores, the individual song high scores, etc. And if the entire game isn't unlocked, it updates the game counter. It's very easy to forget that the game is going to autosave.
2) always do soft power off first. hard poweroff is considered by Sony to be dangerous. This is an extra paranoid tip, but it may make a differnece.

NO, the games that give me trouble are ones that autosave during gameplay without pausing the game for it. like Spyro: A Heroes Tail. That gmae saves wayyyy too often too. every single time you die, it rewrites your save to the memory card! so you turn off ifn frustration and lose yor save.
mr_zelda
Trick Member
Trick Member

26. PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xAzNDDRpRiNcEsSx wrote:
I'm very happy that this game was developed, beta-tested, and marketed to perfection, which is proved by its lightning-quick load times, complete lack of crash bugs, awesome edit mode, terrific USB support, and strictly-honored original release date. The ability to save your profile to the memory card is astounding as well.

I don't recall there being any edit mode in ITG. I never saw one while playing it.

Oh, and I've never had any problems saving with DDR. I also don't see how turning off the game while in the game wheel would hurt your memory card, DDR only accesses the memory card as it transitions from the wheel to the main menu.
MaxXimus
Trick Member
Trick Member

27. PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_zelda wrote:
xAzNDDRpRiNcEsSx wrote:
I'm very happy that this game was developed, beta-tested, and marketed to perfection, which is proved by its lightning-quick load times, complete lack of crash bugs, awesome edit mode, terrific USB support, and strictly-honored original release date. The ability to save your profile to the memory card is astounding as well.

I don't recall there being any edit mode in ITG. I never saw one while playing it.

Oh, and I've never had any problems saving with DDR. I also don't see how turning off the game while in the game wheel would hurt your memory card, DDR only accesses the memory card as it transitions from the wheel to the main menu.

lol u totally missed the sarcasm

(\__/)
(o.o )
(> < )
MaxXimus
Trick Member
Trick Member

28. PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HENTAI] Reenee wrote:
Quote:

lack of slowing in trainning

WHOA WHOA WHOA, you should actually PLAY before you go around saying things like that. Slowing down songs is possible in ITG.

yup.

in training mode, push start then its either the option right above the mod select option or right below it.

i think its called "gameplay options" or something to that effect.

not being able to slow down in training would be dumb.

on a side note. the interface for training really blows. looks like edit mode in stepmania... they should have edited it a lil more and made the select and start menus more graphical, like the rest of the menus in the game.

(\__/)
(o.o )
(> < )
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

29. PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HENTAI] Reenee wrote:
I really doubt that. I always have autosave on and I've never lost a save file.

I think autosave being on is just an artifact. Having autosave on means the game saves all the time, meaning that there are more opportunities for someone to get stupid and turn off their PS2 early.

Turning on autosave alone doesn't kill your save game. If it did, I'm sure we'd be hearing a *lot* more about it.

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
peepsluvr
Trick Member
Trick Member

30. PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any problems with any of my games, ever. I guess it's just because of my habits. I wait until the title screen comes up and always do a soft turn off. The only glitches or anything I've had in my DDR US games was that in MAX sometimes it would display little numbers on the groove radar.

I HOPE KONAMI REMEMBERS TO PUT IN THE DANCE PLAYER OPTIONS IN DDR EXTREME 2 OR I WILL SEND THEM ANGRY E-MAILS! lol.

Ugh. The ONLY time in my life when I got corrupt game files was the holiday demo disc fiasco. Apparently, SONY sent out a demo disc that had a bug in the Viewtiful Joe demo that erased your memory card. I played it, the game reset, but I thought nothing about it. Later I realized my memory card got erased. A few days later, SONY decides to send out warning postcards about the demo, even though I already played it. Oh well, at least I got GT3 out of it for free.
Wolfman Jake
Trick Member
Trick Member

31. PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peepsluvr, that "glitch" you mentioned in DDRMAX is not a glitch at all. It's a hidden special code. If you continue to hold down the "Selection Button" (X, O, or Start should suffice for MAX US, I think) from when you chose your difficulty level until the song wheel appears, then the Groove Radar will show the actual numerical values for each rating.
peepsluvr
Trick Member
Trick Member

32. PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, lol. I wonder why they put it in there? E19.gif
Denz1220
Basic Member
Basic Member

33. PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened to my prehistoric DDR extreme home version after I have unlocked almost all songs. I dont recall it a bug. My fault too because I turned the ps2 off while it is saving.
snickers1127▶◀
Trick Member
Trick Member

34. PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things considered, this bug could be a lot worse. There IS a way to recover your data **thanx Wolfman** and it could have been a more popular sort option (i.e. alphabetical). It's not something that will get in the way of my gameplay, so it's all good. E4.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

35. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snickers1127 wrote:
All things considered, this bug could be a lot worse. There IS a way to recover your data **thanx Wolfman** and it could have been a more popular sort option (i.e. alphabetical). It's not something that will get in the way of my gameplay, so it's all good. E4.gif

It's nice to see that someone is looking at it logically as opposed to complaining about it. How many of you people that are complaining about it would have actually even sorted your songlist that way? I'm willing to bet that that number is INSANELY close to 0.
Sirfrummel
Basic Member
Basic Member

36. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... for this bug in ITG... what exactly do you have to do for it to corrupt your save?

I probably just missed something somewhere, as they posted the fix, but I'm not sure exactly what happens to corrupt the save game.
z-Nyte
Trick Member
Trick Member

37. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically. If you go to the options menu and set the default sort to TOPGRADE. It will crash the game and corrupt your save when you try to play.

That sort option is not selectable in-game when you press up/down/up/down/up/down to bring in the sort wheel.

Just don't select TOPGRADE as your default sort via the options menu and you will have a perfectly good game.
Reenee
Trick Member
Trick Member

38. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It DOES NOT corrupt your save. The data is perfectly preserved. It just changes some piece of data that the game can't understand. Roxor either left out something (the TOPGRADE sort itself) or forgot to remove it.

If it truly were corrupt, then luck of recovering data would be a factor.
Cutriss
Staff Member
Staff Member

39. PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not actually corrupting it, but for most laypeople, that's the easiest way to tell them what's going on.

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: