Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

EGM, MTV game of the millennium poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gruffian
Trick Member
Trick Member

40. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they showed you who was winning then why would you need to watch the show?
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Stern vs The DDR FCC
Trick Member
Trick Member

41. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could just show you until the last few days before it airs (we have almost two months).

Not to mention they will be covering a lot of other things.

And I'm not saying they are supposed to show them.

They shouldn't show them at all. But I do believe only 1 vote is getting counted. I could be wrong, but it's easy and funny to set up and watch all these hits from an IP get only 1 entry for all their effort.

Some of you can vote stuff, but the risk is not worth the effort. Like I said, pop culture primadonna. It would seem proper to trick the "geeks" into clicking 1/2 their winter away.
Administrator
Administrator

42. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat Astrophy wrote:
They shouldn't show them at all. But I do believe only 1 vote is getting counted. I could be wrong, but it's easy and funny to set up and watch all these hits from an IP get only 1 entry for all their effort.

Some of you can vote stuff, but the risk is not worth the effort. Like I said, pop culture primadonna. It would seem proper to trick the "geeks" into clicking 1/2 their winter away.

If only one vote counted, why would they say you can vote again? Anyway, true geeks don't click 1/2 their winter away--they write a script to do it for them.
Trick Member
Trick Member

43. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Dogg wrote:
If only one vote counted, why would they say you can vote again? Anyway, true geeks don't click 1/2 their winter away--they write a script to do it for them.

Good point about the geek thing biggrin.gif

They would say you could vote again so they could laugh.

Try this one:

3x5 card. Write "You can turn over to see the side of the card you have not yet seen" on BOTH SIDES.

The first time you do it, you can be assured that it worked. You CAN do it again if you want....

You CAN vote all you want, but they aren't obligated to make it count.

They could be tallying the votes each time, but if I was doing it, I would let you think you could do it over and over and just log it once.

I could definitely be wrong, but I could see MTV having fun doing this.
Trick Member
Trick Member

44. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. MTV sucks and probably has already picked what will win, we just get to vote to get their site traffic.

I agree with this statement. Why else would they not allow you to check the current standings? Because they don't want people to get all pissed when they announce Halo is the number one pick while the polls clearly show DDR, or whatever ends up coming out on top.

So I don't even know if the votes are being counted, period... regardless of whether they're counting more than once. I mean, just imagine if they were all being counted and they announced the results on their show: "Yes, DDR came out on top with 400 million votes while Halo trailed with a mere 250 million. And according to our estimates, roughly 4 billion people play video games."
Administrator
Administrator

45. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let's say MTV has fun with this. Let's say they don't count, and at the end of the poll, Halo wins by a landslide. Would they be laughing privately at the stupid people who voted multiple times? Would they say on TV "the freaks who play DDR voted multiple times, but we got the last laugh"? In either case, would it be so bad?
Trick Member
Trick Member

46. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not at all! If you want to keep voting, and you are happy, more power to you!

A moment enjoyed is never a moment wasted.
Administrator
Administrator

47. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, ok, so me, being the geek that I am, went to other MTV sites where they have polls.

http://www.mtv.com/onair/roadrules/season11/
http://www.mtv.com/onair/trl/

The TRL website has a poll at the bottom "Who are you looking forward to seeing next week on Spankin' New Music Week?" Using the enter trick, I singlehandedly moved G-Unit from 7% to 12%. I know this poll has nothing to do with the video game poll, but it tells us a few things. MTV uses the same poll system across their site for all their polls. The TRL poll counts multiple votes from the same IP. It would be a small jump to say that the video game poll uses the same system, and also counts multiple votes from the same IP.

Last edited by J Dogg on Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Stern vs The DDR FCC
Trick Member
Trick Member

48. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I am willing to make that small jump. Your research has convinced me to vote stuff to try and get DDR where it belongs as #1. E4.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

49. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

either way im vote whoring, I post on ddrfreak, of course I want ddr to be the winner.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
pyrex
Trick Member
Trick Member

50. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: ...... Reply with quote

rofl, i just went out to the mall for a few hours and left the enter key taped down E10.gif so thats prolly god knows how many votes E10.gif

View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Daniel
Trick Member
Trick Member

51. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal intituition tells me that that MTV doesn't know how to set up a poll correctly. However if the DDR votes gets too high, they will probably alter their system and just let Halo win. I think the best thing to do is to just vote about 20 times and tell your friends to vote DDR.
View users profile Send private message Send email
CourtJester
Trick Member
Trick Member

52. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe we should remember that MTV sucks. I hope they don't make a mockery of something we all love. Perhaps not winning will be a blessing in disguise.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
iceburg23
Basic Member
Basic Member

53. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did that hold enter trick once and i can't do it nemore... wtF?
View users profile Send private message
Chaddlyr3
Trick Member
Trick Member

54. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or maybe we should remember that MTV sucks. I hope they don't make a mockery of something we all love. Perhaps not winning will be a blessing in disguise.

I agree I don't trust the mother of all pop culture with ddr disgust.gif
If it wins we will either have
1)Like courtjester said a mockery
or
2)A swarm of main-stream slobs making ddr the new fad, cause severe n00bs swarms frust.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Travis4
Basic Member
Basic Member

55. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Lets Be Honest Reply with quote

We all know tha MTV is driven by enterprise, so why should this show be any different. When i heard about the poll i was like all of you and i spent half of my evening voting for DDR. Still i'n my opinion, the winner has already been chosen and the poll is just for publicity. Still,......I HOPE WE WIN! :frust:
YoshiFan
Trick Member
Trick Member

56. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="[Team Pirate] Gruffian"]A few things to note. 1. MTV sucks and probably has already picked what will win, we just get to vote to get their site traffic. quote]

I wouldn't doubt it. Let me mention what happened a few years ago:

In early 1999, someone got the idea that it would be a funny joke to put the New Kids On The Block video "Hangin Tough" on Total Request Live. Word of the plan spread through e-mail and it was decided that on a certain day in March, everyone would go to MTV.com and vote for the video. Since that obviously wasn't one of the choices to vote for, their was an option to vote for any video where you wrote in the artist name and the video name. Back then, it did show you the results when you voted. On that day when everyone voted for the New Kids video, you could see that the "Other" category had 66% of the votes while the other videos like N Sync and Backstreet Boys had around 15% each.

Guess what happened? They didn't play Hangin Tough even though it was obviously got the most votes. People were furious and the next day, MTV decided to play the video just so their fans wouldn't think the polls were rigged. Within the next week, the poll results were no longer shown after you voted for a song.

I wouldn't be surprised if they decided who would be #1 by what company decided to give them the most money.
View users profile Send private message
DJ SODO
Trick Member
Trick Member

57. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to the guy who figured out the enter trick: you rule! E4.gif (enter X 847738598752) im turning off all my instant messengers, and since i have a popup blocker, i wont have to worry about a million web pages open or another window taking the focus after the enter command is applied to it when my legs have fallen off after i play ddr with my friends till 5AM (its a friday-friends-bonding thing E15.gif ) so other ddr freaks, be smart, close everything first and get a popup blocker BEFORE taping enter overnight!

thanx for listinin,
Neniv

P.S. The only good thing bout Xbox is that its got ddr now so *uses mega ultra DDR Left-Right stomp energy move on Halo cyborg thing* take that!!!
LeftDownUpRight
Basic Member
Basic Member

58. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the "enter" trick, but it nearly didn't work!

I tried about 20 times (got the little square around Submit and hit and held down enter) but of those 20, it only hit multiple times ONCE!

Maybe the website is recoding the poll or something so the cheat doesnt work... frust.gif

Anyone else having this problem?

EDIT: I tried a few more tests after this, and it seems like the enter cheat only works when I don't select anything in the poll. Hm.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
DJ SODO
Trick Member
Trick Member

59. PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theyre not recoding the poll, i just tried it, r u sure ur clicking the ddr bubble then holding enter? dont go down to submit or anything, just click the bubble, and hold enter, hope that helps nerd.gif

EDIT: wierd, its not working anymore, maybe i should clear cookies and history? oh well, i still have 4 more computers to do that on! laugh.gif
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: