Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

RedOctane opens GETUPMOVE.COM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prizm
Trick Member
Trick Member

40. PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, who wants to lose weight? Man, I want to GAIN weight. I've got a fast metabolism so I can't put on weight....and DDR just makes that worse laugh.gif

Quote from GETMOVE.COM:
"Tanya is working with RedOctane to educate Americans about a fun new way to lose weight while using an Ignition(tm) Dance Pad."

Sooo...if you DON'T use an Ignition pad, then you won't lose weight as fast? E15.gif

Prizm
View users profile Send private message
sandm000
Basic Member
Basic Member

41. PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You mean that people over 18 play this game?!?!

What is that supposed to mean?

View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
IguanaGrrl
Staff Member
Staff Member

42. PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandm000 wrote:
Quote:
You mean that people over 18 play this game?!?!

What is that supposed to mean?

It was meant as a very obvious joke on the fact that so many of the younger people on these forums have a tendency to forget that there is a large amount of people older than them that play and often do so for reasons other than competition.
Trick Member
Trick Member

43. PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man... you are makin me feel old IguanaGrrl E15.gif

but hey...take this however you want to... some people are offended at this marketing, some people think it is great... matters not now.. it is out there...and i just hope a lot of good comes from it!!

(mainly, i hope it helps me..hahaha)

I luv DDR, always have, and now I have a goal to go with it!!
Staff Member
Staff Member

44. PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FaerieLink wrote:
man... you are makin me feel old IguanaGrrl E15.gif

Hey now, I'm making myself feel old too. I turn 27 on this upcoming Sunday. E10.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

45. PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaeNoDa wrote:
If there's something as fun as DDR that will help people get off their butts and do a little exercise, then more power to RedOctane for wanting to sponsor it. They've put in a lot of money to see this campaign move, even if it is to help promote DDR and their pad sales. You cannot deny that the Ignition is the best soft pad around biggrin.gif (Haha, I AAA'd Jam and Marmalade on heavy ver. Max2 using one).

Okay, I don't have any beef with raising awareness of the potential benefits of DDR. And I don't have a problem with you telling your story, even though it looks (according to photos) like most of your playing happened at the arcades and nowhere near an Ignition pad.

But let's look at some analogous campaigns for a moment to see the issues I have in the presentation of the Get Up and Move campaign.

Walk into a school or a library and you'll see those "READ" posters everywhere with celebrities, and Muppets, and cartoon characters. Note, however, that they don't say "READ Houghton Mifflin Because Our Bindings Are Better" or "READ Scholastic Because We Paid For This Poster". See, the posters promote literacy without being brand specific and to the benefit of all publishers. Or how about "Got Milk?" While the ads promote the dairy industry as a whole, they don't say, "Got Galliker's Milk?" or "Got Valley Farms Milk?", which would be brand promotion.

I just don't like it when marketing is disguised as a genuine piece of information. At least in periodicals, they are compelled to write "Advertisement" at the top of the pages for inserts.

If Red Octane were working with other Bemani equipment suppliers in this effort, that'd be cool with me, because then we wouldn't have to suspend disbelief long enough to be tricked into thinking people put the trademark (tm) symbol in their essays. It would be about the fitness and about the type of activity more than about a single supplier. In the end, all suppliers would benefit as increasing numbers of people tried out this "new" thing.

But as it is now, the whole site could be replaced with the following sentence: "Red Octane - other pads leave you fat and us poor."

CF cbox mods and more at the 'Pad'
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
thedarktemplar
Trick Member
Trick Member

46. PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the prob with it gettin more popular in the us is that more people will be wanting licenced songs, so that means less jp music...
t3nacious
Trick Member
Trick Member

47. PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well according to your "beef", if a lemonade stand was on the corner, it should say "drink lemonade" instead of "get your lemonade here". How retarded is that. Sorry, quit trying to avoid the conformity and simply give in.
Empty_One
Basic Member
Basic Member

48. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinistar wrote:

Okay, I don't have any beef with raising awareness of the potential benefits of DDR. And I don't have a problem with you telling your story, even though it looks (according to photos) like most of your playing happened at the arcades and nowhere near an Ignition pad.

But let's look at some analogous campaigns for a moment to see the issues I have in the presentation of the Get Up and Move campaign.

Walk into a school or a library and you'll see those "READ" posters everywhere with celebrities, and Muppets, and cartoon characters. Note, however, that they don't say "READ Houghton Mifflin Because Our Bindings Are Better" or "READ Scholastic Because We Paid For This Poster". See, the posters promote literacy without being brand specific and to the benefit of all publishers. Or how about "Got Milk?" While the ads promote the dairy industry as a whole, they don't say, "Got Galliker's Milk?" or "Got Valley Farms Milk?", which would be brand promotion.

I just don't like it when marketing is disguised as a genuine piece of information. At least in periodicals, they are compelled to write "Advertisement" at the top of the pages for inserts.

If Red Octane were working with other Bemani equipment suppliers in this effort, that'd be cool with me, because then we wouldn't have to suspend disbelief long enough to be tricked into thinking people put the trademark (tm) symbol in their essays. It would be about the fitness and about the type of activity more than about a single supplier. In the end, all suppliers would benefit as increasing numbers of people tried out this "new" thing.

But as it is now, the whole site could be replaced with the following sentence: "Red Octane - other pads leave you fat and us poor."

I couldn't agree more. The site is little more than a brochure for their pads. I must say though, the fact that the site exists, and the publicity it has gotten from slashdot and the like, motivated me to actually get off my butt and give it a shot.

Since I'm home all day watching my six month old, I've been looking for a fun way to workout at home with out spending hundreds of dollars on a treadmill. I've found it, and I have their site to thank. Yes, I went on the cheap and picked up the madcatz pads, but I looked at it as a trial, and if I really like the game, then I will upgrade. May go with the RedOctane, may not. But one things for sure, the question would have never popped into my head if not for their site.
Surefire
Trick Member
Trick Member

49. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IguanaGrrl wrote:

OMGZ!!!11!!1! You mean that people over 18 play this game?!?!

E10.gif

My mom is 50 and even she played a couple rounds of basic next to me. She used to think it was this random game I was obsessed with until she saw me playing. Now she sees it as more of a source of non-argument inducing excercise.

I love my mommy. E4.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Malcore
Trick Member
Trick Member

50. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem today in america is that nobody wants to exercise. Exercise, even just a little will help you out healtwise. I'm glad to see DDR gaining popularity as a tool for exercise, considering video games were never synonymous with it.
RedChucks
Trick Member
Trick Member

51. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I THINK I HAVE THE RECORD FOR WEIGHT LOSS W/ DDR AND THE LONGEST INTRO WITH ALL CAPS!

Nah, seriously though, DDR marketed as a weight loss tool has already been done in japan, or being, not sure of the success. So it's about time the US get around to doing it. And as a business advertising something they're SUPPOSSED to try and make money, that's what businesses do...and yeah, kids nowadays hate moving. I KNOW, i used to be one. But i know they do like video games and being the center of attention...and that's one thing DDR does that no other method of excercise does. Well...not that i know of anyways. so...someone beat my Weight loss record!! It's like oni! By the way i'm matt on the testimonial thingy.

Chucks, The Coolest Kicks in the Cave.

Member and Co-Founder of Team Red Stuff

Proud Member of: TSSF Jr. Edition.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
thedarktemplar
Trick Member
Trick Member

52. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote= Empty_One]
cheap and picked up the madcatz pads, but I looked at it as a trial, and if I really like the game, then I will upgrade. [/quote]

Congradulations, u just wasted 10 bucks!!!!

(My mad cats pad broke in 1 week E2.gif )
Thomas Hobbes
Trick Member
Trick Member

53. PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that girl from a tournament I went to in San Francisco (B3). It was pretty cool meeting her and she was really good at DDR. I wasn't that great back then, and I admired anyone who could do Heavy since I was just doing Standard at home and at the arcades.

It was really cool hearing about this on a Bemani radio show (Orange Lounge) and I thought it was cool.

Anyways, DDR is pretty good for you because it does in fact give you lots of cardiovascular exercise. I usually play twice a week at the arcades and every other day on the weekdays. It usually ends up where I play for an hour or two a day, 4 times a week and I play even more at the arcades!

I was fat and I played DDR because I loved playing it at home on my Jap. imports for PSX. It was fun and I heard about this site. I went to Machines Locations and found out about arcades and I started going. It's really cool that I lost a lot of weight playing DDR! I lost around 12 pounds playing, and I'm still going and playing!

I like how they're doing this, but what bugs me is how Red Octane keeps plugging their Ignition pads. I lost weight on DDR WITHOUT an Ignition pad, but on kind of sucky soft pads and at the arcade!

| Pics | Play-Asia |
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
jeremyh
Basic Member
Basic Member

54. PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Hi there Reply with quote

[unlurk]
I'm 32 and my wife's 34 and we play DDR on PS2, and have been for about a year now. So we'll have none of this talk about it only being for people under 18. E15.gif
[/unlurk]
Empty_One
Basic Member
Basic Member

55. PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedarktemplar wrote:
Empty_One wrote:

cheap and picked up the madcatz pads, but I looked at it as a trial, and if I really like the game, then I will upgrade.

Congradulations, u just wasted 10 bucks!!!!

(My mad cats pad broke in 1 week E2.gif )

Let's see, here are my choices:

Buy a dirt cheap pad for 10 bucks, not like the game, and toss the POS
or
Buy a really expensive pad for a game I've never tried, hate the game, and try to resell a used pad

I'd rather chalk the 10 bucks up as a loss, thanks.

BTW, I like the game, and I plan on keeping my crappy pad untill it dies, then upgrading.

Sorry to hear about your loss. biggrin.gif
jraleigh67
Trick Member
Trick Member

56. PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i first got my ddr, i bought a $20 soft pad [forgot name but box has this butterfly woman on it =p]; anyway it lasted for quite a long time, until eventually i bought an ignition pad and i'm quite satisfied
Goatse
Basic Member
Basic Member

57. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: f@#$ Jared! Reply with quote

ugh, mentioning Jared Fogle, in the same post as ddr is
blasphmey, that lard buttocks's story is well knowen here in
Bloomington, as well as the fact that he only ate at subway
because he lived in an apartment right next to it, it's all of a
thirty second walk, and was to lazy to go anywhere else...

seriously thou, this guy is a loser and shouldn't be mentioned
in the same breath as ddr
gojeta4
Basic Member
Basic Member

58. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: f@#$ u Reply with quote

hey #@*$ you u mother #$@%
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IguanaGrrl
Staff Member
Staff Member

59. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: f@#$ u Reply with quote

gojeta4 wrote:
hey #@*$ you u mother #$@%

I really hope that you aren't here just to cause trouble.

Go read the FAQ.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: