Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Videos slowly coming back online
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Dogg
Administrator
Administrator

0. PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Videos slowly coming back online Reply with quote

After a very long wait, DDR Freak's extensive collection of DDR videos is finally coming back online. For now, we are releasing them in chronological order, one section at a time, to see how the server handles the load. Very special thanks to Kevin Lamothe of softwareIMPACT Networks for his generous donation of disk space and bandwidth. We have other servers/mirrors in the works, so look for improved service and speed in the future.
Basic Member
Basic Member

1. PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, I've never seen the video section b4 so im excited
View users profile Send private message
Audhumla
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I used to have all the vids dl'ed but then my cmp totally died, and I had to get a newone. VIds have been down since then, and maybe re-viewing them will inspire to to start FS again. Thanks Kevin!
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
TheManOfTheSea
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, now I can show my freestyling friend how to really dance. >:
Catastrophe
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Videos Are Back Reply with quote

Yay! Thank you ... *reads the post* Kevin Lamothe at softwareIMPACT Networks!
DDR_MAD_MAN
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: ...... Reply with quote

i havent seen the videos yet either so i want to see them O_o...glad their gonna be up again soon!
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tsinay Butterfly of AIM Ü
Trick Member
Trick Member

Location: A land full of Bulbasaurs, cute seals, and Tare Pandas! ^_^;;
6. PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see that videos are returning slowly. E1.gif

I only have some of them downloaded, since I have a crappy connection @ home ... but I'm glad to see that they are making a comeback.

Thanks y'all! E4.gif

~ Tsinay Butterfly flash.gif
DDR is a GAME, not a LIFESTYLE! E13.gif
My LiveJournal | My Xanga Thingy | AIM: Always In Motion | MY World.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
ver314
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey is the mgl ii the aftermath, gonna be on here?

It's the tournament after the disney tournament.
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's good to see the videos back up online! i've had a HD crash right before the vids were taken down, i can't wait to watch some of these again, so much fun.
Basic Member
Basic Member

9. PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to further save bandwidth, you might want to look into using FreeCache, which is so amazingly easy to do... just prefix all URLs with "http://freecache.org/" (for example, http://freecache.org/http://ddrfreak.com/videos/blahblah.avi) and it'll go into a nice large caching network automatically.

it's run by the same guys who do archive.org, so you know they have huge amounts of bandwidth available. (Large universities and ISPs and so on all work together to keep the public domain affordable for everyone!)
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
J Dogg
Administrator
Administrator

10. PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow interesting.. thanks for the link to the freecache thing. I never knew such a service existed. Anyway, I think we're ok for now. softwareIMPACT apparently has a 100 mbit connection, and we're supposed to be getting a few more mirrors in hopefully soon.
Basic Member
Basic Member

11. PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point to the freecache thing is that you don't need specific mirrors, because as more ISPs and benefactors join in, everyone who uses FreeCache will benefit from every mirror.

It's basically an idea similar to Freenet, only it just uses ordinary HTTP.

You could try just using Freecache for the primary link and then still give mirror links in case Freecache ever has availability problems (which is highly possible as more sites start using it), and just list the original source as a mirror as well.

Keep in mind that not only do the Freecache sites all have bandwidth in excess of 100mbit (since many of them are backbone servers), many of them (such as the academic sites) can also talk to each other via Internet2, which is even faster and freer. E1.gif So I don't think Freecache's bandwidth will be a big issue for a long time.
roothorick
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: BitTorrent :) Reply with quote

I can't recommend BitTorrent enough. BT is designed to take the load off of servers by having peers download from each other, a la traditional peer-to-peer networks. And it works; hell, I could probably host your entire video collection from my home server on my residential cable connection using BT. The main disadvantage is that most movie players can't play directly from a BT link, so people have to download it first. But that isn't that much of an issue, is it?

-EDIT- forgot to mention, the Shadow-Me-Twice & G-Boy Let Them Move vid and the Gareth & Louie Dynamite Rave vid have broken links on your vid page. I'm getting 404s, and a friend told me he had problems with those two too.

Last edited by roothorick on Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total
dj fluffy
Basic Member
Basic Member

13. PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the FreeCache FAQ they have a pretty good reason to use FreeCache instead of BitTorrent. Also, my experience with BitTorrent is that it works really well for a single file where there's a lot of active downloaders, but not so good for a large archive where only the most recently-posted movies have a lot of downloaders.

Since it sounds like the DDRFreak video archive is large and has basically random access patterns, BitTorrent probably wouldn't work so well.

I don't know how well FreeCache's current bandwidth and cache availability will scale, but it has the definite advantage of the distributed bandwidth being *stable*, and not requiring a lot of people accessing a single file at the same time. (Less often-accessed files will be less likely to be cached, but they're also not as big of a bandwidth concern.)

Looking at the issue of where the bandwidth actually comes from in FreeCache, it will in theory save a lot more bandwidth for the Internet as a whole than BitTorrent, since multiple users within a single ISP will get the download from the same server which will be one hop up on their "local" network, while with BitTorrent, there'll be a lot of crosstalk between ISPs, which doesn't help with the issue of expensive bandwidth, it just pushes it down a level.
The Game II
Contributor
Contributor

14. PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the start of what is hopefully a good thing. I just DL'ed Clark Kent's MIB routine (since it was the only Tournorochi one I hadn't gotten).

--GCII
v00j00
Staff Member
Staff Member

15. PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait.. Does this mean.. I have a job back!??!?!!!!??
View users profile Send private message Send email
v00j00
Staff Member
Staff Member

16. PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so yea, I still have atleast 2-3 tourney videos to make. ;D
View users profile Send private message Send email
IguanaGrrl
Staff Member
Staff Member

17. PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v00j00 wrote:
Oh, so yea, I still have atleast 2-3 tourney videos to make. ;D

OMG it's a v00jie sighting! E10.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in 9 days i'll be in college...and finally able to download videos in less than 3 hours! woohoo!
Outcome
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: About videos Reply with quote

Are there any videos going to be going up from recent tournaments as well? (After Archival stuff has been handled, ofc)

I didn't read here about any california tournaments, but it would be great to see what the SHGL players did with DDR Extreme.

Definately to see some new stuff from my favorite freestylers Mel B and Mr Wendell.

--OC
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: