Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Konami of Japan Reports over 6.5 Million Copies of DDR Sold
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IguanaGrrl
Staff Member
Staff Member

0. PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Konami of Japan Reports over 6.5 Million Copies of DDR Sold Reply with quote

According to a press release from Konami of Japan, over 6.5 million copies of DDR have been sold since the series debut in 1998. The European market accounts for 1.5 million units, 1 million for the United States and the remaining 4 million through Japanese markets.

Thanks goes to Cutriss for the link.
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's that bucket-thing the "Dance Dance Revolution Beginners Pack? Does any of youz guyz know what that is?
View users profile Send private message
Neon Kel
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think sales are pretty OK in the US, knowing that DDR isn't mainstreamd here. But i think it could be much better.
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! *Clapclap*... I didn't know that more were sold in Europe... (I'm most likely just stupid, but... yeah)
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YaY for KoJ! thumb.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bucket contains a copy of DDR Party Collection and a dance mat. How big is the bucket? Beats me but I´m sure it´s big enough not to damage the pad when folded in.
t3nacious
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand, they announce it as if it's a good thing and they are doing well, just as they tell us that they will stop the continuation of ddr. Jerks!
Syxx
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imagine if everone had original copies, there'd be like 2347283590 million sold. =P
4goodor4awesome
Basic Member
Basic Member

8. PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Weird...only 1 million...i guess i just thought America was more "jap" than that. I want to know how many Arcade machines we have and Japan has and Europe has. Im kinda sure we would win since Japan is going more beatmania now.
DizzyBum
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4goodor4awesome wrote:
That's Weird...only 1 million...i guess i just thought America was more "jap" than that. I want to know how many Arcade machines we have and Japan has and Europe has. Im kinda sure we would win since Japan is going more beatmania now.

Nope.

I think it accounts for all versions of DDR for all consoles and arcade versions.
IguanaGrrl
Staff Member
Staff Member

10. PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DizzyBum wrote:

Nope.

I think it accounts for all versions of DDR for all consoles and arcade versions.

Actually, the article specified home versions, so I would imagine that these numbers would only include those for home.
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 million copies for 5 different DDR games isn't half bad.
Agilab
Contributor
Contributor

12. PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad DDR has pretty much come to a stop, arcade wise atleast....
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: DDR hits 6.5 million units worldwide Reply with quote

Syxx wrote:
Just imagine if everone had original copies, there'd be like 2347283590 million sold. =P

I agree. DDR is more widely pirated than any other game that I can think of. Today, all of my Bemani games are legit ( 7 ). But back when DDR 5th CS was brand new I was playing a pirate copy. One of my friends ( the one who introduced me to Bemani ) took a trip to China and returned with a copy of the latest DDR game. And I didn't even know it had come out yet! So we played it, I loved it, and I never questioned where the original copy was. He had originals for 1-4 anyway. He told me that he had bought all of his games when he was out of the country and I assumed that was the only way to obtain them. KDEA ( then KOA ) hadn't sold DDR USA yet and I had no idea that online retailers specialized in importing products from Japan. Now I know that I can point-and-click to order DDR Extreme but I didn't always know that. Actually, I even know of a store within driving distance where I can buy DDR Extreme off the shelf! ( I did! )

I think the pirated copies of DDR are usually out of region copies, like pirate Japanese games in North America or Europe. And it is hard to force people to buy legit copies of those.

Agilab - Yeah, keyword - 'arcade-wise'. The existing DDR units are still moneymakers though even as they breakdown. Its sad to think that the number of DDR machines in the world is probably shrinking right now. E2.gif
Kerf
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syxx wrote:

Hahaha, probably.
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
moojoe
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be impossible to coutn how many machines are actually in america. because all 6th mix(possibly 7th, froget) and higher are illigal in the US. theyre just shipped from japan, yep, DDREX was never actually released in the US. this makes it hell for arcade workers such as me because the entire manual is in JAPANESE!!! grrr evil not being able to read the manualness... frust.gif
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

16. PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moojoe wrote:
it would be impossible to coutn how many machines are actually in america. because all 6th mix(possibly 7th, froget) and higher are illigal in the US. theyre just shipped from japan, yep, DDREX was never actually released in the US. this makes it hell for arcade workers such as me because the entire manual is in JAPANESE!!! grrr evil not being able to read the manualness... frust.gif

Wrong.
All machine's in the US are illegal except for USA/US1 Mix.
Solo 2000, 3rd, 3rd Kv1/2, 2nd, etc. etc. are all illegal in the US.

Amusing Pictures: lolddrfreak | Road of LoQ
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Xbox Live Gamertag
moojoe
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woah....i thought it was only 6th mix up that was
Staff Member
Staff Member

18. PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freak wrote:
Syxx wrote:
Hahaha, probably.
That works out to approximately 390K copies per person on the planet.

Jomeeko Mumbarela in Zimbabwe may not know when his next meal will be, but he sure knows how to tear up Max300. E15.gif

Sentient Mode is capable...
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
skie
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

19. PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Konami of Europe put out a similar press release... don't have a link to the actual release but a newsfeed article about it is here. It talks about the upcoming Dancing Stage and Karaoke Stage briefly, but otherwise it's pretty much the same thing you've already seen.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: