Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

How is ItG v1 (cannibalizing Konami Cabinets) Legal?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epilonious
Staff Member
Staff Member

0. PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: How is ItG v1 (cannibalizing Konami Cabinets) Legal? Reply with quote

How is ItG v1 Legal?

I ask because basically: ItG goes inside a DDR Jemma Cabinet which seems to be made by Konami. Konami, last time I checked, did not Open-Source the cabinet design. That, and ItG Freak seems to have this "Legality: Do not bother us with questions about legality" attitude (and their faq isn't up yet).

Did Roxor get an OK/license from Konami to design against the Jemma design and put it in old cabinets? Or is Roxor just trying to exploit some sort of strange "well, these aren't made for use outside japan anyways..." illegal machine immigration loophole (so what happens if you put it on a DDR US machine?)

I can understand the idea for yet another dancey game being OK, but they are cannibalizing the machine from a prior game, I guess it'd be OK if they paid Konami to do it, but I haven't seen anything saying as such.

Rampant Speculation

I think that Roxor was just going ahead and seeing if the concept would take off, now that they know there is a market for arcade mixes that aren't > 2 years old, they are gonna up production. But lookee, they are now actually having another company build new cabinets for ItG ver2... Then, if Konami does up and sue, the ~100 machines that were cannibalized will just instantly become unsupported after the cease and desist order is filed against Roxor.

The other thing is: Konami could just be biding their time and waiting to eat Roxor after they get established... or sue them if they become more of a threat.
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.

Discomang:Epi loves penis. epi waffle-roffles.

Last edited by epilonious on Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
LET ME SHOW YOU THEM
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

1. PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read here
For the love of god people, stop posting about this. Do you think Konami is SO ignorant that it would have lasted this long if they could do anything about it? The RoXoR team has explained parts of this themselves many many times, and they have their own secrets as well.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
epilonious
Staff Member
Staff Member

2. PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

read what?

the post wrote:
YES, they currently are planning to ship this IN AN ARCADE CABINET. They have already worked out all legal issues involving differences between it and DDR (they changed the song length, changed the step perspective, a whole new interface, etc), so this is not a forum to discuss this.

That doesn't sound in any way like "they talked to konami and they said it'd be OK"

sounds like "Do not bother us with questions about legality" with a hint of "we've done our best to covor our ass and questions like this scare us... but we're gonna pretend they annoy us and yell at you each time you ask"

Blustering isn't an argument for legality: If ItG peeps would post the "big FAQ with good answers about legality" instead of "arrrrrgh!! why do you always ask about legality, we've got it covored, dagnabbit"... I'd be less skeptical. Until then, it's my right to question until I get links that aren't random blurbs in otherwise undedicated threads.

To Wit: Ya'll post a faq or something if you're sick of answering questions about it, otherwise grit your teeth and answer the questions.

View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
LET ME SHOW YOU THEM
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

3. PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

read the ENTIRE thing..it is in there somewhere...and if not, then oh well..this question has been answered 2034823842038492384024092384082409284238049280942849028408239482304823948 times already
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
epilonious
Staff Member
Staff Member

4. PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the makers should put it in the "Frequently Asked Questions" field on some of the ITG websites, now shouldn't they?

and I bet 99% of the replies were "OMG, This question has been asked so much already, stop asking it!"

*goes off to hunt in a 30 page long thread because apparently, ItG tools are lazy*

Last edited by epilonious on Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total
epilonious
Staff Member
Staff Member

5. PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7303128#7303128

SaeNoDa wrote:

As far as the legal considerations, I have absolutely no ties to this game professionally, I'm just trying to put the word out there.

Supposedly, the folks at Roxor Games have met with their lawyers in order to settle ANY issues that would involve a lawsuit.

I do know that Konami no longer has an arcade division in the United States. Most DDR cabinets in the US are illegal anyways because they're japanese. I do know that things used for entertainment can be imitated so long as there is a significant enough change to the new version.

In this case, they have longer songs, different scrolling arrows, totally different songs, colors, completely different UI, it is developed in a country where the original makers no longer have an arcade division, and the arrows also scroll in reverse by default. I'm not sure if that is even considered enough of a difference, but the guys at Roxor SAY that they're in the clear of legal issues.

it would suck if it did get stopped because of all the work that has gone into it thus far.

So, it looks like the first and foremost to answer legal questions about "is using the DDR cabinet legal" is replied with "I dunno, I hope not"

http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7304312#7304312

The first "we've handled it, you're silly for asking" post

http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7304333#7304333

foyboy21 wrote:

Actually Konami had a press releas stating specifically that they were not going to make ddr again ever. This does seem like it would not make sense as DDR is not dead in the U.S. All I can offer is speculation as to why. From what I have heard from people that have visited Japan this summer is that for the most part it is very rarely played in Japan. I do know that Konami of America (Arcade) went bankrupt, Konami of Japan will not be selling games specifically to the U.S. and has to make their marketing decisions about Japan and not the U.S. Perhaps this is the reason they will no longer make DDR. The company itslef Konami has offically stated that it will not make DDR anymore, that a 9th mix will never be released. If you want the dance game to continue then you will have to either continue to play 8th mix forever, or switch to a new game such as ITG, PiU, or anyother game that is still making new games. I think the decision to stop making DDR was the worst decision ever, however the decision has been made.

Got to the point where the administrator said to stop asking about it in: http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7828226#7828226

Thus, yea. I'm resolute that the "legality" of ItG ver1 is "We don't think they'll sue us"

Now, if Konami does sue them... they probably will only be able to use the "we didn't know it was illegal, and we thought they were done with DDR in america, so we went ahead without asking them" approach to play innocent in the courts.

They can't actually admit this and have the argument work. I don't think this argument will work at all anyways... I could see them using the "it's an upgrade to an existing machine that has already been sold" approach (IE: modding your Mazda won't get the mod's company sued... it just voids the warranty of your Mazda)... but Yeesh, why haven't more people just said that, or created a FAQ instead of being mean.

The whole "It's legal, quit asking" when people ask for the details of legality makes me think that they're hoping they just won't get caught.

Granted... They could have handled all the strings, ItG could be legal... but then why are the developers answering questions so quick to avoid answering the question in any detail? Or worse, attack the person who asked it?

I mean, c'mon. I love the idea of something continuing/replacing DDR. I just am not all excited about having it get popular and then Roxor getting sued into submission or bought after it starts getting popular because their legal tactics seem to be "shhhh, we're hoping Konami won't notice"

diddrstrait
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem here is you are asking "why" when roxor has no reason to divulge information. if they say they have legal issues worked out, then they probably have legal issues worked out. they don't need us playing lawyer for them. the fact of the matter is you and everyone else is just curious. It is possible (likely even) that the folks at roxor have signed NDAs (non-disclosure agreements) that keep them from answering legal questions.

They say they have everything worked out legally. That's good enough for me.
View users profile Send private message
epilonious
Staff Member
Staff Member

7. PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bee Ess.

If they couldn't talk about it due to NDA's then they should say "we can't talk about it due to NDA's".

Also, roxor has a perfectly good reason to divulge information: because parties who are gonna make an investment on the next gen of DDR-ish stuff need more reasoning than "trust us, we got it all worked out". Otherwise, they might get stuck with this box that suddenly becomes unsupported should konami eat roxor.

I mean, if a bajilliontey people asking these questions are driving the developers/company nuts, then roxor needs to write up a FAQ which says "these are the details" or "this is why we're not allowed to talk about the details". I mean, an NDA would at least be some sign that they talked to Konami AT ALL. Right now, they aren't dispelling rumors that they basically are just hoping Konami won't care, sometimes they'll break down and say "all the songs are licensed"... which makes it look even more duplicitous.

I'm not playing lawyer. I'm playing journalist, a journalist who has seen something fishy and is wondering what all the cloak and dagger is about.

toady007
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psyton wrote:
Then the makers should put it in the "Frequently Asked Questions" field on some of the ITG websites, now shouldn't they?

*goes off to hunt in a 30 page long thread because apparently, ItG tools are lazy*

The problem here is that nobody outside of Roxor employees and say maybe five people actually care about the legality of the stystem.

You're about two years late for this debate, btw. It's been covered to death and back.
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question here is not "how is this legal?", the question is "how is this ILLEGAL?"

in the united states people are innocent until proven guilty.

open sourcing a cabinet? wtf are you talking about???

this happens to games all the time, switching out MK4's and Steet Fighters and MVC's with each other, etc.

namco doesnt go apeshit about it, neither does capcom, neither did konami.

the question here is: why didnt they? they could in SO MANY instances. we're not talking about the possible ignorance of konami US/JP here, we're talking about konami, capcom, namco and lots of other big players in the industry that have obviously seen this happen to their cabinets but didnt do anything about it.

why? FAIR USE. a ddr cabinet is 6 peices of wood nailed together. nothing more. its a box. and when an arcade owner owns that box, they can do what they please with it. unfortunately i dont know the legal terms behind it, but frankly thats not the issue. the issue is the legal terms that make such a practice ILLEGAL.

...and there are none. so drop it, its dead. been dead for years. even before ITG.
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arcade owners convert cabinets all the time, but they usually replace the controls, and it's usually a generic cabinet they convert. i don't see DDR having a generic cabinet, and they were talking about the legality of the software more than the use of the cabinet for it.
*witty name*
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CreatorThomas wrote:
arcade owners convert cabinets all the time, but they usually replace the controls, and it's usually a generic cabinet they convert. i don't see DDR having a generic cabinet, and they were talking about the legality of the software more than the use of the cabinet for it.

the thread title itself debates the legality of the cabinet's usage.

also, whats the problem with the software?

ITS STEPMANIA!!

its been out for years, and no one has doggy.

i take that back, konami DID doggy. but not to rox0r/stepmania team, they doggy to andamiro for pump it up...AND LOST. which would justify the ability to make more games similar to ddr.

if konami was actually doing anything with ddr, i'd say let them sue, and for damn good reason. ITG is so similar to ddr in that there SHOULD be some kind of infringing going (however, right now i dont think there is).

but frankly konami can shove it up their asses because they arent doing anything with ddr, and ITG (in a sense) is!
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

12. PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psyton, this information does not come from ROXOR. I am, however, pre-law.

The first thing to note is that Konami does not own the patent on dancing machines in the United States, Andamiro does. In fact, Andamiro sued Konami over it.

Any DDR Cabinet other then DDRUSA is illegal in the United States, in fact most mixes will prominently display an English disclaimer stating as much.

So really what you are asking is, is it illegal to upgrade a DDRUSA? It may be illegal to upgrade an anything else, but it was also illegal to have it so who cares. Surely, every EX you have played on (unless you play in Japan) was illegal.

The answer here is no. If you purchase a DDRUSA the game now becomes your property. It is legal to remove the software and have a black screen. It is also legal to put Street Fighter two inside it. And, likewise, it is legal to put an upgrade kit in their - be it StepMania or ITG.

Now what about violating the Andamiro patent for dancing simulationg games? Honestly, it is quite possible ITG did this. It is also quite possible the issue has been settled.

Andamiro will be manufacturing the ITG2 Standalone arcade machines. In a sense, Andamiro now has a complete monopoly over both living series.

It is totally possible that ROXOR just made a deal to manufacture a machine through them. I have a hunch this might have been the conversation, however:

Andamiro: Hey we see your game is popular we are going to sue you.
ROXOR: Hey you know what, why don't you just make the cabinet for all future versions of the game and take the profits instead?
Andamiro: Sounds like a plan.

This is wild speculation. Suffice it to be said that something was settled, because ROXOR has no legal problems at the moment. Certainly, they never had problems with Konami, only Andamiro would have a case.
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPF5.Kiba wrote:
Psyton, this information does not come from ROXOR. I am, however, pre-law.

The first thing to note is that Konami does not own the patent on dancing machines in the United States, Andamiro does. In fact, Andamiro sued Konami over it.

Any DDR Cabinet other then DDRUSA is illegal in the United States, in fact most mixes will prominently display an English disclaimer stating as much.

So really what you are asking is, is it illegal to upgrade a DDRUSA? It may be illegal to upgrade an anything else, but it was also illegal to have it so who cares. Surely, every EX you have played on (unless you play in Japan) was illegal.

The answer here is no. If you purchase a DDRUSA the game now becomes your property. It is legal to remove the software and have a black screen. It is also legal to put Street Fighter two inside it. And, likewise, it is legal to put an upgrade kit in their - be it StepMania or ITG.

Now what about violating the Andamiro patent for dancing simulationg games? Honestly, it is quite possible ITG did this. It is also quite possible the issue has been settled.

Andamiro will be manufacturing the ITG2 Standalone arcade machines. In a sense, Andamiro now has a complete monopoly over both living series.

It is totally possible that ROXOR just made a deal to manufacture a machine through them. I have a hunch this might have been the conversation, however:

Andamiro: Hey we see your game is popular we are going to sue you.
ROXOR: Hey you know what, why don't you just make the cabinet for all future versions of the game and take the profits instead?
Andamiro: Sounds like a plan.

This is wild speculation. Suffice it to be said that something was settled, because ROXOR has no legal problems at the moment. Certainly, they never had problems with Konami, only Andamiro would have a case.

there*
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
sherl0k
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

14. PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiba, what about international copyright law? Doesn't the Berne Convention play into this at all?

Your post makes the most sense out of everything I've read, but like everyone else, I *would* like an official statement from Roxor out of my own curiosity, and also to shut everyone up about this issue.

[quote:ed1f6848c5=\\\"jaeness\\\"]get your change from obama, he apparently has tons of it.[/quote]
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
J. S. Mill
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

15. PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it that is being infringed upon?

Surely not the music, which though copyright is legally liscenced to Roxor. The game is as different from DDR as World of Warcraft is from Everquest, and the patent against the concept is not international. Further, ROXOR does not sell anything even related to DDR Cabinets. They sell a software kit. In court they could easily claim they just were selling it to people expecting them to use it as paperweights, if there was even a problem with modifying cabinets (which there is not).

The only people with a claim would be the patent owners, Andamiro. As I suggested, that seems to have been resolved. Further, if such an arrangement as I have hyopthesized was indeed agreed upon, it would be in the interest of both companies to keep it quite.

Hence why you might not have an offical statement.
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to remind everyone that although copyrights are generally international, patents and trademarks are generally not.

Machines can't be copyrighted. Copyright protects artistic creations, data, creative works, music, artwork, software etc... but not physical objects.

Furthermore, copyright only protects against the copying of protected works. ITG1 doesn't copy anybody's hardware, and ITG1 doesn't include any Konami hardware at all. ITG1's hardware is just a computer, some decals, some cables, and a couple of USB ports. Roxor (with ITG1) at least doesn't sell anything even remotely resembling Konami hardware -- they merely sell something that is compatible with Konami hardware, which is 100% legal.

If anything, ITG2 would be on much shakier legal ground than ITG1 would be, because they'll be selling something that actually does resemble Konami hardware -- were it not for the fact that the legal issues regarding that have already been settled between Konami and Andamiro.

So, ITG1, 100% legal. ITG2, 100% legal.
View users profile Send private message
Rancidfish
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Intel sue Microsoft for making an operating system that runs on their hardware? Can Microsoft sue Blizzard for making a game that runs in their OS?

Hence... Konami can't sue Roxor for making a game that runs in their cabinet. As mentioned above, legal issues only arise if they started making their own cabinets... hence Andamiro is the one covering that issue.
Staff Member
Staff Member

18. PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toady007 wrote:

The problem here is that nobody outside of Roxor employees and say maybe five people actually care about the legality of the stystem.

You're about two years late for this debate, btw. It's been covered to death and back.

Soooo... if the question has been asked and debated a lot... and it seems to keep popping up... then... nobody cares about it? And they shouldn't write a FAQ?

sorry, it's not the same 5 people raising legality issues if there is such a cranky "gawd, we've already talked about this to death" reaction every time it comes up.

SPF5.kiba wrote:
extremely good information

I agree, and I pretty much was beginning to think that was the reasoning behind ROXOR being able to use DDR cabinets... and I hadn't thought of the collaberation with Andamiro as a way to keep the other big boy of dancey game from getting upset.

But lemme ask you this: What happened of someone else made a cabinet that used Andamiro cabinets but not andamiro software? Like, somone made "shake your moneymaker" and you switched out the guts of a premier 2 to play this game... wouldn't Andamiro take some sort of legal action if you hadn't consulted them first?

The sherl0k Hat wrote:
Your (spf5.kiba) post makes the most sense out of everything I've read, but like everyone else, I *would* like an official statement from Roxor out of my own curiosity, and also to shut everyone up about this issue.

Well stated. Hence my whiny desires for a faq, or an official statement from ROXOR. I'd react much better to ItG savvy peeps saying "they made a press release here *link*" than "Stop... asking... that... *electronic glare*"

But yea. I'm still weirded out by Roxor's handling of the situation. There is obvious interest in the "how is this legal" thing... and roxor hasn't made any sort of official statement to dispell rumors and speculation. Granted, there is no real precedent for cannibalizing a dancing cabinet.... and given that most of the things being copied are mixes of DDR that weren't supposed to exist on the US shores anyways, it's a very unique situation. I'm just worried because it /seems/ like ItG is about as legal as your gardner and calls forth the same sort of "it's impolite/trite to ask questions about that" attitude from the ItG community.

rampage
Administrator
Administrator

19. PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all armchair lawyer talk without any legal basis of fact. Unless we hear from Roxor or Konami with an official statement toward legalities, it's all mental masturbation. It may be satisfying for a few minutes, but ultimately it's not accomplishing much.

I'm as guilty as anybody for arguing these points, but I'm ending it here.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: