Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Ever wanted to be a DJ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkSakura
Maniac Member
Maniac Member

20. PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and foremost, let me make a statement.

There has never been any rivalry between Orange Lounge Radio and DDR Freak radio. IguanaGrrl has been very respectful of what we wanted to do with OLR and waited for an entire year before doing anything to expand the station, which gave us ample time to build our listener base. I am personally VERY grateful for that.

In case some of you haven't noticed, we've even mentioned DDR Freak Radio and a few others a few times on our station. No one is competing with anyone else. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. Heck, IguanaGrrl has been a guest on OLR a couple of times now!

Now, I would like to volunteer my time to do a show for DDR Freak Radio. (I think most of you, by now, know my credentials. E15.gif ) This won't necessarily be a regular thing, but I'd like to contribute to this idea as well. I'm going to be doing a special broadcast on random Fridays on Orange Lounge Radio (times to be announced later), that will be reaired on DDR Freak Radio. It may not be as naughty as my Tuesday show, but it will still be just as fun.

I would very much like it if our loyal Orange Lounge listeners would not attack DDR Freak Radio. What each station does is unique and is not based on what the other does. OLR is mixing up our lineup too, and we like to think that we're each diverse enough to keep our listeners and can happily coexist.
Trick Member
Trick Member

21. PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f3lixx, it's spelt "sufficient." You are a master of the English language.

biggrin.gif

But anyway, is the whole analog intermediary necessary? What exactly are you looking for? I could mix a shoutcast stream with commentary, sure, but all this talk of actual vinyl seems intimidating, as if you're asking for something else altogether....so, in short, are you?
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gogo
Trick Member
Trick Member

22. PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[BOOM: Edit, I missed a post from the runner of OL so I thought a certain idiot was actually involved with that station. I retract statementage.]

Dance Masters: JPMax Single-Light. USMax Single-Light, Single-Standard. JPMax2 Single-Light.

Onis: USMax Lesson Oni. JPMax2 MoreLight, BeForU,
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
GrRuMaBeAR
Trick Member
Trick Member

23. PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a bet! thumb.gif I got that drifting away on vynil along with some quadra. I probably couldnt do a full-fleged bemani-tributed mix on my turns, but i can do something that will attract ears on acid pro. When im done where do i send it? E4.gif
Basic Member
Basic Member

24. PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've created some kinda ddrmax nonstop, but how am i gonna send the mix? E19.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Medieval
Trick Member
Trick Member

25. PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reign A.K.A. Black Plague wrote:
Medieval wrote:
I do have a 3 pack of Drifting Away remixes, the So Deep vinyl, and the original Dutch Force - Deadline on vinyl)

Um...Just out of curiosity, you willing to sell those? If not, could you PM me where you got those?

Uh, no. I'm not selling.

Try ebay or htfr.com
Medieval
Trick Member
Trick Member

26. PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

f3lixx wrote:
They have tables that emulate vinyl very well..vinyl is not necessary anymore.

If by "very well" you mean "poor to mediocre", then ok, maybe.

There are aspects of turntablism that you simply cannot reproduce with an MP3 or CD deck, such as looking at the record itself using the target light to determine where the break ends is or where the hook starts, and the warmth of vinyl, and the surface hiss and pops (as opposed to the 'digital perfection' of CDs.) This is what DJs live for.

If you've never gripped or twisted the spindle, or pushed or nudged a label to get the tracks beatmixed just right, then you can't, won't, and don't understand.

I do have to admit that some pretty righteous stuff comes out only on CD, though. For example, Loving You is a Marc et Claude tune. My favorite version, the Rob Searle Club Mix (yes, the one that was pillaged and put on DDR), was tragically only released on the Dance Division label, on the Talla 2XLC vs. DuMonde 2xCD release. When I want to mix this in on a set, I've got a Traktor DJ station set up on channels 1 and 4 on my mixer, and I can mix in MP3s, but as anyone who has been to my parties can attest, I try to play as much as I can from vinyl, for the reasons stated above.
mrdsnowbdr
Basic Member
Basic Member

27. PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Who cares if its cd or vinyl... a DJ is a DJ Reply with quote

[If by "very well" you mean "poor to mediocre", then ok, maybe.]

I use the Pioneer CDDJ1000 and have no problems with it. It is used by many top dj’s in the world, because of its quality and features. There are so much more you can do with cd’s than you can with old fashioned vinyl.

Who cares about what you can ‘see on the vinyl’ when you can just fast forward thru the whole song within seconds to find the spot you want to be at. If you like vinyl, fine, more power to you, but don’t say that vinyl is what ‘what dj’s live for’ I have been in the game now for 4 years, and have seen the start of cd turntables, and am glad that I was one of the first to start using them

Yes, I have used vinyl, and I thought it was ok, but you have to have money to throw down a 3-hour set, where as with cd’s all you have to have is about 50 blanks, and your set. Top Dj’s use cd’s as well as at top clubs, that’s all they will use. But again, some dj’s wont mix on anything other than vinyl, and some will only touch cd’s. Cd’s are the future, and there is a reason why vinyl is getting harder and harder to find.

I hate hissing. I hate Cracks. I hate scratching. I hate pops. Don’t used phrases like “this is what dj’s live for,” because again, I have been a dj for 4 years, and I don’t live for it… In fact… I can think of a great number of people that don’t. I live for the crowd and the music. Not arguing about something that we all have a passion for. And we need not make this an argument, because I am fine with not posting in this thread to try and prove a point that doesn’t exist...

Some people like cd’s… some people like vinyl. Don’t trash what I love, and I wont trash what you love. E1.gif
View users profile Send private message
Danceatron
Trick Member
Trick Member

Location: Opinions expressed by ads in this avatar do not represent the views of Danceatron or his affiliates.
28. PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Who cares if its cd or vinyl... a DJ is a DJ Reply with quote

mrdsnowbdr wrote:
...I have been a dj for 4 years, and I don’t live for it…
mrdsnowbdr wrote:
I hate scratching.
sounds about right E4.gif ....ahem

This is a good Idea, I'm seriously considering doing this.....
What kind of timeframe are we talking here? (As in, how long would I have to get an hour's materal + banter ready, and how often?)
Setzer
Trick Member
Trick Member

29. PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now im getting a bit confused here. what exactly do they want?
when i saw dj, i thought you meant as in just a radio type dj, pick the songs for an hour or two set and play them.
are you asking for djs as in remixing stuff? im completely lost.
ah well, ill just attempt to make something and send it in anyway.
IguanaGrrl
Staff Member
Staff Member

30. PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setzer wrote:
now im getting a bit confused here. what exactly do they want?
when i saw dj, i thought you meant as in just a radio type dj, pick the songs for an hour or two set and play them.
are you asking for djs as in remixing stuff? im completely lost.
ah well, ill just attempt to make something and send it in anyway.

I want people of all talents, so yes and yes! E1.gif
Staff Member
Staff Member

31. PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you guys that own turntables and are saying, "But the majority of Bemani stuff is only on CD/mp3 E2.gif", the Final Scratch program may be able to solve that problem.
-Mystik-
Trick Member
Trick Member

32. PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Audition was accepted, yep i'm in now so all ya'll dissin it can shaddup E13.gif Trust me, it is a lot of fun..maybe it's just cuz i'm up at 4am everyday E15.gif but yea....plus how can any of you say this is lame and yet you post on a ddr online forum......think about it, ya thought about it yet? ok good. Now i gotta get back to work (Have 68 minutes so far of my 1 1/2 hours LOL)

And for those who need help or don't get it still, All i did was take the large pile of my bemani soundtracks, get the songs from them on my comp, and make a mix...Hey Iguanagrrl, is it possible to put up my audition so they can get an idea of what to do? E19.gif E1.gif
Staff Member
Staff Member

33. PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to wait until I got another audition or two before I did that. There are several different types of auditions I'm accepting, so I'd like to have a few so people hear all different types. E1.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

34. PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IguanaGrrl wrote:
I wanted to wait until I got another audition or two before I did that. There are several different types of auditions I'm accepting, so I'd like to have a few so people hear all different types. E1.gif

sounds good to me E1.gif
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

35. PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long are you accepting audtions? I would be interested in doing it, but i'm moving into my dorm pretty soon, (but once that's all set, i'd have all day to do it) and wouldn't be able to get a decent mix to you for a couple weeks
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IguanaGrrl
Staff Member
Staff Member

36. PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not setting any timelines on this as I want everyone to submit their best work. I'll be adding DJs in as they get their auditions (and if accepted, their shows) in, so don't feel any massive pressure to get it done. This will be an ongoing thing, so if there are still people out there debating auditioning, feel free to PM me with your 'resume' whenever you feel confident enough. E1.gif
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: