Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Calorie Counter question

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
White Rose Duelist
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Calorie Counter question Reply with quote

I just tried the fitness mode on ITG for the first time, and was a little surprised by the amount of calories the game said I burned. I played shuffled 6's for 15 minutes, and my total was around 970! A similar workout in DDR tends to burn between 150-250, according to that calorie counter. I don't actually think I burned either less than 1 kcal or nearly half a day's worth in a quarter-hour. Does anyone know anything about the algorithms the two games use to count calories and how I can get a reasonable estimate on how many calories I actually burn while playing?

Thanks!
View users profile Send private message
tortoise
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITG's calorie counter is definitely way off. In my experience with other workout equipment, DDR's seems pretty good. I found that roughly halving your weight makes ITG calorie counter work at about the same rate as DDR's.

But it's all good because ITG's got a great workout mode, DDR could learn a thing or two from it.
White Rose Duelist
Basic Member
Basic Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I was pretty sure I hadn't stumbled upon the best exercise regimen ever.

tortoise wrote:
But it's all good because ITG's got a great workout mode, DDR could learn a thing or two from it.

I agree with that. I really couldn't understand why Konamix was the last time you didn't have to choose each song specifically, since the point of a workout is to keep moving.
Sinistar
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Rose Duelist wrote:
I agree with that. I really couldn't understand why Konamix was the last time you didn't have to choose each song specifically, since the point of a workout is to keep moving.

You've not played Ultramix 2, then. It cycles through all of the available songs (including songpacks) randomly and never stops until you stop it yourself.

ITG's Fitness Mode has its up and downs, depending on what you're looking for in terms of goal or stat support, but I do think the Random Endless mode is a nice touch - grouping songs by difficulty is just a great way to do things.

I go into a lot more detail in my review.

CF cbox mods and more at the 'Pad'
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The counter is not off. I think it is just this:

ITG Arcade has "regulation mode" on. Anyone who has used DDR's Fitness Mode knows what I'm talking about. Regulation mode only counts for calories when you step when there's actually an arrow.

ITG Console must be on "free mode" on, which counts calories for any steps that you make while on the pad at any time even if there is no arrow there to hit.

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
tis kelly
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St00pidBaka // BluR wrote:
The counter is not off. I think it is just this:

ITG Arcade has "regulation mode" on. Anyone who has used DDR's Fitness Mode knows what I'm talking about. Regulation mode only counts for calories when you step when there's actually an arrow.

ITG Console must be on "free mode" on, which counts calories for any steps that you make while on the pad at any time even if there is no arrow there to hit.

Still, I weigh 105 lbs and there's no way I burn 250 calories on a 6-meter song. The calorie counter is even more off than DDR's.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
PedanticOmbudsman
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for comparison, a 200-pound person running at 10 miles per hour for two minutes would burn about 64 calories (about 48 calories for a 150-pound person) in those two minutes, the length of the average ITG song. And although DDR-style dancing can be rather exhausting, especially on harder songs, it's not going to burn a whole lot more calories per minute than running ten miles per hour. Possibly less. So I'd say the calorie meter is WAY off.

Burning 100 calories in two minutes would kill a person, if anyone could even manage it. I don't think it'd even by physiologically possible, except maybe for Olympic-level athletes. Even then, I doubt it. That would be the approximate equivalent of a 150-pound person running at 22 miles per hour for a full two minutes (the human speed record is about 21 miles per hour for a mere 19 seconds, and the dude could hardly breathe for ten minutes afterward).
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: