Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Karaoke Revolution Announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aesir
Trick Member
Trick Member

40. PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

___chinoystylez wrote:
I don't think Karaoke Revolution will do too well in America, I mean, in Asia karaoke is everywhere, and everyone is willing to sing in front of everyone, even in the arcades, because nobody is too judgmental, in my opinion anyhow, over there, so everyone will get a kick out of this game trying to sing better than their friends over there, and also to probably get attention from a girl/guy that they could jock for a date, I've seen this happen in arcades in the Philippines and China, karaoke is the way to meet people there, hehe. However, in America, people would be too embarrased to play this game, because most people are too scared of making themselves look/sound like an idiot. Here, there is a big difference of standing out and getting attention from people who think you're good, and standing out and getting attention from people thinking what an idiot.

Although Karaoke is definitely more popular in Asia, It's not like it's not unheard of here in America. Which is a lot more popular than DDR was before coming to the states, and DDR's caught on quite nicely. You'll never know how it will do until they try it, and I think this game is a definite step in the right direction. While I don't expect to see karaoke booths and whatnot popping up all over the place, it could improve the American video game industry rather significantly. I just hope it's pretty merciful (a lot of Americans are quite vocally deprived).
View users profile Send private message Send email MSN Messenger
Kuma
Trick Member
Trick Member

41. PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just got the Dream Audition series this seems quite funny. It will all depend on the song list and if they get a big studio in on it. Jaleco got Avex Trax and as a result they had loads of popular songs on DA which pulled in the fans, oh nice graphics too.

Just so long as we don't get lumbered with STEPS again if by a very slim chance it hits over here too.
Trick Member
Trick Member

42. PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just thinking of some good songs that could make it

Changes from BMIIDX 6thstyle <Although it would probly never happen this could be like the ultra extra stage>
Dive ~Into Your Heart~ <aka english version of dive>
Colors
Stick Around <for those that don't know it, it is Scotty D the drop the bomb guy and Magu>
Jelly Kiss
Let the Snow paint me
Dynamite Rave <although I would rather not have it, it is on like everything and is widely know>

erm I am too tired to think, what other songs would you like to see that are within reason even if most of my choices are like impossible to sing.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Catastrophe
Trick Member
Trick Member

43. PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Yes! Reply with quote

mattman412 wrote:
I am just thinking of some good songs that could make it
Dive ~Into Your Heart~ <aka english version of dive>
Colors
Let the Snow paint me

YEAH YES! And there is an official Dive ~keraoke version~ that was produced way back when too!

With the combined in house musicians of Konami and Harmonix I'm sure something wonderful will happen. Though the press release says "70s, 80s, 90s, and today", which kind of implies lots of licenses, I'm sure we'll see at least one Freezepop song and at least one KO. And if Chris Child is the audio director again he'll put a song of his in too, hopefully.

BUT, we don't know much about the game yet. And I'm getting nervous since there wasn't any news from either side about what their musicians were doing. I can't imagine any music game without a song that is a world premiere ( don't count imports ). Like, Sythesized premiered on Amplitude for example. Or is every song going be sung by Jennifer Love Hewitt? E19.gif

And why is it that when it comes time to make a DDR game everyone's wish list is licensed but for Karaoke Revolution the in house stuff looks just as popular with us? E13.gif
View users profile Send private message
wicked-silence@Sv2
Trick Member
Trick Member

44. PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.konami.co.jp/am/AM/quick/html/dam.html

Fake? ::shurgs::

[blog]
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Remy
Trick Member
Trick Member

45. PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Kryptonite wrote:

Dam DDR came out in 1999. It didn't go anywhere. There were very few machines made.

There are about 100 threads about it in Other Bemani.

And it's not even close to what "Karaoke Revolution" is supposed to be.
Trick Member
Trick Member

46. PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imagine having to step cartoon heroes (speedy mix) by barbie young on oni while singing... ahhhhh...
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
burton_board
Basic Member
Basic Member

47. PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u guys actually think we r gonna be singin notes such as do re me fa so ti, if u had the sense to watch the trailer on gamespot, u r singing words, and certain words must be at a higher pich than others disgust.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email
Catastrophe
Trick Member
Trick Member

48. PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Nope Reply with quote

burton_board wrote:
u guys actually think we r gonna be singin notes such as do re me fa so ti, if u had the sense to watch the trailer on gamespot, u r singing words, and certain words must be at a higher pich than others disgust.gif

I saw another screenshot that said "Moving Lyrics Go In This Space." I'm sure we'll be singing the actual words. ( And then I started singing "Moving Lyrics Go In This Space" to the tune of London Bridge laugh.gif )

Not that I could understand your post. And I have plenty of sense thankyouverymuch.
Junior Asparagus
Administrator
Administrator

49. PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other people can confirm, but although news of this game was released and it was in the Konami brochure, this game was NOT on display at E3--or at least, I didn't see it. So we might have to wait a little while longer for more details.
Trick Member
Trick Member

50. PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game could actually become quite popular if put in the right location....like a bar.
Trick Member
Trick Member

51. PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those people looking for more info at the moment should try:

http://www.konami.com/karaokerevolution/
Trick Member
Trick Member

52. PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmmm...

This looks like it could be a tough sell. In my experience, the key to a successful karaoke session is ignorance. Ignorance of your pitiful singing ability, and the singing ability of everyone else, and the kind of suffering you're inflicting on everyone listening to you. Ideally, you're so completely oblivious to the world around you that the musical butchery goes on for hour after hour after hour, with no one daring to voice even the tiniest protest. (Yes, this actually happened at my home. Twice. I had to go to a friend's house both times just to get some dang sleep. E1.gif ) Frankly, I think it'll be a rude shock for most karaoke enthusiasts to play a game where you not only have to be on key and have to get the timing down, but you're PENALIZED for being off. ("Objective standards? For karaoke?? What, do I have to get in costume as well?")

Which, of course, means that the song selection is vitally important. Meaning that you can forget about B4U and Dynamite Rave and the like, since success requires doing the ENTIRE song, not just the ridiculously easy-to-remember parts, and also Baby Baby Give Me Love, much too high on the scale for any amateur. Ideally, the majority of songs should be slow, simple, and doable, with a few tougher nuts and a handful that only a real professional should be able to do (Celine Dion, anyone?).

Well, we'll see.

P.S. I'm never going to play this myself, but I'd love to hear of anyone else's experiences!
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
Pax
Trick Member
Trick Member

53. PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a semi-professional singer myself, I am *so* getting this game if only for one purpose: Sight-singing practice. I am hoping the equivalent of maniac mode has no lead-tones in the accompianment, as so many basic Karaoke tracks do, because that would defeat the point.
Catastrophe
Trick Member
Trick Member

54. PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: KR Will Rule Reply with quote

DKW wrote:

<stuff about how the game is going to be hard and annoying>

P.S. I'm never going to play this myself, but I'd love to hear of anyone else's experiences!

I'm sure there will be some way for designers to put a check on the difficulty or the sensitivity of the match. I can't imagine having multiple levels of difficulty for the same song. How exactly would a light version of a song differ from the maniac version? Add more words? E19.gif That doesn't make any sense. You could have alternate versions of songs, like a speedier remix of something, but that'd be a different song altogether. Some songs will be harder than others for sure though.

And about what you said about B4U and other Naoki songs being too hard. Heh. Nope. I have B4U 100% committed to memory. I could so Keraoke that song even without the audio! And maybe even without the video too! If BBGYL were on there I could do that one too if I were allowed to take it down an octave. riiight.gif

Its funny that you mention the average American's lack of innate vocal talent. You know, because this is ddrfreak. You can probably be safe making the same assumption about our dancing skillz as well. I mean, here we have a game that requires us to put the dual-shock2 down and - get this - stand up! Not only that but we have to move around for 90 seconds! My word! What workout for some people! But as if that wasn't enough we're supposed to look rediculous while play hopscotch in place! OH! And to top it all off you need to buy a special controller just to suffer a game of Dance Dance Revolution. So what are you supposed to do when you show your friends? The music isn't mainstream, you look like klutz, and you paid more money for the game and the controller than your friend did for his new game ( that sold a million copies ). A game like that will never catch on, right? Americans only like a game that has the opposites of those characteristics? E13.gif

( Since sarcasm doesn't travel over the internet: DDR spreds mostly from friend to friend, some people choose to spend up to $100 bucks on a deluxe version of their dance pad when a $25 version is availible, some people play for a workout and others for the challenge, not being mainstream is a plus, and playing DDR last November on the Morning Show was probably the coolest thing I've ever done. )
redviper
Trick Member
Trick Member

55. PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remy wrote:
Dark Kryptonite wrote:

Dam DDR came out in 1999. It didn't go anywhere. There were very few machines made.

There are about 100 threads about it in Other Bemani.

And it's not even close to what "Karaoke Revolution" is supposed to be.

That looks alot cooler than Karaoke Revolution. That would actually be a cool game. (thats the thing I though Konami was talking about when they announced that thing about E3.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
Sonny_B
Basic Member
Basic Member

56. PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: [sighs] Reply with quote

The game is being created and EVERY thing by Harmonix. Harmonix is awsome at creating music and games.
When you people play Ampltude and Freq artist like:
DJ HMX
CHRIS CHILD
SYMBION PROJECT
FREEZEPOP
KOMPUTER CONTROLLER
etc... are Harmonix Artist.

I have a feeling the game had to go under Konami because mabye Konami had the idea for this kinda game all ready copyrighted just no one would make it. So if Harmonix went with Sony and made the game they may end up being sued.

The USA Artist love Harmonix, so I could imagin getting a pretty awsome soundtrack. Titanic song anyone :P

When I think about it I can only imagin having
7 songs under the Harmonix record label.
5 Konami Orginals and
18 songs from various record labels
30 songs as a result.

The game will own. Harmonix is known for creating good quality music and gameplay.
Remy
Trick Member
Trick Member

57. PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: [sighs] Reply with quote

Sonny_B wrote:
I have a feeling the game had to go under Konami because mabye Konami had the idea for this kinda game all ready copyrighted just no one would make it. So if Harmonix went with Sony and made the game they may end up being sued.

Wait, I don't get it. They *copyrighted* a game idea? You don't copyright ideas, you copyright names or brands. You patent ideas.

This is furthermore impossible because there've already been Karaoke games in Japan, from Jaleco, called Dream Audition.

This is Konami's game, this isn't Harmonix going "Hey, let's make a Karaoke game...and I guess we'll have to go with Konami".

Quote:
The USA Artist love Harmonix, so I could imagin getting a pretty awsome soundtrack. Titanic song anyone E10.gif

You don't think the variety of artists on Frequency and Amplitude have anything to do with, oh, Sony being behind the game? Harmonix were mostly unknown before Frequency came out.

Quote:
The game will own. Harmonix is known for creating good quality music and gameplay.

No offense to anyone from Harmonix reading this, but I haven't found Amplitude or Frequency to have outstanding gameplay over, say, Beatmania. I certainly love the online play for Amplitude, but the rest of the game leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Anyhow, back on topic; the screen shots on the official site frighten me just a little. I wonder if the avatar character will be lip-syncing to your voice...hmm.
Trick Member
Trick Member

58. PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting game there. E4.gif
Something else to sing to.
I think there should be a couple copyrighted songs from some artists(maybe something like Alicia Keys).

I know how to karaoke ever since I was 5, so it's not new to me. laugh.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
dj Zeph
Trick Member
Trick Member

59. PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, see Karaoke Revolution as a brilliant idea to continue their benami series of music games. Watching the videos from gamespot.com, I am very interested in playing it. This possibley new series of music games can also be a way to keep the songs that exist in the DDR games alive. I can imagine if they put Drop the Bomb in one of those games it would be pretty hard. I like this approach, although far from anything 100% new to the game market, it certainly is different in the American line of video games. Nowadays, you see a lot of the same type of games being made. Shooters, RPGs, crazy fighting games, etc. Few are actually memorable and true gems of games, like GoldenEye, Final Fantasy VII or Super Smash Brothers. The entire benami game series falls into this category of groundbreaking games, although they are overlooked, which is very sad. Games like Dance Dance Revolution are mostly not appreciated and underrated by those who are what I call the video game bandwagon; only trying the newset games that are acclaimed by almost every gaming source; never trying anything new. Karaoke Revolution is sort of symbolic to Konami's deidcation to keep bringing out games that are unlike what the majority of people buy. They actually make FUN games! Dancing is fun, and so is Karaoke! Isn't having fun the point of playing a game? I think so. IMO, it's very cool that they're doing this, and I know I'm going to buy it when it comes out.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: